Frozen (DayZ)

Guns? Why need guns?

The suggestion below probably will be impossible to achieve correctly before game become standalone or ARMA 3 mod.

Rocket said that DayZ was inspired by Dead Island and something alse that i cant remember :)

Why not make it more melee based?

1. fix melee weapons(that crap that in game right now its not a melee)

2. add more weapons: knife, wooden plank, steel pipe, pitchfork, spade etc,

3. add stun and knockdown effects to melle, especially to blunt one

4. greatly reduce amount of firearms and ammo, especially military grade(AK and M4/16 in fire station, seriously?)

of course ppl. that tied to firearme(tss dont say c&k words) will whine about such changes, so suggestion #4 probably should be turned in to mode of the mod/game(who knows when it happens?) with separate database.

No bad idea, Melee as it is broken as hell due to different connections. One second standing up, next second a guy that WASN"T THERE is standing over you with an axe. This would happen even more often.

Edited by Sterlok

I would love to see more varied melee weapons. Though personally I'd like a stick with leaves on it that you can grab off any bush to annoy other 'friendly' players with.

I'm also a fan of the purple dildo club from saints row 3 but I doubt there's any chance of that getting added.

I admit, make guns rarer and melee weapons more common would make this game more balanced and possible more fun. But there is no way Arma's engine could support that.

Well see melee weapons aren't supposed to be in ARMA anyway. I don't know that the engine really supports it..

I admit, make guns rarer and melee weapons more common would make this game more balanced and possible more fun.

Guns rarer and melee weaposn more common? what? i find piles apone piles of melee weapons everyday that i just leave there, i've honest seen a small village with 6 hatchets in it, i don't think your lookin in the right areas.

Edited by Shy Guy Sterlok

I do like your idea alot, especially #4 but in #1 you say to fix melee weapons, the arma II engine doesn't (as far as i know) have an actually melee weapon code, the melee weapons the dev team added are nothing more than short range firearms, so it would be rather difficult for the dev team to 'fix' melee

But +1 to see less military grade loot in firestations and new variations in melee weapons.

I don't mind the melee system currently. People seem to forget this is alpha.

More melee weapons would be nice though.

• Like 1

Guns rarer and melee weaposn more common? what? i find piles apone piles of melee weapons everyday that i just leave there, i've honest seen a small village with 6 hatchets in it, i don't think your lookin in the right areas.

You're not seeing what I'm saying. When you see a guy with a gun you're thinking " no surprise here"

If guns were rarer then you would be thinking "OH SHIT, HE HAS A GUN" and it's just a makerov.

Engine won't work with this, as previous said.

I don't like it neither.

Edited by EnermaX

Engine won't work with this, as previous said.

I don't like it neither.

You're not giving this enough thought. Think about it, being shot on sight would be a very rarer occurrence. Players would be for forced to confront each other which can allow them to communicate and possible team up more. Gun spawns just need to be a little more realistic. Military weapons : high chance to find in military camps/ air feilds. Shotguns and scoped rifles: medium to low chance of finding them at barns. Makerovs and colts: low chance of finding them in houses.

Players would be for forced to confront each other which can allow them to communicate and possible team up more

Sure lemme just get the axe out of my back, and we'll talk.

• Like 1

You're not giving this enough thought. Think about it, being shot on sight would be a very rarer occurrence. Players would be for forced to confront each other which can allow them to communicate and possible team up more. Gun spawns just need to be a little more realistic. Military weapons : high chance to find in military camps/ air feilds. Shotguns and scoped rifles: medium to low chance of finding them at barns. Makerovs and colts: low chance of finding them in houses.

I agree with lower spawn changes on weapons, but to me it seems like you want the game to become melee based. This won't fit.

I agree with lower spawn changes on weapons, but to me it seems like you want the game to become melee based. This won't fit.

you can find weapons easy depending on where you look, but getting to them would be difficult due to bandits. Plus think about all the unique situations you might have that you normally wouldn't have. Gun or not, "I HAVE THE GUN SO IM IN CHARGE" "OH SHIT, HE GOT A GUN! RUN" Edited by khknight

Doubt it would be that rare...If I had just one bullet left...I'd still plop it in a players head lol.

