Sign in to follow this  
maxxenbraxxen

How long until You have to drink/eat ?

I will just cut to the question here:

Once you drink, how long do you have until you start losing blood from dehydration ?

And, once you eat, how long until you start losing blood from starvation ?

They both depend on quite a few variables. For thirst, things such as temperature, if your runnning or walking etc. effect how fast it goes down.

For hunger the only things I know of are if you are running, or under attack (Your character is panicking) your hunger will go down much faster.

But are there any statistics such as

From full to empty while standing still: X minutes

Full to empty while walking: X minutes

and so on?

Yes there are statistics like that but it's not documented anywhere easily searchable. Why don't you test it and get back to us? As for me, I do what my body tells me to do.

If no statistics pop up I will actually test this later, with a timer, but right now Im new to Day Z (two forum posts, three with this one, all in this thread, duh) and i dont feel like losing my first hard earned gun just yet from afking/waiting for my hungermeter to tick down

Im not certain why it matters to be honest. Unless you are planning on trying a Dead Rising style "lets see how long I can stay alive just by eating" marathon. Otherwise just try to keep atleast 2 food and drink on you and run around playing the game. Eat when it starts to flash, drink when it starts to flash.

so, im always a bit scared of this eating drinking thing, once it flashes, will i start losing blood or am i about too ?

Please go test this, im very interested in this matter, in fact last night i couldnt sleep thinking about it and making calculations i was so worried cause i only had 1 can of sardines and 1 coke didnt knew how long i could keep walking so i was all night thinking the choices i had... wonder why no one else though about it. Are you from Harvard?

I find it is largely effected by your activity. If you are just straight up hauling ass running (like looking for tents) then you almost need both every 20 minutes. if you are proning around and generally moving slower, it can be an hour or two. This is the biggest factor I've noticed, but I'm sure there are others.

This is something I was wondering about as well. I was on blinking dehydration last night for probably close to 15 minutes with no ill effects. After about 5 the blinking became erratic and I thought I was going to drop dead any second. I'm glad to hear that you'll lose blood instead of just passing out and dying. I would have also thought that prone movement would be more draining than standing or crouching seeing as how in real life I can make it about 50 feet on my belly before I'm completely wrecked.

Im not certain why it matters to be honest. Unless you are planning on trying a Dead Rising style "lets see how long I can stay alive just by eating" marathon. Otherwise just try to keep atleast 2 food and drink on you and run around playing the game. Eat when it starts to flash, drink when it starts to flash.

I might try this later, would be a fun experiment. I think it's pretty easy to stay alive just by eating and drinking if you go north and avoid contact to other players. I'll try for 24 hours gametime and then start killing again (Zeds only of course *cough*).