Fusty (DayZ)

To all the "Murder isnt RP;Flag it;Etc." Threads here

So, in other words, our current societal norms and rules are the only thing keeping you from killing people simply because they might have something you want, and if those rules vanished, you'd go full butcher just for shits and giggles? You have no sense of empathy for your fellow man, no "we're all in this together" feeling of camaraderie?

I'm not disagreeing with the whole "kill or be killed" concept; in a post-apocalyptic world I'd be likely to shoot first, ask questions later if I were surprised by an armed person stumbling across me, but that's really a completely different ball game from sniping everyone you see from the hills or even killing people for their loot, especially if you already have your survival essentials.

A world where only a handful of people are surviving a zombie/infected apocalypse has nothing to do with our current societal norms and rules. The two settings are completely different and have very little in common with each other. Trying to impose the human behavior of a society that has plenty into a game about surviving zombies with limited resources isn't going to work. Ever. Oh, and our current society norms are not very old.

As for the guys sniping and camping the major towns, some of them just have nothing to do and shooting other players is definitely entertaining. Anyone who says otherwise must be living under a rock and failed to witness the largest driving force in all of gaming, shooting people for fun. Once you're geared up you don't really have anything to do than look for hard to find vehicles. I imagine a good portion of these guys would stop if they had something better to do. Not all but many.

I only ever do this after I die up north and want to kill some bandits. Next day, back to the wild.

I dare say all of these under-aged, immature, internet Rambo's who talk all this big shit about how they'd go around shooting anyone because they trust no one wouldn't do shit but piss their pants in the case of a real Zombie Apocalypse. How many own or are even proficient with a weapon? How many have the knowledge or skills to survive alone? How many have killed anything, let alone another person? Let me tell you all something. In the case of a zombie apocalypse or any other more realistic catastrophic event that would require people to survive on their own skills and knowledge, you would not suddenly become any more bad ass than you are right now. You won't magically learn how to handle any weapon better than you do now, you will not suddenly gain the knowledge of an expert survivalist, nor would you transform from internet warrior to a hardened, kill without conscience trained survivalist warrior. If any of your found yourself alone in the world with nothing to keep you company except those zombies outside that want to eat your face, you'd shit your pants and wish you had a friend to help keep you safe.

The bullshit bravado and tough talk is just pathetic. Would there be cold blooded murderers out there? Yes, but these are not the individuals who are sitting here on the internet playing DayZ and talking about how they WOULD go out kill people if the world went to shit. Those that would actually do this are more than likely to be out there actually doing it right now.

You pretty much described this game.

I dare say all of these under-aged, immature, internet Rambo's who talk all this big shit about how they'd go around shooting anyone because they trust no one wouldn't do shit but piss their pants in the case of a real Zombie Apocalypse. How many own or are even proficient with a weapon? How many have the knowledge or skills to survive alone? How many have killed anything, let alone another person? Let me tell you all something. In the case of a zombie apocalypse or any other more realistic catastrophic event that would require people to survive on their own skills and knowledge, you would not suddenly become any more bad ass than you are right now. You won't magically learn how to handle any weapon better than you do now, you will not suddenly gain the knowledge of an expert survivalist, nor would you transform from internet warrior to a hardened, kill without conscience trained survivalist warrior. If any of your found yourself alone in the world with nothing to keep you company except those zombies outside that want to eat your face, you'd shit your pants and wish you had a friend to help keep you safe.

The bullshit bravado and tough talk is just pathetic. Would there be cold blooded murderers out there? Yes, but these are not the individuals who are sitting here on the internet playing DayZ and talking about how they WOULD go out kill people if the world went to shit. Those that would actually do this are more than likely to be out there actually doing it right now.

Don't think I could say it any better. It's all about the e-peen, really.

Edited by Whattteva

I was about to type out an essay about how fucking stupid OP is for thinking that he would kill anyone in real life without having any remorse (unless he's a fucking psycho, in which case he would kill regardless of any circumstance), but luckily Phienyx saved me the trouble.

I have a CHL and I carry routinely. If I saw a threat in today's against myself or my posessions, I would not hesitate. I know this is the internet and everyone loves to insult eachother and claim that the guy you are argueing with is either a child, an obese whale, or a nerd too scared to do anything IRL; The vast majority of the time these stereotypes are not true, and that is the same with me. Lets try and keep this thread mature.

I am not anti teaming up, and I have said so in the OP, but if I dont know you and your armed, you would/are as good as dead in an apocalypse. An unarmed man or woman would be a different scenario, I would only resort to using arms against them if I was desperate for supplies such as food or water, and even then, it is more like to be a robbery than a murder, if the situation allows.

I did not imply that anyone is a meek little wimp/whale/child or any gaming stereotype, such is foolish. I was not trying to insult you in the least.

You have a gun. Grats. Are you a killer? Do you know how it feels to take a mans' life (I hope you don't)? Do you understand the training (if you want to call it that, it's typically just justifying the act by saying it's for the greater good in some way) the armed forces in ANY country go through to cope with the emotional distress of murder?

In an actual survival situation (again, this isn't a survival sim exactly), I know that people would not want to be alone. ESPECIALLY when you have to go to sleep. And THAT drive would win out over selfishness (well, the murder aspect). If you're out in the woods for a few months, weeks, even days, with infected humans growling around you, the moment you see another human, I really don't think you would kill them as a first instinct.

But this game doesn't represent loneliness very well, you can survive fine by yourself. It doesn't represent the fear you would feel going to sleep by yourself the first night.

