l5p4ngl312

Are Helicopters going to be added again?

Remove the Huey and add in the Mi17 civilian chopper. It's big and slow with no means of defense. Perfect for DayZ.

Yes! It will be such a sought after prize. Squads and clans will be stumbling over themselves to work on repairing what is essentially a flying fucking death trap that will tumble out of the sky in a tangle of flaming bodies and molten metal at the first sign of an M249.

I know when I play I think to myself "Gee, this game would be so much better if only there were some way I could stuff every single one of my friends into a metal box and then fling them into the sky for all to see and shoot at, virtually guaranteeing their horrible deaths."

Like, why shouldn't they have a means to defend themselves?

I'm genuinely having trouble seeing the basis for this arbitrary distinction.

Closest we have to a answer:

I will however say that vehicles work much better now with 1.7.2.3 and latest build (less desync, havent had any players teleporting out of cars).

Servers that patch will get prioritized helicopter love. ;)

From this thread:

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/34798-arma2-patch-build-94997-now-running-on-some-servers/page__st__60

Post 67.

LOL The teribad netcode has been in the game 3years.

They are not going to change it now.

Servers desync players every 5seconds and if that happens in a helicopter passengers fall out and die.

The radar is op - whoever controls a copter controls the whole server for vehicles and camps.

Servers cant even handle 40 players running around never mind a few flying. I very much doubt Helicopters will ever return.

However they were fun while they lasted and I dont see why people cant have the choice to enable them on there servers or dissable.

99% of server owners would enable them, even with the bugs, radar and the lag. They would put up with it, just like they do with the rest of the game that is full of bugs, lag and other stuff that kills you.

I dissagree Orlok. Flying vehicles, and any vehicle with a mounted weapon on it just take you out of this game. I am certain they are perfectly valid for ARMA 2, but DayZ is a different animal all together.

If you are flying above the map, then you are removed from the zombies. You are removed from most other players. You are removed from what makes DayZ different from ARMA2. Yes civilian vehicles with no guns on them would be better than military vehicles with guns, but not by a whole lot because they still remove you from the world.

It is just my opinion, but if you want to fly then play ARMA2. If you want to kill zombies with jets and missles, and all of the gadgetry of ARM2, there are mods for that also. Come to DayZ for something different.

Hello there

Mostly i agree with you, I still do think they should be in the game, but hideously hard to get off the ground, and indeed, to keep in the air.

As they stand, without nerfing, mili helos should be out but perhaps ONE civvie transport which the server could work towards rebuilding to reach the safety of the NE island as some kind of (i hate to use the term) "endgame"?

Whatever, the helo's should be IMHO ultra rare and/or ultra difficult to maintain.

Rgds

LoK

I just wish they didn't have attached guns. Make the players shoot out with AK's, whatever they have. You could also increase fuel consumption and nerf speed (you didn't do a PERFECT job fixing it up, buddy)

Doesn't the helicopter just end up allowing only a few individuals completely own the island? That doesn't seem very fair to me.

If there were some anti-air guidance systems for launchers and whatnot, maybe it'd be a more viable in-game vehicle in terms of fairness - but honestly, how many times do the survivors scrounging around in ANY zombie apocalypse where they have NOTHING, EVER lead to them simply swooping back and forth over everybody's heads in a chopper?

In ANY good zombie movie or game, you don't get the helicopter until the end - where it won't even matter because everything's over anyway.

And that's my two cents! ^_^

-MONSTER

Dayz isn't supposed to be fair , the strong are supposed to end up on top , so if that means they find a helicopter and own the island then so be it.

Hasn't anybody read the new post in announcements on the new beta patch?! They are adding in "helicopter love" now!

Edited by Atamawood

perhaps ONE civvie transport which the server could work towards rebuilding to reach the safety of the NE island as some kind of (i hate to use the term) "endgame"?

I have to agree, I hate that term. I see people throwing it around all the time and it makes me cringe every time because it just proves that they don't get DayZ. There is no endgame. From my understanding of Rockets point of view there never will be an endgame, nor should there be. If you want "endgame" then Left4Dead, Dead Rising, or any number of other zombie related games that incorporate the concept of levels and a final scripted goal. The only endgame in DayZ is when you die and get to respawn on the beach.

I'm genuinely having trouble seeing the basis for this arbitrary distinction.

