Sign in to follow this  
Noise (DayZ)

New DayZ player inbound. Any tips/hints?

I have my stuff downloading on steam so I have an hour or so to kill. I'm brand new to Arma 2: CO/DayZ (I've only played the free Arma 2) and so I'm looking for any tips people are willing to give out.

Excuse me if a thread like this shouldn't have been made.

read some of the guides in this section before you jump into the game, they can make your life a bit easier

the game can be pretty harsh for a new player

Familiarize yourself with the controls and the movement. Most people who get frustrated or die often do not understand how it works.

http://dayzmod.com/f...elpful-threads/

Have a look through, and make sure you understand movement, which key bindings do what, aiming and firing. Check out the Gear & Inventory thread as this is tricky for a lot of new players. Have fun!

Edit: If you want a greater experience that lasts for longer, don't use any external maps or loot guides!

Edited by chrispow

You should play some of the training missions to familiarize yourself with the game.

The links are currently down, and I'd love someone to show me the ropes.

Gah! Ignore all these people telling you to prepare ahead of time.

You will have a much more intense and emotional experience if you just turn the lights down, turn the sound up and dive right in.

You will make mistakes and die but the learning process will be way more fun and intense if you do it on your own in the game.

Give it at least 3 days uncorrupted by outside guides and influences - then you can start checking maps and reading guides and playing single player to study the map/terrain, etc.

Don't spoil your first few nights as a virgin. ;)

Gah! Ignore all these people telling you to prepare ahead of time.

You will have a much more intense and emotional experience if you just turn the lights down, turn the sound up and dive right in.

You will make mistakes and die but the learning process will be way more fun and intense if you do it on your own in the game.

Give it at least 3 days uncorrupted by outside guides and influences - then you can start checking maps and reading guides and playing single player to study the map/terrain, etc.

Don't spoil your first few nights as a virgin. ;)

I've already been watching many gameplay videos and I know what to look out for. I'm not so afraid of the zombies as I am other players, especially coordinated ambushes.

Never trust anyone, like seriously you see a guy and you hear "FRIENDLY FRIENDLY" He's not, shoot him in the face and take his stuff.

Somehow I believe you. To a degree. My intentions rely on playing a character named Rick Grimes that's a disgruntled cop, and his son never stays in the house.

if at first you dont succeed, die and die again! its what we all do at some point.

Oh wait, are you going to be running 1.7.2? if so than I cannot help you. As I am running 1.7.1.5 until they release a stable version. sorry.

I'll probably be playing the more stable one.

Edit: What's your steam ID?

Edited by Noise

But I can offer oral advice.

If you have to choose between a hatchet and a lee enfield as a weapon, take the hatchet. I wouldn't listen to everyone telling you to shoot on sight. Avoidance is a better tactic, and if they follow you, then you know they are hostile. After you get a compass and maybe a map, head north. Don't stay on the coast for too long.

Everyone at NWAF is hostile. Even me while I'm there.

There are no friendlies in cherno, only snipers. (except when I meet people there, got a 5 man team from handing an unarmed comrade a weapon, good times)

If you decide to go all white knight, give people the gun first, the ammo second, as younger players will not pay attention to the fact they don't have bullets and will pull the trigger before they get ammo. Easy to tell who to kill. *click click*

Also, if you are on a server with global and side chat, don't tell people where you are, if someone wants to meet up, invite them to skype or add them on steam and tell them there.

Edited by Pilot of Pripyat

Why not?

Everyone spawns on the coast, people who are so pissed off about dying and just want to kill something tend to be in the packs of players just looking for gear, but they all go to the same places. Cherno, Elektro, and to a lesser extent Berezino are usually filled with new players playing free for all.

want to get equiped real fast? Grab a couple cans of beans and 3 or 4 cans of coke/pepsi. Head NW to the very top of the map corner. When you find the corner which you can tell because of the dark line that denotes the "inbounds" and Outof bounds" areas follow the line either south or east. You will eventually entounter a HUGE camp of tents which you can loot to your hearts content. It's like Christmas and the Easter Bunny all rolled into one.

Coastal towns like Electro and Cherno - the big 2 - are where all new spawns go and are invariably deathmatches. Also, snipers tend to stake them out for easy kills.

You can go there, of course. In fact I spawned at the docks in Electro today and made it out with my life intact, picking up basic supplies along the way. That said, I've been playing for a while and know what I'm doing.

You're just more likely to face hostile players in either of those towns.

The best bet is to get off the coast and head north, raiding barns and cowsheds along the way. Or follow the coast from the treeline to Berezino (it's quite far) doing the same. It's a big town but less populated at the moment, with 2 supermarkets, a hospital and military tents.

Don't be completely distrusting of people you meet. I'm friendly and so are others, occasionally. Either avoid them or say "friendly" in general chat. Start shooting if they don't respond.

Deer stands can be a good source of loot. They are out in the wilderness and always have 3 military zombies. You can find them because they are usually in the treeline at the top of an expanse of open ground.

Above all - don't get attached to your stuff. You will die due to aggresive zombies, nervous players, bandits, hackers, doors, short drops, vehicle accidents, broken bones, ambushes, honey traps, blood loss, starvation, dehydration, exhaustion and general ennui. Accept it, and remember - the best bit of the game is the beginning.

I just started playing today, here are some tips I discovered the hard way, do not put on the ghillie suit or camo in 1.7.2, you lose everything.

If you find a good gun, pick it up and abort the server then rejoin, that way if the server disconnects you will still have it, I found a FAL with 60 bullets then the server crashed meaning I lost it.

Don't put a big gun in your bag if you have the coyote backpack, tried putting an M249 in there and it deleted it from the game as it was too big fir the bag, its just a glitch in the game atm.

Avoid sprinting in 1.7.2, the aggro distance is increased or flawed or something, you get spotted 200m+ away.

Be careful when looting crashed helicopters, me and my friend found one, killed all the military Z's and looted it only for 7 more Z's to spawn, this happened twice, the second time killing us both.

Finally, have a good jeffin time, it is so fun man!

Single MOST important thing to know BEFORE you find loot. Figure out how to work the inventory and your backpack. It is NOT intuitive! Spend some time in the Armory or something and learn how to move stuff between the ground, your pack and your inventory quickly.

I have my stuff downloading on steam so I have an hour or so to kill. I'm brand new to Arma 2: CO/DayZ (I've only played the free Arma 2) and so I'm looking for any tips people are willing to give out.

Excuse me if a thread like this shouldn't have been made.

funny you should ask... I have this little guide with about 3.5k readers you might want to check out....

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/22434-new-player-guide-v10/