Sign in to follow this  
Red_Sky

Bandit punishment / Survivor rewards

Alrighty, I'd like to start by saying that DayZ is one of the most immersive survival games I've ever played.

However I made the mistake of watching the most viewed youtube videos instead of the recent. Didn't matter much at first, I was too busy slaying zombies at 3000 blood with a blinking thirst bar in hope of a soda can.

But time wore on, I got better, I got geared and well I'll let you guys do the talking...here are some posts from another topic by IDnuc, from this morning.

http://dayzmod.com/f...thmatch-player/

"This really does feel like arma 2 deathmatch edition with zombie obstacles to me....

If the focus was given back to ZOMBIES and the combat became oriented towards ZOMBIES and survival against ZOMBIES instead of each other, this mod would be so much better.

People right now can PVP easily and not worry about zombies. Why? Zombies are easy to juke. They do little damage. Their pathfinding skills are poor. It doesn't take much to survive against them...." - Stickynote

"Dont you see? They were all once like you...the cycle continues" - Caz

"A guy being chased by a zombie literally stopped running to aim at my head and kill me" - IDunc

The rest is basically speaking obvious truths I knew before the game, YADAYADA ONLY TRUST PEOPLE YOU KNOW IRL GET A GROUP YOU N00B.

Personally I feel zombies are fine at the moment, given how big Chernarus is, Arma II is doing it's best to put a good number in. But they are a different issue.

Ever since DayZ starting items were nerfed, the need to survive actually kicked in, but trust also plummeted with that. Mind you I did not get a chance to play a game with the pre-nerf starting gear, I feel like I've missed a golden age or something.

Anyway, my idea.

For any of you who played runescape (that's your queue to laugh at me)

There was the skull that hovered above a players head if they had recently attacked another player, if you died whilst the skull debuff was active, you would lose all your items (well not anymore, as games are now made to hold your hand every step of the way it seems) unless you were using a pray- STOP LAUGHING.

Don't worry, i'm not suggesting that the debuff should be a giveaway for other players, it is only seen by yourself;

• If you have committed no murder in the current life of your survivor; you will keep 3 of your best items when you die (Whether you get to choose the items or automatically chosen for you, irrelevant unless this idea is explored)
  • if you have committed a murder recently; you will lose all of your items when you die.
  • if you have committed a murder, but is not recent (the time in which this mini-debuff fades also irrelevant at this point); you will keep one item.

...Thoughts?

Edited by Red_Sky

you're an awful, awful creature.

Not going to lie, this made me lol.

Trust at the beginning of a life has increased since the "nerf" of starting items; why waste your ammo on someone without a gun who will only drop a flashlight? Other than that, it is exactly the same as it was pre-"nerf". You missed out on nothing there.

Keeping your items after you die because of how you played last life shits all over the whole permadeath premise and is just....bad.

you're an awful, awful creature.

I am a bandit at heart too. but in the short time I've been playing, blasting "Hip to be square" on a microphone as I butcher an unwary sniper with an axe, take his Ghillie suit, inventory of tools, supplies and his M24...

It just doesn't feel right, not that I'd give any of his items back but..the worst that could happen to me at that point was abuse over global chat.

Yes, because in real life, if the world was faced with a zombie apocalypse, everyone will be prancing around, skipping along the hillside holding hands because humanity is so goddamn nice.

Why does everything think this game is about the zombies? Its purely there as side function to add interesting buffer to the pvp with humans trying to stay alive by looting for food and water. There should be no reward for not killing other people other than self gratification if thats what you strive for. The Player interaction being on the unknown is what makes this so good. There always gonna be people who just kill for lol but in a zombie apoc people wouldn't go round having tea parties with everyone they meet especially if they saw they had guns.

Keep it simple Keep it raw.

The only thing ruining the game at the moment is dodgy zombie running, disconnecters/server hoppers and hackers.

I've seen this type of thing in garry's mod on persistant character roleplaying servers. They had a pacifist mode where if you didn't kill anyone for like 20 minutes you'd get an icon over your head, a name color change, and a 1 sec respawn timer as opposed to the normal deathmatching penalty wait times. One of the things I liked to do was be a pacifist cop and go around beating 'certain unagreeable' people to less than 10 hp at which point they've had enough of me and kill me getting them an increased penalty for killing a pacifist.

But this isn't roleplaying. I don't think this proposal will gain any ground as rocket is going for 'realistic immersion' and likes tears generated by survivors getting gutted by others.

Just like with any desperate human being: Why share when you can take?

Yes, because in real life, if the world was faced with a zombie apocalypse, everyone will be prancing around, skipping along the hillside holding hands because humanity is so goddamn nice.

Obviously you didn't read anything. People still have the choice to kill and reap the rewards from that, just with a bigger risk.

With that being said

I've seen this type of thing in garry's mod on persistant character roleplaying servers. They had a pacifist mode where if you didn't kill anyone for like 20 minutes you'd get an icon over your head, a name color change, and a 1 sec respawn timer as opposed to the normal deathmatching penalty wait times. One of the things I liked to do was be a pacifist cop and go around beating 'certain unagreeable' people to less than 10 hp at which point they've had enough of me and kill me getting them an increased penalty for killing a pacifist.

