Walkie Talkies.

139 members have voted

1. 1. Walkie talkie range?

• 0-500m
    • 0-1km
    • 0-5km
    • 0-10km
    • Other

I think this is a great idea that would add this idea of that there is hope out there. Imagine that you've been alone for days and you finally find a radio that has different frequencies and can be used to communicate with other survivors. This would add more imersion into DayZ and be a great addition to the mod. Fixed Radios are also a good idea but I wouldn't mind it that you could take them but they would take the place of the backpack.

Radios to take the place of the backpack? Or take a place in the backpack?

I wouldn't worry about this. Sure you can communicate with other players but you'll be talking to everyone in the TeamSpeak channel plus It's hard to identifiy players when talking through TeamSpeak. I rarely use TeamSpeak when I play DayZ because of the confusion and risk that it has. The radios could be a more safer way of communicating to other players that have the skill to get one.

Indeed' date=' Teamspeak would resemble a global chat, and you still wont have the option to talk to people around you rather then talk to everyone. And unless you're in a private channel with someone it's just going to be general chat and you cant give out locations.

Also this would require the entire server to be on teamspeak and have a mic etc.

The radios should be battery operated and you have the ability to turn them off for a period of time to conserve power untill you find more batteries to use. Also different frequencies should be used. One example of the frequencies I can think of is the Metal Gear Solic codec frequencies format.

Never played MSG, so not sure how that works, some frequences would be sweet anyways, either basic or advanced.

Was also wondering about the power source, maybe if batteries were to be implemented at some point. You'd also need them for flashlights.

[/quote']

Perfect solution.

I was also disappointed with the inability to talk globally, especially since I'm still fairly noob and needed some help with something... but nobody could help!

~Sol

This is a great idea, I mean to be honest I think if they incorporated the ACRE mod for dayz and created their own radios that would be AMAZING. However Im not sure of the likeliness of that happening so this Is a good idea

i think it will be added coz, if you go to dayz wiki and click on equipment.. you can look for radio item, which isnt added yet

Like the idea of walkie talkies, its a realistic option and I think in a real world situation you would seek out ways to keep in contact with your comrades. My suggestions would be:

There must be a power source most likely a couple of batteries.

Maybe a few different types, with some being more powerful or clearer than others.

Interference when players try communicating through object heavy areas.

An option to put an in ear piece on, meaning the radio is clearer and less noise to attract attention from Z's and players alike

But yeah awesome idea!

Yes I like this idea very much.

No private channels, that's BS. You tune into a frequency, start talking and everyone on the same frequency can hear you. If you want to have private communication you must devise your own codes.

I would add radios too for longer range communication, but they would require an antenna. People would no doubt start radio stations too which would be cool. Your walkie-talkie could receive the radio broadcasts but wouldn't have the power to respond.

Walkie talkies are a great idea. Would be good if the reception or quality of the conversation was also impacted by distance (as in real life). The more realism Rocket can add to this game the better.

Probably it was brought up already, but many DayZ admins host dedicated TS server as well.

But I'd love to use walkie talkie just to push a button and try to listen for an in-game sounds of people hiding close by :D

Radio's ( Walkie Talkies ) Are already implemented, they are a rare drop from Military Zombies but as of now they do not hold any use, this is probably something that is being worked on and will be available soon

I think this is a good idea but there should be 2 variance of the walkies talkies

1st one is the Cheapo Mart kind and only reaches out to 2-5 miles and would be found in the Dairy Marts,Town Halls and dead walkers and have a spawn rate of 31%

2nd one is the high end kind and reaches out to 10-15 miles but would be found in Fire stations,Deer Stands and Medical Tents and have a spawn rate of 8%

Walkie talkies are a great idea. Would be good if the reception or quality of the conversation was also impacted by distance (as in real life). The more realism Rocket can add to this game the better.

Could lose some quality over distance, or have better quality the closer you get to a radio tower, or on higher ground in general etc.

Probably it was brought up already, but many DayZ admins host dedicated TS server as well.

But I'd love to use walkie talkie just to push a button and try to listen for an in-game sounds of people hiding close by :D

Sure, but TS doesnt have the same value as in game chat, and im sure its due to the name, but it doesnt have to be voice only.

It seems like a good item or feature to implement. Set it on scanner mode to monitor all channels, then give the option of which channel to talk on if you pick up some chatter. Range of a few km's unless amplified by a radio tower.

For limitations, make it broadcast through the direct chat whenever you send/recieve transmissions. No need for batteries, since the flashlight and nvg's don't need them.

implementing the ACRE mod would be the correct way to do this. alternately, half decent hand held CB radios are rated for 10km (well mine is) but realistically without LOS you're looking at more like 5. i think even a basic radio system with 40 channels would be fine. you would have no way of knowing who was listening... =]

As for the poll; I answered "other". My reason is below.

- Have a walkie talkie as a basic item?

No, they should be a part of the loot. Based on the type of radio it can be common (walkie-talkie), moderate (radio) ot rare (militairy radio).

- Walkie talkies need a power source

Yes, just to make them harder to use and to make sure survivors go into town to find them (eg. supermarkets have a high change of spawning them)

- Walkie talkies should have multiple/private channels

Multiple channels yes, private channels no. However, the better the radio, the more channels so it's semi-private.

- Radio towers should play an important role

No, I don't really see how radio towers can help. However, radio beacons at good loot might be nice. Just let it send a signal over all channels (small beep or static) which gets louder when closing in.

- Walkie talkies should have some downside to using it / sounds/ give away your position with some gps tracking or w/e

If radio's are forced (instead of in-game VOIP) it's already hard enough to find people at the multiple channels. Not to mention to scan channels when entering a town to find other survivors and their locations.

Also, by having batteries you need to make sure when and how to use the radio. Especially if a battery only can run a radio for a couple of hours.

And by having better radios needing more power (makes sense), it drains power much faster.

As for the specs for the different radios:

- walkie-talkie:

max range: 100-250m

channels: 4

power: 8 hours per battery

- civilian radio:

max range: 1000m

channels: 12

power: 4 hours per battery

#justmy2cents

- militairy radio:

max range: 5000m

channels: 32

power: 2 hours per battery

• Like 1

WOW... just found this article about ArmA3 & DayZ and it has some nice spoilers about radios!

The DayZ conversation starts somewhat halfway: http://www.pcgamer.c...-z-into-arma-3/

yeah it was posted earlier in this thread,.. walkie talkies, baby monitors.. mobile phones, doesnt matter to me.

Aslong as it has a few basic properties and meets a few requirements its all good.

Guys, about the walkie-talkie;

Well its to be expected, its obvious that without the global/side chat there is something lacking ,you really cant communicate with other survivors anymore.

So there has to be something that replaces it, and the main issue being the immersion, it has to be realistic, global chat obviously wasnt.

Walkie talkies are realistic ofcourse, are they realistic in the current setting though? I'm not sure.

i assume military locations would have them, perhaps the crashed humvees, military zombies in general.

But perhaps its better to go for something more civilian as the baby monitors.