Sign in to follow this  
Uuni

Cant launch the game: Error creating direct3d 9 graphical engine

When I try to launch arma 2 at all it gives me the following error message: error creating direct3d 9 graphical engine

This started happening after 1.7.2

Tried googling some fixes but nothing worked for me. Searched this forum but everyone else seemed to have their error magically disappear

Apparently this has something to do with the command line you give at start.

Mine is following and it doesn't work -beta=Expansion\beta;ca;Expansion\beta\Expansion -mod=@DayZ -world=empty -nosplash -skipIntro

My friend has the following and it does work: -beta=Expansion\beta;ca;Expansion\beta\Expansion -mod=@DayZ -world=empty -nosplash -skipIntro

We both are running this via steam with arma 2 OA full version and arma 2 free

I've tried removing parts of it but it fails to work no matter what I do to it, only way it works is if I leave the line completely empty

After working on this for some days I have reached an impass and need someone smarter than me to help

Try this .bat file in order to launch the game instead, it might solve your issue. Edit the last lines to fit your launch parameter needs, id recommend you try and run it as-is first tho.

Put this in the root directory of arrowhead, and then make a shortcut of it to your desktop, then run it. Before doing so, you can right click it and hit "edit" to have a look at the commands if your a sceptical, its perfectly save.

https://rapidshare.com/files/414701113/DayZbeta.rar

If you dont understand whats in the .bat, its basically looking in your registry entries for the location of your game(s) in order to launch ArmA 2 with the beta, and then adds the launch paramters to it aswell. This wont allow you to use the steam overlay tho.

Thanks for the reply. When I try running it via your .rar it gives an error regarding shaders and path not being valid

Thanks for the reply. When I try running it via your .rar it gives an error regarding shaders and path not being valid

Could possibly due to the fact you use ArmA 2 free.

I know you said it works fine without the command line, and it only broke after the update. But im inclined to believe it might be an issue with the game install/DX9 install, or the fact you run arma 2 free. I know you said your friend did too, which makes it even more odd.

Have you tried doing a complete reinstall of ArmA? And installed DX9 from the archive again?

I tried re-installing DX and arma 2 OA. Maybe it'll fix itself if I buy arma 2 full version? Was planning on making this game more pleasing to the eye and it's for sale in steam

So I bought arma2 full and the error still remains. I see if it works after re-installing arma2 OA and re-installing dayz and the beta patch

So I bought arma2 full and the error still remains. I see if it works after re-installing arma2 OA and re-installing dayz and the beta patch

Here's what I did. I went on Six Updater, then I went to mods, clicked DayZ, and said add to all presets. Then I clicked the new preset called DayZ, and clicked the run game button.

Here's what I did. I went on Six Updater, then I went to mods, clicked DayZ, and said add to all presets. Then I clicked the new preset called DayZ, and clicked the run game button.

Yes I can make the game upen via Six Updater, the problem is I cant use any interfaces if I open the game via sixupdater. That one seemed way more complicated to fix so I decided to try and fix this one

OK this is what I found out so far, Using Six Updater.... NOT launcher> Check Txt below Green= Good, Red= Update needed or Current Starup Parameters, Startup Parameters should be fixed from Patch update. DL 1.60 arma 2 OAH patch. Six Updater> Mods Tab> Right click @Dayz> Updater Actions> Verify Repair mod, It should move over to Dynamic. @DayZ and Expansion/beta should pop up.> Right click @dayz > Updater actions again> Install or update mods, Both packets should start installing> after complete, Highlight @dayz > Run updater> arma2 should run> click expansion> click dayz> run mulityplayer... Thats what I have so far. I still can't load it directly from amra2.exe, working on finding end solution.

there is no run game button?????

I made a wrokaround by adding sixlauncher to steam. It wont record my gametime but that's about the only thing that's not functioning the way i want now

-beta=Expansion\beta;Expansion\beta\Expansion -mod=dummy;expansion

Note: I've copied .\DTS\, .\DLL\ and game-exe from [OA game folder]..\Expansion\Beta\*, this was when attempting someone else's "fix". It never worked and a mod WARNED about it breaking your game. (if you excluded .\dts\ and .\dll\). Sadly I am unable to find the reference post, I just looked for 5 minutes.

[updated @ 23-07-2012 , 13:45 GMT +1]

- Adding ;EXPANSION within the "-mod"-parameters in the DayZ .bat-launcher seemed to add CA to launch without the "-beta"-parameters and still allowed me to launch the game.

- Adding dummy to the -mod-parameters removed the 3D launch error for me.

