michael.lerch@hotmail.com

Do not password your servers

He wasn't complaining Tyrsted, he was just bringing it to the attention of the devs. No need to have a go at him.

Against the rules? I'd give them the benefit of the doubt, in that maybe they don't know about this non-existent set of rules, which consists of multiple forums posts all over the place, rumours, and contradictory statements by various DayZ staff and 'unofficial' DayZ staff.

Where is the big long list of rules saying what server admins can and can't do? Why should server admins have to browse these forums, with 90% spam, just to find out what they aren't allowed to do? When they find out what they can do, DayZ staff come and wipe it all out and make changes to undo all their hard work anyway.

Where is the big long list of rules saying what server admins can and can't do?

Right here' date=' the stickied thread entitled "Want to host a DayZ Server? Read in here.":

BEWARE - The same restrictions apply to Non-Dev run servers!

- IT MAY NEVER BE PASSWORDED

- NO EXCESS KEYS OR MODS

- NO KICKING TO MAKE ROOM FOR 'FRIENDS' OR CLANMATES

- IT'S YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO UPDATE YOUR SERVER TO THE LATEST VERSION OF DAYZ

Failure to adhere to these rules will BAN YOUR SERVER'S IP from DayZ.

http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=1429

First of all, I think it's GREAT that you help out the community and host servers. Wow, you do more than I ever could.

However......

That was tough. Its the first thread on this section of the forums. It's right in there, Under Importqnt Threads.

http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=1429

I've had a lot of requests in regards to getting a server up and what kind of requirements are needed to run a DayZ server. So I thought I'd put together a small guide as to how to go about it.

First of all, a DayZ server requires Remote Desktop Access and Windows (Unfortunately Linux isn't supported as of yet). This rules out server providers such as Gameservers which only provide you with a Web Interface and FTP.

Second, your server needs to be able to handle Terra-bytes of bandwidth monthly. Some servers are chewing through 2TB of bandwidth a month. So be mindful of that.

Thirdly, the specifications. Below is a rough list of requirements to have a comfortable 50 player server.

* Quad Core CPU @ 3Ghz+ (CPU is the main enforcer in a ArmA server, so the more powerful the better)

* 2GB+ Ram (Ram isn't a big issue in an ArmA server, so don't be overly concerned with having copious amounts [16GB+] of it as it won't be required)

* 50GB+ HDD (Preferably SATA3 or SSD) (ArmA 2 CO and the DayZ Mod take up approx. 20GB)

* Bandwidth at least 2TB a month. (As stated earlier, at least 2TB is required)

Finally, if you think you have what it takes, then we're more than happy to get your server running as soon as possible.

First point of call is to email; dayzdevteam@gmail.com - If you haven't received a response from that email after a day or so, then feel free to email me; dayzmatt@gmail.com I'll try and get to you.

I'll be unable to provide the best 'Server Providers' to approach to get a good server, I leave that up to you. Just look through different providers, compare prices and specifications and ensure they match what a DayZ server requires.

UPDATE 14-MAY-2012

For any server admins who have been hesitant to give RDP information to us, then don't be afraid, we are opening the doors for everyone to setup their own DayZ servers! (Server admins who give Devs RDP will have priority in regards to new files, updates, restarts etc)

However... In order to operate, you must first speak with a server administrator, such as myself, and we must issue you a Instance number. Every different server (even 2 on the same box) require it's own instance number, or mission ID number. At the moment, we're up to 130+. So if you would like to run your own server, then please let me know, or easier, email dayzdevteam@gmail.com, and I, or another server admin, will hand out the required readme and instance mission file for you to operate, run and maintain you're own server.

BEWARE - The same restrictions apply to Non-Dev run servers!

- IT MAY NEVER BE PASSWORDED

- NO EXCESS KEYS OR MODS

- NO KICKING TO MAKE ROOM FOR 'FRIENDS' OR CLANMATES

- IT'S YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO UPDATE YOUR SERVER TO THE LATEST VERSION OF DAYZ

Failure to adhere to these rules will BAN YOUR SERVER'S IP from DayZ.

If you have any questions, then please post in this thread, or email me; dayzmatt@gmail.com

We're always on the look out for servers, so please feel free to contact us if you want to get involved!

You know, where it says "want to host a days server? Read in here"

Yep, so as you can see from the gentlemen who helped me out here and pointed out that the BR server should not be passworded..

DayZ is in alpha. The developers have made a clear set of rules that server administrators must follow. In fact, if a server admin was in this discussion they would tell you that they have to read and accept the rules to running a DayZ server. It's very strict and over 80% of the people who apply to run a DayZ server get denied.

