Sign in to follow this  
Slyguy65

Having to eat every hour....eh..what?.

So the night and day system is real time but my fat ass of a character needs to eat 3-5 times in an average play session (1-3) hours.

Ive been flamed for bringing up the word realistic and flamed for not bringing up realistic...so ya im torn here the game tells time...in real time but the need to eat 4-5 times in a session is a tad crazy since post apocalyptic settings tend not to be about eating every hour (or even every day)

Am i the only one who notices this and find it a bit much? I mean one could argue "well your constantly running" i would have agreed had i not stayed and camped an area walking around it for 2 days ( i barely walked around and was only playing for 30 minutes at a time) each time i had to eat or was at least almost having to eat so ya every 30 minutes...your guy gets hungry even if not doing much of anything...da fuq?

One could also argue well it is only a can of beans and a soda...um ya well trust me i have been in situations where eating was a down right only do it when needed type of activity...and there was not much to eat.

Guess what a can of beans and a bottle of water filled you up for the whole day. Eh ill be generous half a day to be fair.

Anyway so ya opinions?

• Like 1

This kinda bugs me too but it's so seldom you live a whole day that normally people wouldn't have to eat or drink EVER when playing. Since they almost always die before they really got hungry / thirsty.

I was bugged by this in the beginning, too. Always ranting and raving about how it was weird that I can go so long without eating, but my character sits there and pretty much starves after a few hours.

Eventually got over it, chalked it up to balance issues, and zat is eet.

I feel as if my character gets hungry and thirsty more quickly than before, but that might just be my perception. It's annoying to have to eat after like 20 minutes, especially when you can't find food / lost it all with a tent bug lol.

I don't mind it too much, but I do see your point, and I too would like to see an increase (slight) in the time before you have to eat. It makes sense to have to drink every 20-30 minutes though.

would agree that it's a bit to frequent to be realistic or authentic or whatever. however it does add a bit more tension by creating situations that approach desperation if you start to starve, and forces you to get yourself into potentially deadly situations trying to find provisions. if it were closer to reality, you'd not have this anywhere as frequently or ever. personally i like it, but you have a valid point.

It creates another roadblock. You have to either hunt or risk going into town eery now and then to hunt. If it was like real life I could kill one cow and live for 8 in game days before I have to risk my character again.

The short time period of needing food allows people who can only play maybe a half hour a day to be affected by it. Also the average life is 38 mins. If you had to eat food once every 6 hours the average player would never have to.

Finally it's a game/mod. You can only also make a argument for why we don't piss, shit, sleep, wash, shave, etc, etc, etc.

The goal of the mod is not to recreate reality.

It is to create a compelling experience.

If one can of beans and a sip of water fed me for an entire day, I would never need to gather resources and hence would never need to place myself in danger.

By artificially accelerating hunger and thirst, rocket compels us to approach settlements and acquire new supplies, thereby encouraging encounters with zeds and other players, thereby creating an interesting experience with interesting choices.

Don't worry so much about what's "real" worry about what creates interesting situations.

And the other person say this is a realistic zombie simulator.

I don't know what to believe.

Oh ya they do get hungrier and thirstier. I don't think it just a "feeling"

But ya to be honest i think it would be nice if they made it more balanced by making hunger and thirst deteriorate at appropriately (activity wears it down faster and what not) but having to eat and drink in general would be prolonged so you only need to do it once or twice a day four times a day if you just constantly run. And also make food and drink more scarce i mean come on...post apocalyptic setting it goes against the theme for there to be so much food and drink around. Also food spawning in appropriate places (food in barns da fuq) Also PVP would actually be relevant since last time i checked killing in post apocalyptic settings usually was only done to get food...not ammo and guns...or for the fuck of it.

It would help delude myself into thinking i was killed for a reason...ya know?

welcome to dayz where every is a hypocrite and realism and alpha statement are only made when they are most convenient...actually that happens out side of the game....

rephrase

Welcome to reality

How many bitching threads are you going to make today' date=' OP?

[/quote']

Idk how many douche bag comments can you make in my threads today person who i don't know?

A friend was discussing this same issue the other day. It is somewhat weird since the day/night cycle is in real time, but having food and drink be realistic would be somewhat ridiculous. With the timers as they are now, eating and drinking are a game mechanic which enhances the feeling of survival as it causes us to horde food instead of ammo, risk death in dangerous locales because we need sustenance, and fight tooth and nail against each other over a can of beans.

I think the timers are okay as they are, we are all just being thrown off by the realistic day/night cycle.

A friend was discussing this same issue the other day. It is somewhat weird since the day/night cycle is in real time' date=' but having food and drink be realistic would be somewhat ridiculous. With the timers as they are now, eating and drinking are a game mechanic which enhances the feeling of survival as it causes us to horde food instead of ammo, risk death in dangerous locales because we need sustenance, and fight tooth and nail against each other over a can of beans.

I think the timers are okay as they are, we are all just being thrown off by the realistic day/night cycle.

