iexus

Would it be possible for players to "turn" when bitten..

Hello, I've had a search and couldn't see anyone else obviously suggesting something similar but apologies if they have. That said my idea was:

Would it be possibly for players. once bitten / scratched by a zombie, to slowly "turn" into those they so despise.(Note: chance to become infected would be incredibly small, we already must be slightly resistant to have not been infected with everyone else right?).

It wouldn't be instant and would take several hours to progress through stages (thinking similar to the infection you can get from being out in the rain / cold only not just a cough) and if possible the player themselves wouldn't be told via a HUD element they would have to work it out themselves. There might be a cure. This could perhaps tie into the end game content with players having to collect several elements and combine them somehow (research lab in the hospital anyone?).

Symptoms that you had been bitten would be pretty innocuous to begin with:

- You find yourself becoming out of breath quicker for all physical activity

- Your temperature drops slightly despite being in sunshine / warmth

- Your vision slowly turns grey (similar to blood effect .. perhaps more subtle?)

These would be the first minor signs, things that some players wouldn't even notice to begin with. As the infection spreads however:

- Your ability to aim is impaired and when iron sighted you turn slowly and ungainly

- You wheeze and cough a lot (perhaps same noise as cold .. less obvious)

- When out of breath you begin to moan

- When "excited" or rather scared you might emit a growl or snarl

- Odd walking animation, looks "stiff", "shuffling"

These are my favourite ideas:

- When looking at another player your hunger increases (*drool* braaaaains)

- Increased sensitivity to loud noises / footsteps

Eventually you find yourself here (and this is the stage where you cannot be cured):

- Cannot run, only shuffle whilst stood up, pain in joints,can crouch and move faster

- Unable to handle basic instruments / weapons

- Insatiable hunger for all food

- Vision completely altered

- Every noise is a pounding bang

From here I was unsure, I'd love you to fully become a zombie and have players kill you but whether or not you would be in control or simply get a "you are dead" message I don't know. I would love to have this in the game though, I can't help but think it would make interesting moments in group play where you suddenly have to ask everyone "did anyone get bit?".

The complexity of it might be a bit too much but I just love the idea of suddenly realising whilst you're walking in a building with your friends and going.... Oh god .... it's me .... I'm the zombie ... and crying as your now uncontrollable body runs at your friends snarling.

Edited by iexus
  • Like 3

I've seen this suggestion before but this is the first one thats actually worked out a bit. I most say that I don't hate the idea, only problem I see with it is that it would make the learning curve for new players even more harsh. xP

+1

Well, due to the way zombies move... you're more likely than not to get hit countless times during a life. It's often more expedient to just let them get on top of you and have them be stationary to kill them, than waste rounds trying to bean them on the move.

Subsequently, if an "infection" thing were to be implemented... people would be getting infected left and right. Broken legs, bleeding, and sickness are already pretty unforgiving for those who are unprepared.

It's a good idea though, just needs to be caveated by something like "X (insert very small number here) percent of the time when hit, you have a chance to get infected with the virus".

• Like 1

I'll edit it, I always thought the chance would have to be incredibly small for the very reasons you mention!

Sickness should be used more. You can only get sick while camping in the bushes with your sniperrifle right? So why not get sick from a Z attack? Makes antibiotics worth gold.

I think some sort of locked in scenario would be good for when you actually turn, i.e you can see whats happening but have absolutely no control over it. It would at the very least make some really entertaining vids. Thumbs up for a good idea OP

• Like 1

I wouldn't like to play as a zombie. Good idea though if players were able to be infected and had to scavenge items for a cure, just maybe they would die if they didn't find one.

I wouldn't like to play as a zombie. Good idea though if players were able to be infected and had to scavenge items for a cure, just maybe they would die if they didn't find one.

That's kind of what I was thinking, at the moment illness isn't really a big issue for most people and it might spice it up a little / make anti-biotics worth while.

I would like to see implemented a system where if you are killed by zombies your body would get up after a set time (30 mins or so) and it walks around with all your gear. So that way, someone could kill the zombie and get some decent drops, provided you had anything when you died.

i kinda like the idea of thinking i am dead... then several hours later wake back up on the beach with nothing but fully healed...

"You Are Dead" probably the best idea. You can find your old body as a zombie at the last known location to kill it and retrieve all your old equipments. This would be awesome. It might be a bit tricky to make the implementation, though. :)

Anyway, +1 to the TS idea.

Edited by Jacques

I've thought about this myself and the way you think. I think this idea is really nice and would add some nice features to the game. +1

I really like this. Also potentially interesting for killed players to 'come back' as zombies after a while. Potentially with all their old gear on them .. ? Or they could simply walk away from it on the ground. If the zombie kept the loot, that might make it harder for people to retrieve 'their' old gear after they die, when it can just walk off.

Edited by chhopsky