rocket

Kicking of Players for Clan members

I find it a shame that people just think they can assume control over goods that a customer payed for.

As company you had an idea for a mod, to make this idea happen, you needed a "hive", yet you didn't want to go thru the hassle of hosting servers yourself.

Instead you leave this to the customer, who pays (quite alot per slot compared to other games) for it and then you act all government on them and decide the rules.

Since when have dedicated servers become this limited to control?! What's the point of renting out a dedi server if the owner can't even have full control over it.

The only ways to solve this is either have each server have their own DB, simple.

Or host your own servers and don't let people pay for what YOU should be paying for.

Edited by sausje
  • Like 1

I find it a shame that people just think they can assume control over goods that a customer payed for.

As company you had an idea for a mod, to make this idea happen, you needed a "hive", yet you didn't want to go thru the hassle of hosting servers yourself.

Instead you leave this to the customer, who pays (quite alot per slot compared to other games) for it and then you act all government on them and decide the rules.

Since when have dedicated servers become this limited to control?! What's the point of renting out a dedi server if the owner can't even have full control over it.

The only ways to solve this is either have each server have their own DB, simple.

Or host your own servers and don't let people pay for what YOU should be paying for.

You want to use THEIR hive to host your server, rules like the ones in place now are there to prevent exploitation of the persistent database. If you think it's expensive to host your game server then you have no idea how expensive it is to host the hive.

Edited by icomrade

Its his right to give away server to who he chooses!!! are you crazy, he aint giving them away like fucking birthday gifts, we pay for them and you say were lucky to own a server... why? why are we lucky... what benefits do you get for the money you pay to host the server? I respect rocket but he is the lucky one to have a community willing to support his mod by buying servers.

You are getting the benefit of hosting a server for a mod. Exactly what it says when you sign up.

You decide to pay for that privilege, knowing full well the restrictions imposed. It is not anyone's problem if you feel entitled to more.

Hosting of DayZ servers currently costs my company around $700 a month -- and I haven't played the game in weeks, I don't have any vehicles on any of my twelve servers, all I have on one of them is a small camp with some stuff that is probably long gone -- and I don't really care.

Why am I doing this? Because I *like* this game, because I want to *support* this game and its development and that's worth that money to me.

At the moment, this game does not offer features like "clan only servers", "passworded" servers or in any other way private servers. That may change in the future, but right now that's the way things are.

It is completely okay to state your views on the matter, to say that you'd like to see private hives, but the thing is, you're not doing that. You and a lot of other people are aggressively calling for that, some people are insulting, claiming they are entitled when they're clearly not; other people use private hives that violate the express wishes of the mod's creator and the terms of use of the mod.

Edited by jwiechers
  • Like 2

nvm no point going into discussion :)

Edited by sausje

Sure a realtime tracking database connected to hundreds of servers globally in constant states of read / write. No, not expensive at all . . . . .

You seem to have zero knowledge about networking and serverhosting if you actually think your words are true... (yes, that is correct, you do seem to have zero idea)

First come first serve. If your clan members were hard core they'd already be on the game instead of waiting for someone to leave.

Some people don't live off mummy's allowance and actually have to work for a living. Not every clan or player is "hardcore" - hardcore being your definition of not having a single fucking thing to do during the day.

Edited by Werelds

Wouldn't a lot of these issues been solved if you permitted servers to either use a local database versus using the global database? That way you can have global db servers that follow the kick rules, no passwords etc. But then for people who want to just enjoy the game with their buddies let them have their own server config and db. That way people can't accumulate rocket launchers and tanks in their own private servers and then launch attacks on the publics. How about it?

It wouldn't solve anything since the players from private servers can just loot whatever they want between them, then flood the public servers and have an unfair advantage over regular players. This has been discussed a dozen times, really.

Like I said its just a MOD who cares who has the advantage? With the amount of Hacks out there and the server count is so high just goto a different server. So it would solve a lot. Just a mod just a mod LOL

Kickng players is the only option right now.

Edited by PorkChop1

Sure a realtime tracking database connected to hundreds of servers globally in constant states of read / write. No, not expensive at all . . . . .

You seem to have zero knowledge about networking and serverhosting if you actually think your words are true... (yes, that is correct, you do seem to have zero idea)

According to devs the hive servers are relatively load free as far as I/O and db access... There are plenty of servers that have their own hive databases already. There's no reason that it should cost $700 to host low-usage db servers. There are more modern cloud based solutions available today which could make cloud hive access 100% free.