I run with the facts mate, I don't dance in the bush with my pants off shouting "wolf wolf!"

Well Antipop edited his post in that thread on the 14th, so I never read the thread again since it was edited. Our servers were setup before that date, with no instructions, no how-to's, or advice on what to do, and what not to do.

I guess server admins are expected to read the same threads over and over again, incase they're updated?

I still stand by my statement, which was not in direct response to passwording servers either. Just overall lack of info given to server hosts. There was nothing saying you have to have a dedicated IP for example, or that you must run at least X number of slots. Nothing about what configs and difficulty settings to run, etc. We ended up fine-tuning our server quite a bit, and several times DayZ mods have RDP'ed in, and undone it all, often making really noob mistakes in the process, such as wiping out difficulty settings, renaming the server, or just using generic passwords. There's obviously little structure within the Dev team, and it shows. We don't even know when an update is out, without checking the forums frequently, or looking at other server names. If you're a server admin, and want to just talk with other server admins, you can't do it. Make a post anywhere here and it gets flooded with bunch of kids who have NFI what they're talking about, but just love to fill up every thread with their spamming opinions.

myv5U.jpg

And they're still having their server locked.

I find it hilarious that, currently, only the Brazilians are doing this.

People aren't complaining about this because they can't be on the server.

It's more like people can selectively join that server and loot stuff that in other servers, you would have to be sneaky about, such as NW Airfield.

The main problem with this is that the people with access to that server are semi-cheating... it means they can just ROFLstomp through the world as a group, building up a huge stash of stuff with no fear of loosing any of it and then go on other servers with all that stuff which makes it unfair against others who always have to worry about other survivors and bandits and cant rally just blast though all the towns and stuff like that.

There's no-one in the server. Is it possible they just lock it at certain hours of the day to keep their bandwidth usage down?

I think having a place whee server admins could post outside of our view is a great idea.

If the devs are messing up your settings, hopefully you can have a productive discussion with them.

Why lock something at? Couldn't they take it offline and it wouldn't show up at all? I think it makes the suspicious among us think shenanigans are afoot.

I think having a place whee server admins could post outside of our view is a great idea.

IMAGINE if this existed! IMAGINE if server admins would post in such a forum, if it existed!

IMAGINE if this existed! IMAGINE if server admins would post in such a forum' date=' if it existed!

[/quote']

Sarcasm noted, but It seemed like Freeborne was indicating that there is not such a place... So I was more replying to his post. If there is a place, maybe let him know.

L

I believe that server is password protected because it is not whitelisted, hence, it is not working.

guys stop all the pitchforks over pass-worded/locked servers. I can bet that the devs are very aware of them, as they probably watch the server list/logs.

To be honest, i've passworded my Server sometimes too. But there are good reasons from my point of view to do so, and before you are complaining about it, i will share the reasons.

But before i do so, ask yourself the following question:

- Do you want play on a stable, reliable, fast server which will run and run without problems?

- Or do you prefer Server which shutdown/restart on behalf of the serveradmin?

I prefer the first one. And to have a stable, reliable, fast and long running server i have to make stability/stress test, fix problems, performance tuning and so one. Sure, i can deactivate the Password Protection, sure i can let ppl play on the Server but this will cause only frustration and lose in reputation if server will crash or make weird stuff.

And actually i have to restart my server every 3-4 Hours otherwise it just stop working. If you don't believe me just read the Thread: Server issue. It makes no sense at the moment to let the server run public anymore.

If you still think this is wrong, then please, host your own server, put your free time just to solidify it, pay for it from your own pocket and then get complains from 'guests' about locked servers. Every server which runs crappy will not only reduce the reputation of the server itself, it will also decrease it from the Mod!

And what's up with the "Premium DayZ Server"?

Hmm Premium? What exactly do you mean?

if i wasn't clear enough, if the server is password locked, only myself will be connected or nobody. There aren't any reserved slots or anything else like this.

we only lock full server so it stops the constant stream of people connecting disconnecting! and then every 15/30 minutes I open it to let it fill up!

this way we don't get alot of red chains!

I considered doing that, Belgarion. Not sure if the Dev's would approve though :/

Hmm Premium? What exactly do you mean?

if i wasn't clear enough' date=' if the server is password locked, only myself will be connected or nobody. There aren't any reserved slots or anything else like this.

[/quote']

The DayZ premium server is password locked and do have more than one players.

Maybe someone selling guaranteed playspots