Sign in to follow this  
gimpymoo

Bury loot in the woods?

What do people think?

Obviously, there has to be an element of risk as in it can be found by another player so you have to "bury" loot as remotely as possible.

This could be expanded with future updates to maybe sniffer dogs finding loot - lol

Thoughts?

How the hell are you supposed to find it, let alone anyone else? Woods aren't very varied and one patch of ground in between trees looks very similar to another.

What do people think?

Obviously' date=' there has to be an element of risk as in it can be found by another player so you have to "bury" loot as remotely as possible.

This could be expanded with future updates to maybe sniffer dogs finding loot - lol

Thoughts?

[/quote']

It would be better off flipped around. Oppose to a player burying loot in the woods there could be spawned loot in the woods other than deerhuts.

This is a very good idea, and you could simply mark the location on a printed map in order to find it. I wonder what the technical issues of this feature would be though..

Would need to consider how long to leave loot before removing it from the server in the interest of storage/network etc.

I don't like the idea of spawned loot in the woods, there is already rabbits. Theoretically, with matches, a hunting knife, a crossbow and a water bottle, you never have to go back to the cities.

I like the core suggestion, but there is the potential to make the game too safe and easy. Of course you could very well forget where you buried it, or lose it in a server crash. But it makes sense, you might choose a particular tree in a field, or a grave in a cemetery.

caves here and there would be possible hiding places.

Or the ability to mark a tree or a rock? Spraypaint? Each tree and rock has a database number in Arma II (for those of you who know, check the Arma II editor).

Or you could just remember. That way the cache only has to have on set of world coordinates. Anyone who gets close enough would have opening the cache come up as an option in their scolly menu.

How the hell are you supposed to find it' date=' let alone anyone else? Woods aren't very varied and one patch of ground in between trees looks very similar to another.

[/quote']

That's the point. It's a really sure fire way to store some gear but youll need to be very careful you don't lose it yourself. Thus, it is balanced.

I'm all for it...

edit: actually, you could maybe make a tiny mound of earth in the ground. That way if you hide it somewhere easy to remember, like on a specific building which draws the eye, it will also be drawing other players eyes too - while they might not check around randomly for invisible stashes, in an area of interest they might keep a keener look out.

Then there'd be an advantage to burying things out in the wilderness where nobody's likely to notice.

You could make it store less than a tent, and disallow people from placing too many buried caches within a radius of say, 250m... So they couldnt just stack them up to reach the capacity of a tent.

How the hell are you supposed to find it' date=' let alone anyone else?

[/quote']

Geo-Caching!

This is a great suggestion if you ask me.

How the hell are you supposed to find it, let alone anyone else? Woods aren't very varied and one patch of ground in between trees looks very similar to another.

Why should it be easy? The fun's in the challenge; count trees, take notes, use your compas and count steps. People with good orientational skills will be able to bury and recover their supplies easily.

Other survivors should also be able to dig up somebody else's buried goods if they happen to stumble on it.

I'd say; add a shovel item and add a "dig" prompt to bury stuff. Add a "dig up loose ground" prompt (like the "fill water" prompt) when people walk over the spot. I think it would be a good and more secure alternative for the tent. But what it gains in security, it should lose in capacity. For example 5 to 10 slots instead of the 50 slots the tent has.

Not sure how it should be handled practically though. Maybe serverbased like the tent and a limit of 1 per person? Also maybe have it whiped after the player hasn't been on that particular server for a week?

I'd say an unlimited amount, since its lootable by all, and loosable by the player. Like tents it could disappear 2 days after a character dies.

Having a shovel tool and the "spot" be a small mound is good. Also it possibly provides the nefarious reasons to search the woods/unpopulated areas for free stuff. Could it also cause humanity loss? Only Rocket will decide...

I would like to be able to bury stuff for others to find, perhaps with dog companions.

This is a great suggestion if you ask me.

How the hell are you supposed to find it' date=' let alone anyone else? Woods aren't very varied and one patch of ground in between trees looks very similar to another. [/quote']

Why should it be easy? The fun's in the challenge; count trees, take notes, use your compas and count steps. People with good orientational skills will be able to bury and recover their supplies easily.

Other survivors should also be able to dig up somebody else's buried goods if they happen to stumble on it.

I'd say; add a shovel item and add a "dig" prompt to bury stuff. Add a "dig up loose ground" prompt (like the "fill water" prompt) when people walk over the spot. I think it would be a good and more secure alternative for the tent. But what it gains in security, it should lose in capacity. For example 5 to 10 slots instead of the 50 slots the tent has.

Not sure how it should be handled practically though. Maybe serverbased like the tent and a limit of 1 per person? Also maybe have it whiped after the player hasn't been on that particular server for a week?

100% Seconded. Came in to the thread to suggest the same thing, could not have said it better myself. Although the "wipe" should be performed after 72 hours of character-to-server inactivity. That way you have a "temporary" storage, that's remotely secured, so it's not like some official stash, just a little treat for the players who enjoy a little safe spot.

Another good reason to implement this would be that fact that, (while dropping your weapons in a completely remote area is safe,) we all know that those items on the ground can happen to get sucked in to the Earth as if it were a hungry vortex from time to time, so having a solid "storage" hole with the properties of a Gear menu would be absolutely delightful... it'd also be a great way to be sure all our goodies don't disappear when we're trying our best to keep them!

How do you find it? You mark it on your in-game map. Yeah, stuff repeats itself, but if you know roughly where your loot was stored you should be able to find unique markers around it.

OR add a small, hard to notice indicator. Some stones piled a certain way, or a couple of sticks propped up.

That said, we do have tents that more or less do this, so...