But this isn't roleplaying. I don't think this proposal will gain any ground as rocket is going for 'realistic immersion' and likes tears generated by survivors getting gutted by others.

Just like with any desperate human being: Why share when you can take?

True, but this is a delicate situation, Although I agree with you we can't know for sure what would happen unless its tested

what would you say if I flipped this idea a bit more?perhaps having no murders when you die stays the way it is now, but being a bandit has negative effects upon death?

Again I repeat, not trying to discourage people from becoming a bandit.

Edited by Red_Sky

I would actually like to see low humanity players with red glowing eyes. I'm sure they'd like having it too with the exception of making their face a sniper target in dark places.

I usually shoot on sight but earlier today a random unarmed survivor trained a large number of zombies to us while screaming "Friendly, Help!" He had an alice pack and lots of goodies I am sure but no weapon. We chose to help him out even though it cost us a bloodbag and morphine after everything was done but it still felt nice. That being said I still plan on shooting the next survivor I see.

i think the way to spice things up would be making ammunition more scarce. perhaps even food and water, lately i just blast into cherno or elektro or any other place with several nearby lootspots and am ready to blast some things. which is lovely, the point being it doesnt take much time to be dangerous and stocked on them beans.

on a sidenote, i'd kill 300 freshly respawned just to get the gear issues and supersensitive zombies fixed. tomorrow ill look into reverting to 1.7.1.5

If I recall in rockets latest interview, he stated that he will not be punishing banditry. Though I am not sure of your ideas... You never know.

• Like 2

I usually shoot on sight but earlier today a random unarmed survivor trained a large number of zombies to us while screaming "Friendly, Help!" He had an alice pack and lots of goodies I am sure but no weapon. We chose to help him out even though it cost us a bloodbag and morphine after everything was done but it still felt nice. That being said I still plan on shooting the next survivor I see.

That's kind of what I'm aiming for, I still expect to be shot at a lot, but a small hidden feature that gives players a chance to actually decide what they're going to do to another survivor, weapon in their hand or not.

I don't want to make the game easier or harder, I'm trying to expand human interaction and evolve it from a hide and seek deathmatch that it currently is today.

I am still going to kill others for the hell of it, because that's what I do. But it saddens me that other players are having such a terrible time playing the game, peaceful players deserve to enjoy this game whilst pvp is active and hot.

Edited by Red_Sky

Two words that pretty much kill any idea with 'punish bandit' in the title:

Self-defense.

So as much as the ideas aren't as bad as they usually are (finally, something that will effect your character's respawn and not just an instant penalty!), it's still a 'no' for me.

Honestly I think an adrenaline mode where if you arn't hit by a headshot you can still aim and fire your gun for like 1.5 seconds would give a standoff pause to the shoot on sight unless its down a sniper scope or equivalent. I remember there was this one story on tv about a guy who went bungie jumping and the cable snapped. Natural adrenaline or something allowed him to swim outa of the small lake and get to someone nearby who could help him before passing out for a couple days or weeks straight due to the trauma.

But really, I doubt the mod team actually reads the forum anymore unless they're provoked.

Edited by DeadManDan

Thank you for your honest, spot on, and well thought out 'picture' worth a thousand words. I look forward to your next rainbow style earthday parade.

Please don't punish us with these types of threads anymore for the love of god

I am a bandit at heart too. but in the short time I've been playing, blasting "Hip to be square" on a microphone as I butcher an unwary sniper with an axe, take his Ghillie suit, inventory of tools, supplies and his M24...

It just doesn't feel right, not that I'd give any of his items back but..the worst that could happen to me at that point was abuse over global chat.

Hahahahahaha....thats fucking brilliant

PvP as it is ingame is fine at the moment, the problem is there's no incentive to do anything but murder. In all honesty i don't think adding penalties for banditry will ever solve anything, since these penalties would be almost impossible to reasonably offset the potential gains of murdering somebody with decent gear who's distracted and grabbing all their stuff. The issue currently is that the benefits of teaming up with that person you just met aren't enough to offset the risks of an unknown player being with you. We need something to encourage teamwork that will be sufficiently beneficial that players are willing to team up if they meet early on but that won't hamper the bandit playstyle for those too greedy/cowardly to do anything but sit on a hill with a rifle and wait for somebody else to do the work for them. As i recall rocket has mentioned that he is working on ways to encourage group play some more.

The only pvp related change i would want is an extension of the shock mechanics such that firing at another player or being fired at by another player (even if the shot missed, say a bullet passes within distance X of you) causes shock or a similar debuff so that if either player alt-f4s out like a coward before the debuff ends they get a lengthy stun the next time they log in, think 10 minutes maybe more incapacitated and preferably this could not be countered by having a friendly player show up with an epi-pen. Supplement with something similar to the system that was tried before where your body persists for a time after you disconnect, alt-f4 will no longer guarantee survival and even if you do make it out alive you still recieve a punishment for taking the coward's way out. Some people may think that is too unrealistic for a "hardcore survival simulator with occasionally threatening zombies" such as this but let's be honest, it's a damn sight more realistic than snipers who can fire then will themselves into an alternate plane of reality reposition themselves and will them selves back into our dimension for a follow up shot.

*Earnestly awaits ZDB's reply

ZDB?

Rocket specificaly stated that he was not going to punish either playstyle, the game's primary focus was, and always will be PvP.