ZedsDeadBaby

[UPDATED] Weekly Stats, PvP Trends

Edit: So I don't have to mention this 15 more times in the thread, deaths by respawn are not counted among these stats (source).

Updated 22nd July

Another huge week for new players: 168,691 new survivors.

Meanwhile, banditry and murder rates as a percentage of totals have held basically steady. No major swings in one direction or the other. Though, to note, still lower in both categories than they were two weeks ago.

Interesting!

anAJv.png

Edited by ZedsDeadBaby
  • Like 11

The very low percentage of deaths due to PVP is very surprising to me. I'd say 9 times out of 10 when I die it's from being shot. And on average when I die I usually have between 5 and 15 murders.

I wounder if it PVP deaths count from bleeding out due to a gun shot?

• Like 1

The very low percentage of deaths due to PVP is very surprising to me. I'd say 9 times out of 10 when I die it's from being shot. And on average when I die I usually have between 5 and 15 murders.

If you're dying with that many murders, it means you're spending your time seeking out other players and engaging in pretty dangerous game play. It shouldn't surprise you that your lives end violently more often than not.

The stats show that not all players take this approach to the game (despite insistence by some on the forums that it's the only way people choose to play).

I wounder if it PVP deaths count from bleeding out due to a gun shot?

Yes, since these deaths will increment your "Murder" or "Bandit Kill" count they are included. You don't have to deliver a killing blow provided you initiate a fatal wound.

Edited by ZedsDeadBaby

Pretty interesting. I assume that most players don't post on the forums, so we probably don't get a good sense of how rampant pvp is just based on the forum posts. I would imagine that most new players die to zombies a lot. I know I did.

If you're dying with that many murders, it means you're spending your time seeking out other players and engaging in pretty dangerous game play. It shouldn't surprise you that your lives end violently more often than not.

The stats show that not all players take this approach to the game (despite insistence by some on the forums that it's the only way people choose to play).

Yes, since these deaths will increment your "Murder" or "Bandit Kill" count they are included. You don't have to deliver a killing blow provided you initiate a fatal wound.

I've shot at would be bandits which ended up killing them but never recieved the kill or bandit kill however usually this is due to them dieing while knocked out.

Edited by Orthus

I killed some guy who was proned in a ghillie suit and M4A3 CCO watching a doorway in a night server at the NWAF.

I got a murder for it but I know he was trying to start a life of banditry.

A lot of would-be bandits probably die before they can ever achive banditry.

And what if he just secured the way for his friends so they can loot safely?

I killed some guy who was proned in a ghillie suit and M4A3 CCO watching a doorway in a night server at the NWAF.

I got a murder for it but I know he was trying to start a life of banditry.

A lot of would-be bandits probably die before they can ever achive banditry.

Or, perhaps like you he was on the look-out for bandits? They visit the NWAF for items, too, you know?

Or maybe he was covering a friend's approach? An advance scout?

Or just a curious person visiting the NWAF air field for the first time after getting lucky at a chopper crash?

You murdered someone. That's fine. Don't try to justify it with some kind of Minority Report department of future crime bullshit. You were the bandit in this scenario.

Edited by ZedsDeadBaby
  • Like 7

Pretty interesting. I assume that most players don't post on the forums, so we probably don't get a good sense of how rampant pvp is just based on the forum posts. I would imagine that most new players die to zombies a lot. I know I did.

It's the stereotype of game forums.

Whiners will visit more often.

Doesn't surprise me. I've died maybe 15 times in Day Z, only 3 were at the hands of other players. I tend to avoid the "OMG PVP" debates, because I honestly never saw it as much of a problem. It exists, but it doesn't seem as ubiquitous as some angry threads make it out as.

Good work ZDB.

Are you sure it's not because people have stopped playing the game properly for any length of time because of the game ruining update?

It's only surprising because in the last 2 months of playing, I've only met 2 people who were friendly. Everyone else who I've met has shot me, or tried to shoot me. I know that being a bandit means that I'll get mine from another player eventually, it's only that while I do seek out other players, a very tiny fraction of them have been friendly or even willing to part ways without confrontation, and I always try to talk to them before the shooting starts.

80% of the death are made by captain respawn.

Oh I feel stupid. Or I feel like you're smart. :(

accidental respawn? cause as far as I know respawning till you end up where you want doesn't count.

Deaths by re-spawn are ignored. They are not counted among the stats. (Source)

Are you sure it's not because people have stopped playing the game properly for any length of time because of the game ruining update?

Obviously not since the "last players per 24h" stat has been going up, not down.

Edited by ZedsDeadBaby

I like the work you put into this. I just don't get the point at all of comparing stats when you don't have all of the pieces of the pie to compare. I'd wager to say that over half the deaths don't even happen due to people dc'ing, server swapping, then morphine up and surviving....

So really, I don't get the point of this..It's nice to look at but it's extremely flawed as the data itself is flawed in nature and will not be accurate. Also I'm not sure if people spamming deaths for cherno respawn points counts as a death that was included in your data.

All in all, this is really not an accurate view of anything, but stats are always nice to look at.

Well the data is accurate in what it actually tracks, as in deaths of players who have tried to survive (which if I'm correct 5+ counts as an attempt). Now yes players are still D/C and patching up but they do still live and those who do die on reconnect are counted as deaths (maybe not to pvp but they do die.). Now if it did count spamming deaths than not only would average life span be shorter but the death would be inflated.

You have pretty good analysis with one flaw. The sample size is two. Hardly even close to enough to make any kind of accurate analysis.

You have pretty good analysis with one flaw. The sample size is two. Hardly even close to enough to make any kind of accurate analysis.

Uhh, that's not how sample size works. Two snap shots of millions and millions of data points does not equal a sample size of two.

There were 2,788,199 survival attempts this week. That's my sample size.

Edited by ZedsDeadBaby

dont forget people suiciding to get to a better spot.

These figures are utterly astounding to me.

I don't recall the last time I died to a zombie; somewhere near when I began playing about 2 months ago.

Every life since has been PvP and most times I've taken another player's life before that's happened.

I hope you know it's not a good idea to get into a statistics debate here. Especially with Zed'sDeadBaby

Uhh, that's not how sample size works. Two snap shots of millions and millions of data points does not equal a sample size of two.

You're trying to see trend as a function of time. Yes, you have a lot of data points, but you only have two data points for your time (that's your domain). To see an accurate trend, you need way more than two "time data points" if you will.