n0tyx3s

M14 Sniper Rifle and Bear Traps

All of that "effective range" shit just means when the bullet no longer performs to its best ability. Aka if a gun would kill someone in 1 hit, when it stops doing that and requires 2 hits. Every sniper rifle with the exception of the .50 cal AS50 and M107 will require 2 body hits at what most people would class as "sniper ranges", past 300 - 500m -- Unless you get a head shot.The benefit of the M14 aim / DMR / SVD / FAL / AKM as rifles is that while they need 2 body hits at those ranges, they are semi automatic and thus you can get 2x shots down range in quick time if you're unable to do 1x clean head shot.

Apparently you don't know about ArmA 2's ballistics platform. Effective range is the maximum range the bullet travels at effective, accurate distance. Things called bullet drop? Yeah, 400m is about all you'll get before bullet drop makes your shots nearly impossible.

Effective range takes everything into account, distance, bullet drop, velocity, etc. Most times, however, when someone says the effective range of a weapon, they are talking about how far you can shoot a target accurately at a constant rate, not a one in a million lucky shot.

The M14 is maxed at 400m, anymore you have to really know how the weapon works (a lot of use, a lot of practice) or get extremely lucky.

Just sayin.

Sorry. Sounds like you're saying that the bullet magically drops straight to the ground after it's travelled 400m. Isn't ArmA 2's ballistics platform based on real life ballistics?

M14 is an assault rifle. Not a sniper.

The sniper you're thinking of is the DMR.

Just to be pedantic, but not an assault rifle:

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Battle_rifle

You'd use it instead of an "assault rifle" in game though, yes.

Apparently you don't know about ArmA 2's ballistics platform. Effective range is the maximum range the bullet travels at effective, accurate distance. Things called bullet drop? Yeah, 400m is about all you'll get before bullet drop makes your shots nearly impossible.

Effective range takes everything into account, distance, bullet drop, velocity, etc. Most times, however, when someone says the effective range of a weapon, they are talking about how far you can shoot a target accurately at a constant rate, not a one in a million lucky shot.

The M14 is maxed at 400m, anymore you have to really know how the weapon works (a lot of use, a lot of practice) or get extremely lucky.

Just sayin.

I edited that in before you even posted, but yes I am well aware of bullet drop. The bullet does not perform as well -- as I said before -- That includes damage and bullet drop. You can 1 hit kill someone out beyond the "effective range" via head shots / zeroing / reticle based zeroing / guestimating how high to aim. Or 2 or 3 or 4 shot body kill someone out well past your "effective range".

Sorry. Sounds like you're saying that the bullet magically drops straight to the ground after it's travelled 400m. Isn't ArmA 2's ballistics platform based on real life ballistics?

No it doesn't just fall on the floor once it reaches 400m, it starts a slow trajectory down into the ground though. This can be countered by "zeroing" which effectively makes you aim the barrel a bit higher so that the bullet will still hit the target at x distance despite bullet drop.

Edited by itputsthelotion

The bullet does not perform as well -- as I said before -- That includes damage and bullet drop. You can 1 hit kill someone out beyond the "effective range" via head shots / zeroing / reticle based zeroing / guestimating how high to aim.

This. After bullet travels the "effective range" of 400m, the bullet's speed and trajectory make the shot less effective, hence the term "effective range."

I found a beartrap on a 1.7.2 server yesterday, so I can confirm they do exist, but didn't pick it up I'm afraid :(

I'm pretty sure I found it in one of those small industrial outhouse-style buildings you find everywhere in town but I can't be 100% on that.

Edited by Miss_Nuts

M14 is my choice gun. Plentiful ammo. Easy target aquisition at most ranges. Even at long range you can 'pepper' enemy positions. If you score a hit, they will definietly feel it. Despite it's loudness, I find it is a great anti-zed gun. Just don't use it in a city. Use it somewhere that the total number of zed won't overwhelm you.

How does the Aimpoint CompM3-sight a.k.a. AIM work? Is it zeroed at a certain distance or will the bullet start to drop immediately after you fire a target? Could somebody elaborate.

Looks like there is plenty room for another answer, so I will! :D

M14 AIM: red dot, zero-zoom optics, shorter barrel, standard stock, no bipod

DMR: crosshairs with milidots, large and adjustable zoom optics, longer barrel, adjustable stock, bipod

By anyone's standards it would be hard to call the M14 AIM a sniper rifle, the DMR could understandably be called a sniper rifle by many people however - even if the military definition is that of 'Designated Marksman Rifle'. Wikipedia has good article about both the M14 and DMR as it happens.

Bear traps have been more of a danger to myself then anyone else. I have set them in the past and not only did I observe several people run over the top of them but when I tried to move them they persisted, although not visible, and broke my legs. I've only ever seen them in barns and other players tents and I've never come across one that another player has set. They're essentially useless at this moment in my opinion.

The M14 is good for medium and CQ combat but as for sniping, its about as useful as an M4 or AK.

I'm set up in a spot 1k away from my targets, which you'll have no chance of hitting with either an M14 or CZ550.

I'd say go hunt for some high geared players, or loot some choppers for a 50.cal weapon. You can't beat the AS50 or the M107.

If you get far enough away with a 50.cal, you're most likely out of visual range, they can't hear the shot and die on impact, meaning its the perfect anti-disconnect weapon.

I hear alot of people complain about the current sniper system, honestly I think it is fine CZ550 is ok I guess I don't really like it. M24 is a pretty good sniper aswell same with DMR. SVD camo is amazing but the ammo is so rare. But the snipers I hate are the damn 50.cal's they are to easy to use with a zeroing of up to 1400m (Gotta be very lucky to see that far xD) and they take absolutely no skill at all, just a thing of aim,zero,shoot,reload and find a different spot

I have no idea why the M14 has a CCO on it in the first place. It would seem to me to be best placed as the only semi-auto battle rifle in the game. You've got the Lee Enfield as your bolt action battle rifle, then you have various semi/burst/full auto assault rifles, whats missing in between is an iron sight semi auto rifle. M14 is perfect for this, but they stuck some modern scope on a Korean War era classic for whatever reason.

I found a beartrap in a barn once, you have to but it down and then reset it. When it has been reset and its on the ground you can reset it again, its kinda like defusing it or whatever. The only thing it does right now is break legs tho.

Ergh, make sure you don't reply to the July comments and don't discuss the already discussed things.