Greasy (DayZ)

Safe Zone (No shooting/No Zombies)

It'd be nice to have a place to trade weapons/gear, could be a military controlled city/town or an island. This could also add some form of currency similar to the iconomy mod of minecraft.

I swear around 3 - 4of these get made a day, ok. It's not going to be added until this game gets big. It's still in alpha, I suggested this like 2 weeks ago, stop asking People already want it and know. It's not going to happen until at least arma 3, If you really want one, gather mates and build a base on top of a mountain.

Plz don´t!

Safe zones gonna destroy this game...

This game be a simulator of a zombie apocalypse, not just a hardcore MMO game.

I dislike the ideia of a place where you can trade and do everything without fear or distrust. If you want to do that, make some friends, loot some city and go to the woods or somewhere else.

Of course this is just my opinion.

:-/

That sucks cause it would just make 50% of the game worlds players be in that vicinity....and the other 50% camped right out side just waiting for noobs to skip out with their goodies....I like the way it is now with players coming in contact pretty rarely

I swear around 3 - 4of these get made a day' date=' ok. It's not going to be added until this game gets big. It's still in alpha, I suggested this like 2 weeks ago, stop asking People already want it and know. It's not going to happen until at least arma 3, If you really want one, gather mates and build a base on top of a mountain.

[/quote']

LOL wow chill out buddy, just trying to get my say out and its not my fault you're so hip you decided to say it 2 weeks ago. Save your rage for the zombies.

Words don't get things done, Action does.

If you really wanted this you should act upon your idea.

Gather a bunch of like minded people, Decide on a location (I'd suggest a high location at least within 1k radius) and then start building static defenses like sand barriers, wire and tents.

Once you have done this create a thread announcing the times you will be online to actively run and defend this area. I'd name it like "US6 -Trade settlement-"0700-1500 CDT"

If you keep this active long enough I'm sure the Devs will notice and simply give you better options to keep this running.

Don't just whinge and bitch about it till it's included, Try and do it now. The Dayz devs built the game with action, They didn't sit on Left 4 Dead forums asking for the ability to eat and drink.

It would be cool if later on if/when npc's get added if we had survivor and bandit bases or strongholds. Where members of the groups could safely trade. But it would definately have risks, of course the bandits would camp out a lot in front of of survivor base, but either way it would be an interesting mechanic.

I think, like the rest of the game, "safe zones" should be player created and player enforced.

Picture this...

You walk up to the wilderness up north, far away from any town. You come up on the crest of a forested plateau and come to a clearing. There are barbed wire fences lining the entire clearing, guard towers on either end. Inside the fencing is a town, with tents for shelter. Walls for protection, people sitting by the campfire cooking meat, people trading. All of this being player placed and created.

In order for you to enter, you'd have to be checked out and cleared by the guards who'd be manning the guard towers with rifles. If you get out of line, you get shot and are never admitted again.

Obviously, this hinges on player behavior being reasonable. But I'm saying, instead of shoving safe zones down people's throats, allow them to have some say into when/where/how these safe zones are created on a server-side basis.

I have to say quite bluntly that safe zones are a terrible idea. The entire goal of the game is to survive in a hostile world however you can. If you create places where people are safe, the game ceases to be about survival and becomes an adventure game instead.

Why? Because once you have a place where you are secure from all danger, the survival goal becomes redundant. You can just relax in your magic protection field past which zombies cannot tread and guns cannot fire, only to venture out when you feel like enjoying some action. The usual goal of staying alive as long as possible instead becomes a measure of how long you can wait around before getting bored.

I suppose there's still the necessity of finding food and water, assuming there is none in the zone, but it would still radically alter the balance of the game by creating a central zone to which people will flock when the feel like taking a breather. You'd rarely see people venturing very far from their safety net and much of the map would become uninhabited. Bandits would stake out the perimeter to prey on people coming and going.

And then there's the simplest probably most important reason not to do this. It's unrealistic. It curtails player freedom by forbidding them from doing something they should by all reason be able to do: kill. If any collaborative group tried to set up a safe zone of some kind right now, there is no reason why a team of bandits couldn't attack and destroy their operation, and no doubt that's exactly what would happen eventually. What are we supposed to think when an invisible hand suddenly comes down and jams all their weapons once they get into range? Everyone should be able to attack anyone at any time for any reason, because that's how it works in real life.

Of course, there's always the option of players creating their own safe zones, but there's no need change anything in the game for that purpose: just round up as many trustworthy people as you can find and hope to god you manage to make it work.