Every vehicle in the game takes me away from the zombies - none of them can be out run.
I'm glad you acknowledge that it's your opinion because to me this seems like a completely silly and arbitrary distinction to make.

Well of course its just my opinion. Honestly, I always feel odd having to say "IMO". Shouldnt the default assumption be that people are just talking out of their asses and giving their own horribly biased opinion, unless they specificaly state otherwise? And if anyone thinks their own opinion is not horribly biased then they need to wake up and stop being so deluded.

In the end somewhat arbitraty distinctions are all that you can go based on. I mean why don't we have laser rifles, longswords, breach loading muskets, or those classic Civil War Era (American) gattling guns? They don't fit the setting that is why. And why don't they fit the setting? Because of somewhat arbitrary distinctions. Distinctions in dates, distinctions in gere and setting. And that is where my distinctions come from. It's like the distinction between Dawn of the Dead (2004 specifically, because I think it is the better version) and Resident Evil Apocalypse. In Dawn you have a very minimalist approach to zombie defense, civilian firearms and hand to hand weapons. In RE you have the other end of the spectrum. This is an almost perfect example of this type of distinction, because in the end Dawn of the Dead is by far the better film. Similarly I think DayZ will be a better game by going minimalist also.

And I agree, I think all vehicles take you of of the game to one extent or another. And I would not be sad if they were all taken out. That, however, is unlikely to happen. So instead I choose to discuss what I see as being the worst of the bunch (choppers). So that is why I made that distinction.

As for the distinction of vehicles with mounted guns that one is pretty simple, though I will admit it could be based on faulty assumptions. I have never used a chopper nor been in one in the game. But from the video's I have seen the mounted guns seem to have unlimited ammo. If accurate, this allows people to fly around above the threat of zombies and fire to their hearts content at people on the ground. People who if they fire back, run the rick of alerting zombies, and running out of ammo in the process. This allows the people in the chopper to effectivly rule a server.

Dayz isn't supposed to be fair , the strong are supposed to end up on top , so if that means they find a helicopter and own the island then so be it.

You are incorrect. I believe what Rocket has said is that he has no intention of making the game balanced. Balanced and Fair are two very different concepts. The game not being balanced means "not all weapons are good. Some of them just suck, and some weapons are completely amazing". The game being fair means "Everyone can die. No one can be effectivly immune from harm or threat". Otherwise he would have open arms for the hackers who want to spawn battleships and chopped at the push of a button, I mean arn't those people stronger than the ones who can't do that? [Yes that is an example of Reductio ad Absurdum, but I use it to highlight a point].

Why not just add suitcase nukes to the game then? Really rare, but you set it on a timer and then it kills everyone and everything on half of the map. It's not fair, or balanced so you should love it. Or tanks? Im sure there would be some tanks laying around somewhere, lets add those in and see how much better the game gets. Oh thats right, it would be worse, not better.

Like, why shouldn't they have a means to defend themselves?

If vehicles must be in the game, then I agree people should be able to defend themselves from them. But not with mounted weapons that never run out of ammo (again see the assumption made above). Instead of putting weapons on the vehicles, why not simply allow people to fire out of the windows with their own guns? It seems a much better compromise to me.

Date and setting are not arbitrary distinctions. Those are actual distinctions. "Arbitrary" means a random or whimsical choice not based on reason. Date and setting are clearly reasons not to include ancient or future weapons in the game.

Just randomly removing this weapon or that one because you don't think they "fit" is... arbitrary. Unless you can come up with some substantive argument as to why they do not - but beware that most such arguments have tended to result in removal of pretty much every item in the game except the crossbow and tin cans.

And mounted weapons don't have unlimited ammo, FYI. They require M240 rounds.

Edited by ZedsDeadBaby

I do hope helicopters make a return in some form...

Even in the original Dawn of the Dead, I recall the main characters straffing ambling zombies with a helicopter before perching themselves ontop of the mall.

I hope rocket will bring us the civilian Mi17, aswell as a ported civilian plane from the original ARMA.... Perhaps including ONE rare gunship for folk to fight over. All of which have no radar. None of vehicles are immune to ground fire y'know.... A single well placed shot or two on a tail rotor can bring choppers spiraling down to earth. Drilling their fuel tank may force a landing later on. And lets not mention shooting at the flight crew from the ground. I also agree about the inclusion of the UAZ or Humvee. Ofcourse, any military vehicle should be extreamly rare.... making them a key asset that players are fighting over.

