Denuth

1.7.2 Opinion thread. All your opinions, good and bad, go here.

i'm beginning to feel like people simply miss a Zed behaviour system that they are used to, not one one that actually made the game better. I've got news for them, this game is going to change a lot over the months.

I think people need to understand that expecting to get through any major town without aggro was unrealistic in the first place, we're survivors, not ninjas. The point is now that aggro is more likely but the fact that Zeds dont zero your position as soon as you fire a weapon and that you can avoid Zeds by losing LOS much more easily means that this can be managed.

The update has changed the zombie element of the game from "stay quiet, be patient and you'll stealth through a major city" to "Move quickly, plan your route, prepare to evade zombies or dispatch them quickly, use cover in smart ways, weigh your options and don't take risks". It's not without bugs and issues but on the whole it has made the game much more complex and fluid and less slow and ponderous. The game seems to me to be better for it :)

Edited by Bribase
  • Like 1

So far I have had a some what good experience. It sucked gearing up and looting a heli-crash site only to put on camo clothing and have my inventory cleared.

I do agree with others who mention that zombies pull from a far distance. I will be across a field and if I dont lay on my belly some will just start running at me... Good side is I have gotten really good at losing the zombies but just getting out of their line of sight for 5-10seconds.

Are vehicles rare or are some servers still empty with out them?

Crowbars are very weak!

Some spawns on the coast give me instant zombie aggro.

-thats is all... for now :P

In all i love this mod and I will play with the issues listed above all day lol.

see if i care, really. here goes 20 pages of whining about zombies can actually see something instead of being blind. and same or even more on patch announcement thread, while it's the way it should be. feel free to ignore this one aswell. I guess your opinion really matter for me, since instead of commenting on my post content you decided to comment the way i posted. Feel free to lecture me.

EDIT: on topic: fall from tower twice and broke my leg only on second time. seems like bone breaking was significantly reduced.

Your a complete tit mate, no-one is complaining about legs breaking from fall damage thats realistic and reasonablew but a zombie breaking players legs who have just ran cross chern for hours and a zombie breaking a limb at 12k blood ridiculous please take your unreasonable comments and pathetic abuse tactics where people give a shit mate at least some other people came back with constructive criticism on my comments you just flame so now mate you need to GTFO and go play something where you get a challenge clearly this game is not for you or mod should iu say before you try and correct me...

This mod should be what the majority like

Hellz to the no!

Thank god we have rocket :D

Little bit of feedback (sure this is all known already!!):

Equiped a Ghillie suit - my character began to swim in the floor of a building, I swam down the stairs, managed to go back to walking: Inventory was cleaned out (my main wepaon ect) and the ghillie was not shown. just the defualt civilian skin.

hope it helps :) weeee

After hearing about how bad zombie aggro was my friend and i got on to test it.

-Zombies dont aggro from THAT far away. Took getting pretty close to get em to go,

-Prone crawling you can get inside of 10 meters from them and in their direct eyesight and still remain safe no aggro. (In Grass)

-Crouch walking is fine long as you stay out of there view LOS and crouch running works as well if you stay out of the LOS Since the new sound system is in place.

All in all it made it so we couldn't just run around the zombies, and it took some fancy footwork to weave and dodge around them, but we got the helicopter loot.

--------------------------

Some issues we found

-Friend could not see me in server though i could see him, he could see the loot i was moving/taking but not me.

-Ran after my friend for a ways, he couldn't see me so i relogged, instead of respawning where i left him by the road, i was booted back in to the position we originally started from, about 100m west of where we stopped to figure out what was wrong.

Otherwise seemed stable and fps was decent.

Edit: on another thought, zombies need to spawn less frequently. And if you kill/ clear and area, it would be nice if there a a 5 minute timer before they respawn. Or respawn after you leave the area.

Edited by Merrick

Your a complete tit mate, no-one is complaining about legs breaking from fall damage thats realistic and reasonablew but a zombie breaking players legs who have just ran cross chern for hours and a zombie breaking a limb at 12k blood ridiculous please take your unreasonable comments and pathetic abuse tactics where people give a shit mate at least some other people came back with constructive criticism on my comments you just flame so now mate you need to GTFO and go play something where you get a challenge clearly this game is not for you or mod should iu say before you try and correct me...

to start with: i didn't experience instant leg brake by zombies yet, this is why i didn't comment it yet. My comments aren't unreasonable. Zombies have eyes and they must see players. and what we have now is quite alright. From my experience in arma series soldiers can spot you on distance 100-200 meters in other words if you see them - they can see you aswell. Current zombie FOV is just fine. they can spot you on 5-30 meters if you aren't sneaking. i.e. you run crouching next to zombies. That was hilarious that they can't see you like that. now they can and people start to bitch because they need to get used to new zombies.

i played 1.7.2 on expert yesterday and today. zombies are not overpowered and they have no "eagle eyes" current FOV is okay. visited cherno already.

if you have some problem with me personally feel free to pm me.

Edited by n2-

The roll back bugs are what most annoy me. More often than not, scheduled saves don't work, so your character only saves when you abort. For example, today, some friends and I spent an hour and a bit raiding the NW airfield. It was a success and we were running through the trees when the server crashed. Our characters were rolled back at least 2 hours. All the loot we obtained from the airfield was gone.

But oh well, thats life, still an amazing mod and i will continue to play and enjoy it despite these issues.

I like the toughness of the zombies, but the aggro range tends to glitch out thus making it a pain to try and infiltrate an area and get some loot, especially when you don't have any weapons.

