sibexus

Fire starting sources

The idea would be to give matches a limited number of uses, however many are in a box.

Add lighters to the game with more uses than a box of matches, more rare than matches.

Add flint & steel with even more uses than a lighter, more rare than a lighter.

• Like 1

I like this. A lot. Infinte matches seems un-authentic (as Rocket might put it lol). Nice idea :)

Been playing alot lately, and only once found matches.. I mean, most houses have matches or somekind of way to make fire. Seems a bit too rare of a drop ?

Think of all the smokers, and the potheads =) We need fire!

Well a flint & steel doesn't easily light branches, you still need something that can catch a spark, and it's also very specific survival gear...

I personally came up with the following to get to the same catagories (somewhat):

- matchbox, when spawned have anywhere from 1 to X matchsticks in them

- gaslighter, when spawned have anywhere from 1 to X uses in them

- gasoline lighter, when spawned have anywhere from 1 to X uses in them, this item can be refilled from any gasoline source.

Just as you need to be in the woods to harvest logs, flint and steel can work the same. You must be in the woods so that there's leaves and duff on the ground to catch. As being very specific, that's why it should be more rare than a lighter. Spawning in a general store or wherever a tent may spawn as well.

I agree it needs tweaking. I spent around 20 hours up until today just trying to find a damn box of matches - then I found 2. I kept the second expecting the first to last 10 or 20 times etc, but it looks like it lasts forever....

Just an FYI, you can light barrels on fire without matches. Like the one at the gas station and empty building frame thing on the ease side of cherno. So if you got meat and no way to cook it, find one of those barrels somewhere.

Here is my input. Used X amount because I wouldn't know where to start suggesting the math/balance for it. Level of rarity is debatable.

Tinderbox: Instead of Flint and Steel. Call it Tinderbox instead. Which is a small container containing flint, firesteel, and tinder. (rare due to the fact they drop in use (in real life) due to matches coming about, but they do exist!)

Matchbook: Contains 20 matches in it (20 uses)

Box of Matches (Matchbox): Base on standard size box of matches, contains 32 matches (32 uses and its gone)

Storm Matches (also known as Lifeboat Matches or Flare Matches): Often included in survival kits. They have a strikable tip similar to a normal match, but much of the stick is coated or impregnated with a combustible compound and waterproofed with wax, and will burn even in a strong wind.

Generic Disposable Lighter: Comes in various colors and designs! X amount of uses. (unsure if this should be refillable or X amount of uses and its gone)

Candle Lighter: X amount of of uses before needs to be refill

Zippo Lighter: X amount of uses before needs to be (maintenance?)

Utility Lighter: X amount of uses before needs to be refill

Emergency Fire Starter Kit: Water resistant. Contains waxed tinder sticks and flint wheel ignition. X wax tender sticks. When used up need to replace the wax tender sticks.

Butane Lighter: X amount of used before needs to be refilled. Not as reliable in cold weather as Zippo Lighters, tho'

Possible Items to go with lighters:

-Lighter Fluid to refill lighters.

-Zippo Wick

-Lighter Flint

-Wax Tinder Sticks

-Premium Butane Fuel

• Like 1

How about if you have a knife or hachet you can start a fire without matches or what not but it takes say 5 minutes or 10 minutes to get it going, but only it's it's not rain. Since you can start a fire without fire starting tools it's just fucking hard as hell, if you think it's easy I beg you to try it. Also the reason for 5-10 minutes is because lets face it waiting hours like in real life would just suck to much.

Just as you need to be in the woods to harvest logs, flint and steel can work the same. You must be in the woods so that there's leaves and duff on the ground to catch. As being very specific, that's why it should be more rare than a lighter. Spawning in a general store or wherever a tent may spawn as well.

I agree. They need more fire starting options and add a collect tinder to all fire starting material (and/or allow them to use gas from a jerry can if tinder is not available). I think flint and steel should be found in military bases and a rare chance of being on a soldier zombie.