I like the idea of players fighting over scraps in Day Z...

Greed is entertaining to watch.

Edited by ScramUK

You guys gotta realize, yes arma can handle alot of players, ive been in a few 300 player PVP matches on vanilla arma (INFANTRY ONLY), but helicopters most likely wont be stable on day Z. This is because you have the Player numbers, combined with all the Zombie AI hopping around, and all the static objects/loot. Ask any Veteran Arma player and they will say all these things will wreak havok with any vehicle or player on a server not able to handle it. Everything on arma adds to the server load. When you fire a bullet, it makes a projectile, not a vector where its gonna hit like COD. If you move, lots of things happen with environment, like you moving grass and such. SO helis most likely will be unstable for a LONNNNG time

Hello there

A quick FYI, Helo's are vunerable to LMG fire as well as heavy sniper rifles.

rgds

LoK

(ps by "endgame" i ment more something to aim for after hitting the initial survival ceiling rather than an ummm ending of game)

• Like 1

I think it was a cool feature and a great goal for higher level players to work towards.

and by higher level you mean any group of nubs big enough to spread out and reach the known chopper spawns first and then converge on the relevant spot (hey just like vehiclke whoring), choppers arnt that hard to shoot down just a shame you loose all the gear in it when it goes bang

Edited by stuffnthings

Well lets test this out.. *Covers Random Items With Jet Fuel".. YUP it burns

Well lets test this out.. *Covers Random Items With Jet Fuel".. YUP it burns

im nto saying most of the gear wouldnt be scrapped, but chances are not everything would be, just like crashed heli spawns

just would be nice to get a reward for your effort besides the salty tears of 6 guys in a flying metal box you killed

Remove the Huey and add in the Mi17 civilian chopper. It's big and slow with no means of defense. Perfect for DayZ.

Someone mentioned vehicles with mounted guns shouldn't be in the game, I disagree. I would like to see UAZ's and HMMV's with 5.45 and 5.56 machine guns mounted. Not too powerful to OSK everything, but far better than scrounging around with Winchesters and Enfields.

you sir have hit it on the head, people are talking about the UH1 and the little bird .... its a former soviet block state the big lumbering russian helo's fit the theme so much more than american military grade ones do

Well, I dunno but I saw this happen.

http://dayzmod.com/f...licopter-crash/

see thats what im talkign about, as it currently stands destroy a vehicle and everything in it gets destroyed as well, if this kind thing happened would make the time and ammo spent shooting out the engine worth it

see thats what im talkign about, as it currently stands destroy a vehicle and everything in it gets destroyed as well, if this kind thing happened would make the time and ammo spent shooting out the engine worth it

the people mustve ejected in a attempt to live

I dissagree Orlok. Flying vehicles, and any vehicle with a mounted weapon on it just take you out of this game. I am certain they are perfectly valid for ARMA 2, but DayZ is a different animal all together.

If you are flying above the map, then you are removed from the zombies. You are removed from most other players. You are removed from what makes DayZ different from ARMA2. Yes civilian vehicles with no guns on them would be better than military vehicles with guns, but not by a whole lot because they still remove you from the world.

It is just my opinion, but if you want to fly then play ARMA2. If you want to kill zombies with jets and missles, and all of the gadgetry of ARM2, there are mods for that also. Come to DayZ for something different.

You are till you run out of gas and ammo while also taking damage from ground fire. Plus it is a UH-1H not a Y or AH-1 that has firepower or speed. I see that it fits the elements of the game especially only having a very limited number of them per server. If you think about it it is a very plausible scenerio hell I live near a AF boneyard with plenty of them sitting in a mothball state if this scenerio were to happan IRL someone with the know how could get one or a few running.

Edited by NateTheRipper

FYI, I did an interview with Rocket yesterday and he said that Helicopters are coming back soon and that the radar will be removed. Interview coming on Monday...

IMO Helicopters should stay out. They don't fit the feel of the game. You are supposed to be running around scrounging to live, not zooming around in a flying death machine immune to zombies and much safer from player reprisal than you should be (I didn't say immune, just much safer). If the chopper didnt have a side door gun then my opinion would change some, but still not a whole lot.

Immune? say that to my M107 or AS50. 2 shots take chopper out! <_<