* Confused. Either this solved it or steam was the problem for me. I'll try to keep this updated.

[updated @ 23-07-2012, 13:57]

- Tried joining several servers, managed to enter one -> application froze. Possibly unrelated.

- Not reverted to hotfix-version yet. Attempting again.

[updated @ 23-07-2012, 14:03]

- Tried again, joined. Crash/Freeze when almost done joining again.

- Applying hotfix. (listed in related links bellow)

[- || -, 14:19]

- Yeah.. I don't know any more. Hope something in this post helps someone. Take care. Will wait to play DayZ till a later release, can't play even though client launches. Cheers folks. :-)

Have read all sorts of solutions, found something claimed to work for NVidia users but as an ATI-user the above worked for me, not sure how to play DayZ using that, nor how or why it works. But I will try to get it running now knowing that this gets it to run.

Other solutions people claim worked for them and related links:

Nvidia user 1: External link @ forums.bitstudio.com

Nvidia user 2: External link @ forums.bitstudio.com

The probable solution I used, is here. @ forums.bitstudio.com

Possible relation in announcements http://dayzmod.com/f...ng-update (internal link).

Hope the "dummy" doesn't mean you can not use any mods.

Edited by BomboBombom

try this:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\ArmA2OA.exe" -mod=Arma2;EXPANSION;CA -beta=Expansion\beta;Expansion\beta\Expansion -mod=@DayZ -nosplash -world=empty

u need to make a folder in Operation arrowhead folder called "Arma2" copy there all the files in your arma2 free directory.

ahh and dont forget to start both (arma2 free and OA) before to install all of their thingys.

copy the arma2oa.exe wich is directed in the OA/expansion/beta to your main OA folder and overwrite the old (but save the old before somewhere) . thats the latest exe from your latest installed arma2 beta patch. then make a conjuction from this exe to your desktop and add the starting code from me in the headline.

whenever you install a new arma2 beta patch u need to copy it again as here before i told you.

that should help ya

Edited by Kabs

try this:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\ArmA2OA.exe" -mod=Arma2;EXPANSION;CA -beta=Expansion\beta;Expansion\beta\Expansion -mod=@DayZ -nosplash -world=empty

u need to make a folder in Operation arrowhead folder called "Arma2" copy there all the files in your arma2 free directory.

ahh and dont forget to start both (arma2 free and OA) before to install all of their thingys.

copy the arma2oa.exe wich is directed in the OA/expansion/beta to your main OA folder and overwrite the old (but save the old before somewhere) . thats the latest exe from your latest installed arma2 beta patch. then make a conjuction from this exe to your desktop and add the starting code from me in the headline.

whenever you install a new arma2 beta patch u need to copy it again as here before i told you.

that should help ya

First, thanks.

* What about RC Arma2-client?

* Doesn't "-mod=C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 2\;" work? (without quotes, derp)

* And about the copying of the beta-exe. I've read a post by a mod somewhere about it possibly breaking your game. This can be an old message for a previous version or such, but in either case he said to copy .\dll\ and .\dts\ as well. When I did this though DayZ can not start as it claims it is missing a function which is required for it to work. However! ... I shall try, for I am a brave knight!

As said by Kabs, the method of copying the beta-file. But I think that rather than copying the Arma2-folder into your OA-folder, include the full path as a mod in the "-mod=" parameters. The mod/admin or w/e that claimed copying the beta-file broke your game seems to have been wrong. Even locking the thread after posting it. Now, I am not sure. Maybe my game is broken, at least I can play it while I wasn't able to before. Cheers~ ~~

~~ A stickies on these solutions please? Including various peoples ways of solving the issue etc. Confirmed solutions only?

How I got it to work on steam.

1. Do as Kabs said above.

2. Run Arma 2, start both Armory missions once and then close it again.

3. Run your Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead game once.

4. Run your Arma 2 Combined Operations game once.

5. Rightclick the Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead game in steam and edit the launch parameters/options to "-mod=@DayZ;C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2\;CA;EXPANSION -beta=Expansion\beta;Expansion\beta\Expansion -world=empty -nosplash", without quotes and where you edit the steamapps folder location according to yours.

6. Launch by doubleclicking Arma 2 operation arrowhead and selecting combined operations.

For me this solved CA_Dubbing-error and allowed me to play.

Note: You may need to manually update your battleeye or w/e the anti-cheat is called.

Cheers cheers ~~

Edited by BomboBombom

Hi my name is Jack and i have the exact same problem with you. See when it say's Error creating direct3d9 graphical engine have you fixed that problem yet. If you have could you message me back and try and help me out please. Thanks

:)