My view is there a lot of people wanting realism etc...If it was a zombie apocolypse, I wouldn't be running around the streets with a Bat of some sort...I'd be stealthy, and get kills from a distance. Think melee should be taken out in my opinion.

you can find weapons easy depending on where you look, but getting to them would be difficult due to bandits. Plus think about all the unique situations you might have that you normally wouldn't have. Gun or not, "I HAVE THE GUN SO IM IN CHARGE" "OH SHIT, HE GOT A GUN! RUN"

Ok, this "Gun or not?!" thing seems fun. But more melee? Nah. Thanks to some immature kiddies the game would turn into hack'n'slay...

Ok, this "Gun or not?!" thing seems fun. But more melee? Nah. Thanks to some immature kiddies the game would turn into hack'n'slay...

well we could just take the current hatchet spawns and mix it up with different melee variations. Sledge hammer, shovel, rake, etc. it just an idea I would like to see rocket experiment with. This alpha is nothing but a big experiment after all

Doubt it would be that rare...If I had just one bullet left...I'd still plop it in a players head lol.

My view is there a lot of people wanting realism etc...If it was a zombie apocolypse, I wouldn't be running around the streets with a Bat of some sort...I'd be stealthy, and get kills from a distance. Think melee should be taken out in my opinion.

killing from a distance with a loud gun that WILL(not with current state of the mod ofc) attract zombies, good luck pal...

the engine can hold melee weapon, but not the mod(at least without some workaround). the only thing that screws with melee is accuracy drop after/in movement. remove it and we got a proper melee weapons.

also try to imagine a world without any basic tools(pipes, wrenches, spades etc.) but with shitloads of guns? seems retarded? well that how it is without melee.

also why people thae like to fire guns and attract shitloads of zombies care? if this thread will be seen by the DayZ team, i hope thew will make # as a mode with separate database, and gather statistic about wich mode more popular.

I get what @khknight is trying to say about the guns, having one should be a real sign that someone has explored & been through hell to get it. Ever played 'ALIVE' (the download-only earthquake-aftermath survial game).

It was far more'arcade' style than DayZ but when you saw an enemy with a gun you were really put on edge - likewise you could threaten others with your own gun even though you had no ammo in the clip, they'd be scared enough of the gun to leave you be.

Your basically making this game into dead island. In dead island the zombies didnt run and they don't horde you as much compared to DayZ. Rocket was inspired by Dead Island AND Left 4 Dead... and left4dead uses guns only. So I believe he's trying to incorporate both games + his own preferance.

I dont think removing weapons + ammo to the extent your saying would make the game better. -1 to this

Edited by evolution

This... Its the wrong game for that. A little bit more tweaking so melee doesnt feel so clunky and I am fine with it. Weaponspawns should be a little bit lower but for me its more about ammo. Let them have weapons but let every single bullet count. If you only have 1 clip for your sniper... why would you go and hunt fresh spawned players with it? But I guess that wont change anything as long as people can serverhop and farm spawns...

edit: Why are people allways trying to make this mod into another game?

Edited by Jokkl

Fix the melee mechanics, then we'll talk.

As of now, the engine isn't really even supposed to work with them.

This... Its the wrong game for that. A little bit more tweaking so melee doesnt feel so clunky and I am fine with it. Weaponspawns should be a little bit lower but for me its more about ammo. Let them have weapons but let every single bullet count. If you only have 1 clip for your sniper... why would you go and hunt fresh spawned players with it? But I guess that wont change anything as long as people can serverhop and farm spawns...

edit: Why are people allways trying to make this mod into another game?

I'm just saying its worth experimenting with in the long run if rocket ever gets the arma engine to work with melee weapons. Plus it adds more realism and desperation into the game causing players to take more risks then before(ex: pointing a gun w. no ammo at survivors)

That is after all, what rocket wants. It could happen you guys, it just depends on what rocket wants.

one of the main problems with increasing melee damage in dayz right now, is that melee doesn't even exist in arma. from what I can tell, swinging the fireaxe is akin to shooting a really really really short range bullet. or maybe it's a throw.

So... take an engine (arma 2) which is renowned as a military simulator and has some of the best balistics avaliable in a game... throw out the guns... then implement shitty melee weapons via a bodged hack as the engine doesn't support it.

Fucking idiot.