• Like 1

I did not imply that anyone is a meek little wimp/whale/child or any gaming stereotype, such is foolish. I was not trying to insult you in the least.

You have a gun. Grats. Are you a killer? Do you know how it feels to take a mans' life (I hope you don't)? Do you understand the training (if you want to call it that, it's typically just justifying the act by saying it's for the greater good in some way) the armed forces in ANY country go through to cope with the emotional distress of murder?

In an actual survival situation (again, this isn't a survival sim exactly), I know that people would not want to be alone. ESPECIALLY when you have to go to sleep. And THAT drive would win out over selfishness (well, the murder aspect). If you're out in the woods for a few months, weeks, even days, with infected humans growling around you, the moment you see another human, I really don't think you would kill them as a first instinct.

But this game doesn't represent loneliness very well, you can survive fine by yourself. It doesn't represent the fear you would feel going to sleep by yourself the first night.

It doesn't represent a whole host of things, and that's why we need different backgrounds. The fact that everyone can do everything is straight up stupid. Of course you can give a blood transfusion, quickly and efficiently reload a weapon you just picked up in a combat scenario, efficiently gut and cook an animal, and rebuild a helicopter engine.

*shakes head*

It doesn't represent a whole host of things, and that's why we need different backgrounds. The fact that everyone can do everything is straight up stupid. Of course you can give a blood transfusion, quickly and efficiently reload a weapon you just picked up in a combat scenario, efficiently gut and cook an animal, and rebuild a helicopter engine.

*shakes head*

Are you saying we need rpg style classes in DayZ? You sly dog.

I like RPG shooters though. So I agree.

We require a system for differentiating friendlies from non-friendlies. Such as coloured armbands or logo/insignia.

It's funny you bring up classes in DayZ; check the thread in my sig for my input. I've since changed my ideas a bit but can't be effed changing the post haha.

I think we need to avoid the word "classes" because it sets off people's WoW alarms. There are so many good mechanics out there, that we should at least trial out, as it's an alpha and if it kills the core gameplay just fuck it off. However so many people jump to conclusions and say "oh but that would make it like X title/it would turn it into a watered down generic game". A lot of games have guns, DayZ having guns doesn't make it generic.

I truly think an "occupation" system that A) gives your character a background and B) provides slight advantages in certain areas (while not restricting areas of the mod) would add an incentive for teamplay.

I love PvP in this game, I just lost an AS50 and NVG's to PvP and it really doesn't make me hate PvP. I just think the dynamic is solely PvP and there is NO reason to team up with strangers. Which is fun for while, but the me/us against the world gets a bit old. With the added dynamic of teamplay and the increased likelihood of it I could see the replayability going through the roof.

That actually sounds like a really good idea. Definitely would be more realistic. Like I've said in other threads, in reality, you won't just kill everyone cause you NEED other people to *gasp* replenish the shit you use. Yes, that includes food, weapons, vehicles, fuel, ammo. Things won't just "spawn" and you don't magically know how to repair shit with no training. If anything, this game is like The Matrix movie. "Wanna fly a chopper? it's coo, I know how to fix it AND fly it, just give me a second here to learn it."

Edited by Whattteva

The threads are incessant; perhaps they will read this "obvious" thread before they do post.

Oh, its alpha! Woah, I havent read that in 347 other places!

Oh, it's another thread like this! Woah, haven't read this in 347 other places!

I love all these 'in an apocalyptic world , I would kill on sight' threads........

I blame hollywood....

got tired of killing zombies with my hatchet, shot off a couple of rounds with my m249 out in the middle of nowhere 1 min later after looting a deer stand i hear 3 shots from a m107... that is pretty much my dayz experience at the moment... and the server only had 10 players, which makes it even more sad... lol

Less people, better chance for looting without getting your head shot. ;)

Less people is only good if you're only looting the coastlines. It's actually a lot more dangerous if you plan to loot NW airfield cause others will probably think exactly what you just said (less people, better chance).

I've died plenty of times on low pop servers in NW airfield.

Except it's not realistic because you don't have conscience in game or any feelings for other people. You don't feel it's wrong to kill someone in game as you'd think it in RL do you? If there is no difference to kill pixels and people for you, you should get help.

There needs to be a conscience meter or something similar, that wouldn't brand but give some concequences if low.

Less people is only good if you're only looting the coastlines. It's actually a lot more dangerous if you plan to loot NW airfield cause others will probably think exactly what you just said. I've died plenty of times on low pop servers in NW airfield.

I never went to the nw Airfield much, maybe like 3 times throughout my playthrough. It's too open and i never found any good loot while I'm there. If you watch enough youtube videos, you will know the airfields is a favourite spot for snipers. You probably should avoid the place altogether. I mostly loot on barns, deer stands and in desperate situations, the cities(where i move extremely slow around corners of each building and carefully look around) So far i have not been killed by other players but my luck may change any time, who knows.

Edited by leeo38

Tough kill on sight Day Z survivalist who would kill you IRL for beans and coke :rolleyes:

In a zombie apocalyptic world. You wouldn't shoot on sight. You would avoid them at all costs. And if they came up to you, odds would be that you wouldn't be killing each other right away. Since that draws attention of zombies. And then you're both fucked.

Anyone saying otherwise, have no clue about zombies, or human behaviour.

Sure our survival instincts will kick in, but we'll not start shooting everything, since that will cause zombies to creep near.