I don't understand how a safe zone would be "safe". Bandits that camp new players/players who just respawned camp in large areas because it's hard to tell where people will respawn, a safe zone gives bandits a "home base", a place to camp on purpose. They don't even need to be in the zone, just watch the borders. Safe zones would probably be even more dangerous than Cherno or the coast.

No safe zones please. Unless players can set it up and maintain it themselves then I'm 100% in support of it, but I don't see that being very manageable.

At most I would like to see some type of mechanics that allows players to take initiative and TRY to set up a trade base/route. Nothing game enforced however.

That sucks cause it would just make 50% of the game worlds players be in that vicinity....and the other 50% camped right out side just waiting for noobs to skip out with their goodies....

Sounds like Cherno :P

I swear around 3 - 4of these get made a day' date=' ok. It's not going to be added until this game gets big. It's still in alpha, I suggested this like 2 weeks ago, stop asking People already want it and know. It's not going to happen until at least arma 3, If you really want one, gather mates and build a base on top of a mountain.

[/quote']

As long as I breathe, this will never happen.

@OP:

No. 1 Star'd.

Safe zones? Someone needs to go back to left 4 dead. LOOOL. WOOW.

Yeah, I have to admit, I'm kinda liking these boards a bit too much right now with threads and suggestions like this and the 'lighting tweaks' popping up.

we need a safe zone

there are too much bandits waiting for new spawned survivors

or a safe place to trade stalker like

and for ppl who dosent like this just make a hc version without safe zones and a normal version

with safe zones

btw its funny for ppl who start playing this mod the first time

and getting spawnkilled at beach

i bet they love it

But there is a safe zone already!

You can go there by clicking "disconnect". ;)

Norway1 server is trying to do that. The safe zone's supposed to be above stary sobor

Only if the safe zones were maintained and enforced by people. Setting arbitrary safe zones that is not open to player choice seems very risky.

Let me just make it clear straight away that I don't want safezones.

However, I think it could create an interesting dynamic. Say there is a safe zone, but with food and supplies scarce. People could argue that the safe zone brings a lot of people into the one area, perhaps, and that it would:

If you create places where people are safe' date=' the game ceases to be about survival and becomes an adventure game instead.

Why? Because once you have a place where you are secure from all danger, the survival goal becomes redundant. You can just relax in your magic protection field past which zombies cannot tread and guns cannot fire, only to venture out when you feel like enjoying some action. The usual goal of staying alive as long as possible instead becomes a measure of how long you can wait around before getting bored.[/quote']

Making water and food very scarce in the area, however, would force people to leave. As said here:

I suppose there's still the necessity of finding food and water, assuming there is none in the zone, but it would still radically alter the balance of the game by creating a central zone to which people will flock when the feel like taking a breather.

However, I think the most significant thing would be the bandits.

You'd rarely see people venturing very far from their safety net and much of the map would become uninhabited. Bandits would stake out the perimeter to prey on people coming and going.

Bandits would make venturing to the safezone very risky indeed. A group of survivors trying to bring back supplies to the safezone could be ambushed by the bandits, practically destroying the whole thing, as those inside begin to starve. If bandits are seen as a problem, people will stop trying to go to the safe zone. People would risk going off on their own, and trying to make it elsewhere. When the people begin to die down, so will the bandits, and they will all begin to spread out across the map.

Yes there will always be some people in the safe zone, there will also always be some bandits outside the safezone, and there will always be people trying to get in and out of the safezone. But it would not end the game or destroy it. The bandits would act as a great balancing force, and make it incredibly risky to try and get to relative safety.

I still think imposing this is a bad idea, and I would prefer the game allowed for the players to develop safezones by themselves. A small abandoned military base, for example, which is hard to breach and easy to defend, would let a small group of people set up a 'safezone', where inside it's walls you are protected by a few guards. Of course, even with things like that, it would probably only take one person to make one shot and start a total killing spree and massacre.

Safe zones seen by survivors: "hey, I can trade some shotgun shells for some STANAG magazines!"

Safe zones seen by bandits: "hey I can camp just outside and kill anyone that leaves or enters and take STANG magazines!"

Safe zones are not a good idea, it will create a camp zone even bigger then Cherno.

The only way there will be a 'safe' zone in the game is if players band together and make one themselves out of items they find in-game on a specific server. For example, players could barricade one of the hangers at an Airfield and try and setup a trading post of sorts.

The reason why people don't? Paranoia is rife with Day Z. It only takes a crazy fool with a hand grenade, hell, it only takes a crazy fool with a makarov to ruin it.

If people want to make player made 'safe' zones, then fine but do it at your own risk. I, personally, think it would be cool if that were to happen but like i have mentioned its too easy for it to all go to shit.

I would love to see a player made trading post be ruined in-game. Would make for an awesome youtube video.