DayZPvP.com

Ultimate FOV (Field of View) Guide for ArmA 2 and DayZ from DayZPvP.com

I think it's 70 too. 65 just seems way to low.

Thank you for the calculations. I might just make a chart with the adjusted FOV's to save people time.

I'm running a 1920x1080 display at 1.83x1.03 FOV. I want to use the smallest HUD, but that makes all the HUD elements move towards the center of the screen. Anyone got any thoughts on how to tweak settings in the config file to move them to the edges of the screen again? Perhaps some values for the uiTopLeftX, uiTopLeftY, uiBottomRightX and uiBottomRightY settings?

I'm running a 1920x1080 display at 1.83x1.03 FOV. I want to use the smallest HUD, but that makes all the HUD elements move towards the center of the screen. Anyone got any thoughts on how to tweak settings in the config file to move them to the edges of the screen again? Perhaps some values for the uiTopLeftX, uiTopLeftY, uiBottomRightX and uiBottomRightY settings?

I have no experience with those UI values, but I will see if I can find anything about it.

I have no experience with those UI values, but I will see if I can find anything about it.

Since I upgraded to 25248, I set the aspect ratio in-game to 16/9, then edited fovLeft and fovTop to get my desired fov, and now the HUD elements are at their standard positions at the edges of the screen, even at the smallest HUD settings. I suppose maybe I did some bad edits to the old config file or something. Oh well!

Since I upgraded to 25248, I set the aspect ratio in-game to 16/9, then edited fovLeft and fovTop to get my desired fov, and now the HUD elements are at their standard positions at the edges of the screen, even at the smallest HUD settings. I suppose maybe I did some bad edits to the old config file or something. Oh well!

So you are trying to have the HUD icons toward the middle? I have seen that before.

Hey Guys,

In my opinion the standard fov is too small, so I changed it to something like 85, but there's one problem: when you change your fov to a higher value, your watch, GPS and compass get smaller. At the moment my setting is:

fovTop=0.94999999;

fovLeft=1.6888889;

Resolution: 1920x1080 (3D Resolution 100%)

(thats a 80-90 fov)

and I can still use the watch and the gps, but it's impossible to read the numbers on the compass as they become too small. When I was playing with the standard fov it was no problem to me. So is there any way to make the compass a bit larger? I've attached two Images, one with the 16:9 standard Fov and one with my changed (something like 85) fov. Does anybody know what to do so the compass becomes a bit larger? There are some mods, but they can not be used online i think..

Edit: Images are being compressed by the forum, so you can't read the numbers on both pictures. Ingame there is a big difference.

post-76312-0-77195000-1343694970_thumb.j

post-76312-0-45767400-1343694976_thumb.j

Edited by He3lixxx

To be honest with you, I changed the FOV right after I bought ArmA 2 OA, a couple years ago I think. Basically every time I buy a new game the first thing I do is change the FOV. So I don't know how it is stock, but you are right the compass numbers are very small.I am going to add something in the post about that to warn people.

So I have never read the compass numbers. I was a boy scout and I was in the military so I kind of just know the numbers. It seems for DayZ you will never need to say anything beyond NSEW or N by NW for example.

If you figure something out, let me know and I will update.

A little help if you will... 1280x1024 on a 22" CRT (4:3 AR).

Can you suggest settings for say 70, 75 and 80?

A little help if you will... 1280x1024 on a 22" CRT (4:3 AR).

Can you suggest settings for say 70, 75 and 80?

Did you figure it out yet? If not pick a FOV and I will help you.

I have 1366 by 768 and im too lazy for this math its summer lol but i will try feel free to help me

I changed the fov for my 1600X1200 screen and it keeps placing the debug menu off screen, only half of the menu is visible.

Aspect ratio is 4:3 and my calculations gave me:

fovTop=1.29;

fovLeft=1.72;

for the values.

Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: This is for 90 degree fov

Edit 2: Problem has resolved itself.

Edited by JKenny

I'm changing the values but the FOV still seems the same for me. Is there something wrong ? It feels like there isn't a change even thought I did it.

Help please :(

I'm changing the values but the FOV still seems the same for me. Is there something wrong ? It feels like there isn't a change even thought I did it.

Help please :(

I have tried 90, 85, 80 degrees but I didn't like it. It had too "fishy" look.

What is your screen resolution? I can post you values which I calculated for 1920x1080.

What is the default fov for arma? I have changed it and now I can't estimate range with mildots or PSO-O rangefinder. It think I get like 15% more or less to the range. :/

Well humans have almost have 180 degree field of view (couldn't find the exact) so can we can the line(s) of code for a correct human FOV or at least 180?

This doesn't work for me. I went through the whole procedure and tried different FOV settings. Will someone please help?

Can someone give me the exact FoV number for Top/Left > screen resolution 1280x720

Edited by RuthlessBandit

.....or you can just have a killer rig with a 3x23" eyefinity setup : P Actually I'm glad you posted this because I think I can use FOV adjustment to reduce the stretching effect I get at the edges of the side screens. Not entirely sure if I want to give up the magnifying effect I get from it though....although I will basically have more magnification on my main screen if I adjust my FOV down.

Would someone mind double checking mine for me to make sure I did everything correctly?

Monitor Resolution: 1360x768 (16:9) (not a laptop :P , 19" 720p HDTV)

BF3 Calculator's Calculated vertical FOV setting: 59 (desired horizontal FOV @ 90 degrees)

59 degrees = 1.02974426 radians (according to a GOOGLE search)

Final result:

fovTop=1.03;

fovLeft=1.83;

Once again if someone wouldn't mind double checking I'd appreciate it.

P.S. Beans will be given to helpful posts.

Edited by CS14

I set my FOV to 90 degrees and it looks way better than default. I have only one problem: size of compass, watch and GPS are so small that they are almost unusable. Any ideas how to fix them?