Edited by TarantulaFudge

Well a question to see if this pertains to this matter! Do server owners or their admins have the right to dictate to us what you can or can't have in the way of vehicles, if they have most of them in "their" camp? My group and I are running into this situation right now! We relocated to a server after helping an admin catch a hacker in a different server who destroyed our camp and killed me! The admin is an admin for both servers and invited us to move to his main server, so we did. But only later to find out that the server owner doesn't believe that anyone other "his group should have certain vehicles"!! Well last night one of my friends stumbled across their base and took a vehicle. Well!!, this morning I log in and find our whole camps tents emptied and loot all over the ground and even some tents driven over!! I'm not looking for revenge on them this is just a game. I just want it on record what they've done to us so....if they ban us you will know what its really for! We don't hack or condone hacking!!!!!

Thanks for everything you have a great mod and I can't wait for the stand alone to come out!! peace

PERSONAL OPINION:

I understand the position of leader of a server to kick other people for the people in your group to enter at all the server goes out of his pocket and it is to use public / private then it is a correct approach in my opinion ....

Now shoot for killing someone in a group or robado the vehicle is something that should be purged and disposed of once ... But it is something that requires great caution because it has real applications of the ban is false.

It's something to consider.

There are plenty of servers that have their own hive databases already.

Is the "hive" the database of player positions, inventories, items etc? If so how does one set that up.

Is the "hive" the database of player positions, inventories, items etc? If so how does one set that up.

all you need is in the install, you need only a root server and a mysql database ;)

Edited by Shona

all you need is in the install, you need only a root server and a mysql database ;)

So is that a yes? That's what the Hive is? I just need Arma II, the expansion, the DayZ mod and Mysql and I can set this up?

So is that a yes? That's what the Hive is? I just need Arma II, the expansion, the DayZ mod and Mysql and I can set this up?

Yes thats all you need, then you have your own Hive =)

Edited by Shona

Yes thats all you need, then you have your own Hive =)

Ahh Ok. So where do I get the mysql database structure and such?

Ahh Ok. So where do I get the mysql database structure and such?

Google ;) i can't give you links because if i do i have a problem

Google ;) i can't give you links because if i do i have a problem

Haha, I understand. Thanks for your help anyways.

I seriously think that before you kick players that you take a long look at the servers we have currently.. every single one is flooded so a simple way to fix this is for the server hosters NOT accepted yet, make them sign a contract saying you can do this and that to them if this is abused and the hive is hacked into, that way I wont have to wait 40 minutes to join a 300 ping server only to get desync'd and disconnect anyway.

After spending probably 20 or so hours with this mod I am forming some pretty strong conclusions. Something significant will change in the way this game operates. Either the game is patched and the obvious holes that allow 12 year old script kiddies and the like to completely destroy a server or they relax the rules and allow admins and server owners to deal with the hackers and their own server as they please. I'm surprised at how much I personally want to ignore the rules of server hosting, so much to the point that I've now done less than an hour of research on how to set up my own private hive+server and achieved it. It's astonishingly easy and that really sucks if the authors of the game don't want this kind of thing happening, but I'm quite confident it will be more and more common until the issues get fixed. While we didn't pay for DayZ, we did pay for Arma II. So in many regards I don't feel like it's justifiable that the community is expected to pick up the financial burdern of hosting game servers while the authors of the game dictate how you're supposed to host it. There is lots of solutions though and I look forward to any of them being implemented in time. Just my two cents.

After spending probably 20 or so hours with this mod I am forming some pretty strong conclusions. Something significant will change in the way this game operates. Either the game is patched and the obvious holes that allow 12 year old script kiddies and the like to completely destroy a server or they relax the rules and allow admins and server owners to deal with the hackers and their own server as they please. I'm surprised at how much I personally want to ignore the rules of server hosting, so much to the point that I've now done less than an hour of research on how to set up my own private hive+server and achieved it. It's astonishingly easy and that really sucks if the authors of the game don't want this kind of thing happening, but I'm quite confident it will be more and more common until the issues get fixed. While we didn't pay for DayZ, we did pay for Arma II. So in many regards I don't feel like it's justifiable that the community is expected to pick up the financial burdern of hosting game servers while the authors of the game dictate how you're supposed to host it. There is lots of solutions though and I look forward to any of them being implemented in time. Just my two cents.

The mod is free, it was your choice to purchase arma2 and then install the mod separately.

Edited by Steiyn

Yes, just like how the authors understood that in making a mod for Arma II would require their player base to have Arma II.

\There is no rule stopping you from dealing with hackers.

Just ban them, there is no rule against that, so long as you know who they are.

\There is no rule stopping you from dealing with hackers.

Just ban them, there is no rule against that, so long as you know who they are.

I'm not just referring to the banning of hackers but what about the reset of the items that may have been lost? That's tough to do on a global hive. Let's also not forget the kicking of members to make room for the people who actually pay for and provide the server altogether. I really don't think that kind of server set up is sustainable. I really think something will have to change.

As the game grows, so will the hacker base. There has to be something in the set up that encourages people to want to pay for their own server. I'm not sure what it is right now.