[/quote']

Ya TBH i would actually prefer a 6 hour day night cycle that would be perfect because i do like how the food works as it is now maybe even get hungrier a tad faster if the day night cycle is what is changed, i say make it faster because people like to just dart straight to NWA and they can usually get there without any food or water. It would be nice if people NEEDED to eat and drink at least one thing to get there.

this is what you should believe the game is supposed to be until the dev says otherwise:

day z was designed to be impossibly cruel, not as a game, as an experiment, an anti game:

http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=588&pid=4431#pid4431

http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=7740&pid=72431#pid72431

humanity system, not a game, emotions:

http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=588&pid=4468#pid4468

http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=6408&pid=60854#pid60854

this is not a game, it is art designed to generate real human emotions, frustration included:

http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=125&pid=6296#pid6296

his intention is not a simulation, or training us to survive zombie apocalypse, it's to force us to make decisions and generate emotions:

http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=125&pid=6280#pid6280

not realistic, authentic:

http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=672&pid=7367#pid7367

http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=11283&pid=109345#pid109345

Did everyone in this thread miss the part where you're running consecutive marathons while playing this game? If anything you eat and drink too little.

Did YOU miss the part where i stated how i did nothing but stand around for 30 minutes and still went hungry and thirsty...sigh im fine with people not reading my shit but damn if you gana post ignorantly...just don't do it.

• Like 1

Realistic does NOT mean real life

Do you think in real life you can put a fucking helicopter rotor in your backpack? It is still a game...get over it.

not realistic' date=' authentic:

http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=672&pid=7367#pid7367

http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=11283&pid=109345#pid109345

[/quote']

Can someone explain the difference between realistic and authentic...there doesn't seem like much of a difference.

Realistic does NOT mean real life you dipshit.

Do you think in real life you can put a fucking helicopter rotor in your backpack? It is still a game...get over it.

i wish that "its still a game" comment could be used to effectively deal with half the hardocorists ive argued with too bad every time i said it they were like "NO IT IS AN ANTI GAME"

So in response to your dick comment....

NO IT IS AN ANTI GAME OMG READ WHAT ROCKET POSTED EVERY QUOTE TAKEN OUT OF CONTEXT IS LAW!

It's annoying to have to eat after like 20 minutes' date=' especially when you can't find food / lost it all with a tent bug lol.

[/quote']

Its more annoying to spawn out in debug forest and have all your food turn into AKM clips and your 50km out and your character runs about 17km a hour

poor guy never stood a chance

D'awww, OP has resorted to using caps lock...poor fella :(

i was going to post a response, but really i think the best explanation is given by rocket in those links as to the meaning of authentic vs realism in this context. my interpretation would either be parroting what he said, or muddying it up and thus damaging.

Can someone explain the difference between realistic and authentic...there doesn't seem like much of a difference.

I'll try.

Authentic: You have to eat and drink.

Realistic: You also have to shit and piss.

Authentic: You move at believable human speeds.

Realistic: After a 15km run with 225 lbs. of gear on your back' date=' you would pass out and die of cardiac failure.

[b']Authentic: Guns exhibit realistic ballistics behavior, effective ranges, recoil and noise levels.

Realistic: Guns constantly jam because they fill with dirt, water & sand, are old & rusted and generally fall apart. Occasionally they explode and blow your ugly face off.

Authentic: You can sustain injuries, some of which are life threatening.

Realistic: In a world without medical care, antibiotics, and soap w/ clean water, 25%+ of wounds would become infected resulting in fever, sepsis and eventual death in bed while you hallucinate fevered dreams.

Authentic: Vehicles require repair before they are operational.

Realistic: You seriously think you could fix a broken down vehicle on the side of the road with spare parts you find in a nearby lumber mill?

It is the difference between something that resembles reality, and something that attempts to accurately recreate it. It's a subtle difference, but hopefully my examples have helped illustrate that there is, in fact, a difference.

we dont shit in the game. should rocket add the option to shit/piss in the name of BS "realism"? no fucking way. the same goes for the thread question about eating/drinking too much. Get over it, its a fucking game. Pretend you have the virus incubated in you and that makes you feel hungry more often. solved your bs-realism-problem. go play now

A friend was discussing this same issue the other day. It is somewhat weird since the day/night cycle is in real time' date=' but having food and drink be realistic would be somewhat ridiculous. With the timers as they are now, eating and drinking are a game mechanic which enhances the feeling of survival as it causes us to horde food instead of ammo, risk death in dangerous locales because we need sustenance, and fight tooth and nail against each other over a can of beans.

[/quote']

Ya TBH i would actually prefer a 6 hour day night cycle that would be perfect because i do like how the food works as it is now maybe even get hungrier a tad faster if the day night cycle is what is changed, i say make it faster because people like to just dart straight to NWA and they can usually get there without any food or water. It would be nice if people NEEDED to eat and drink at least one thing to get there.

I would not be against this. If the day/night cycle was shortened, like many MMOs operate, I believe more people would tough out the night on their server, instead of everyone in the world ditching servers at the first sign of the dark.