Puts more of an emphasis on the zombies, and takes away the ease of PKing. Guy killed me last night and was promptly swarmed by 10 zombies. Had a good laugh on that one. Sucks for you, Dave.

to start with: i didn't experience instant leg brake by zombies yet, this is why i didn't comment it yet. My comments aren't unreasonable. Zombies have eyes and they must see players. and what we have now is quite alright. From my experience in arma series soldiers can spot you on distance 100-200 meters in other words if you see them - they can see you aswell. Current zombie FOV is just fine. they can spot you on 5-30 meters if you aren't sneaking. i.e. you run crouching next to zombies. That was hilarious that they can't see you like that. now they can and people start to bitch because they need to get used to new zombies.

i played 1.7.2 on expert yesterday and today. zombies are not overpowered and they have no "eagle eyes" current FOV is okay. visited cherno already.

if you have some problem with me personally feel free to pm me.

Dude my problem with you is the abuse you hurled in your origional post okay if you had replied with a bit of respect i may have reacted differently.

Moving on i never once said that the FOV was OP nor did i Say anything else was OP

I clearly stated it was buggy and this is what is getting me down im not a 16 year old kid who wants an easy gaming experience i like a challenge okay and i admitted that in earlier updates the zombies were far too unaware but there are bugs where when im lying down prone in a field a zombie runs from the other side and aggro's me.

And that works for the other way around too theres been times where a zombie has walked near enough on top of me in chern or elektro and kept going.

My point was that in my opinion games/mods get released and the Mods of those games/mods get too carried away with adding more things before the first content is bug fixed. Yes i understand that in a way you need to add the things you want in the mod to see if they are liked and balanced but the best way to do that is for Rocket to be checking the forums constantly or have someone else doing it so that these bugs like zombies walking through walls, wire fencing, glitchy running, server issues and so on so forth.

They are my issues that is all and on a side note if your going to reply to someones post that hasnt directly targeted you or offended you try not to be so abusive then the forums would be more respected.

Because your first abusive post gave me the impression that you were a child with no common sense nor respect what so ever.

A couple of plus points to break up the monotony of bug issues and gripes about zombie behaviour.

:) I love the new animation from a standing run to prone! It looks awesome and should come in very handy when surveying from a hillside or sprinting and ducking into cover.

:) It's great to have some medical loot spawn at the deer stands. It means that making a beeline for the North without stopping for medical supplies in Cherno or electro doesn't mean a long crawl south in the event of a broken limb.

Edited by Bribase

Nothing, just wasted all my slugs when I tried to sneak past a village. A zombie saw me from 40 meters when I stood (in crouching mode) idle scouting around. Then all the other zombies aggroed and I dropped them all.

It pissed me off, so I came here to see if anyone else had the "issue", only to find out it was a feature.

Well, I didn't have any problem at killing them, but I wasted some good ammo in that.

Edited by Sutinen

It's unplayable.

I lie 100% still in prone mode and I get aggro from 50 m.

WTF?

I did not read the whole thread, but for people complaining about being aggroed by zombies: don't forget that it is now way easier to lose them once they're running after you. There are many ways to break their LoS and/or their speed. Just have to take that into account.

I myself enjoy this update very much, even if it still bothers me that a zombie can make you go unconscious in one blow, when you're around 10k of blood. A friend of mine died like this yesterday, and we had to run for ages before meeting again.

wish i had a pound for every loading screen ive gotten stuck at, id have enough for a day saver now......

Dude my problem with you is the abuse you hurled in your origional post okay if you had replied with a bit of respect i may have reacted differently.

My point was that in my opinion games/mods get released and the Mods of those games/mods get too carried away with adding more things before the first content is bug fixed.

only arma 2 beta patches can solve these issues.

Because your first abusive post gave me the impression that you were a child with no common sense nor respect what so ever.

-_-' when you see 20 pages of whining at one forum section and same at another, while patch make things as it supposed to work you can loose some temper a bit. i do atleast.

and well, i have no respect to people that come here and whine that zombies become dangerous instead of being decoration that you can simply ignore. It make a bit more sense to group up now, but still i'ts quite fine for loneywolfing.

Edited by n2-

My number one biggest complaint happened last night. I was trying to get into the barracks. After having to prone crawl, wait, dodge, find cover, use shadows I got within a few meters of the entrance. Then it happened. 2 Zeds spawned 6 feet from me and immediately went aggro. There really really needs to be a buffer distance for new Zed spawns. So no Zeds can spawn within 25-50 meters of survivor position.

Yup, not amused with this update. Zombies aggro way too easily. (I always crawl in a town!) When you manage to get a zombie aggro, you'll have to run into a building with 2 exits to lose them. By running you will aggro every zombie within a large radius on the front entrance of the building. And by exiting at the other end of the building you end up aggroing the zombies on that side too. And way too often the zombies just bypass and run around the building, making that tactic useless.

I'd just like to have the 1.7.1.5 aggro system back, it was perfection itself. Nothing was more fun than to crawl in a big town filled with zombies everywhere and zigzag around them and fear about aggro. Or fear that zombies will surround you and you'll have to think a best way to sneak out unnoticed. Now its just, like, zombie comes from behind a corner = You're dead. And in 1.7.1.5 you didnt have to make a plan how to enter a building through a doorway. In this patch its difficult even to get into a building since you have to crouch for a second.

Ok here's an attempt at a constructive post. Bit of a story / background incoming too:

I have been playing this game with a group of 3 friends for about 2 weeks. We don't play that often as we only play when we are all together. We had a big LAN over the weekend pre this patch and were still fairly n00b. Over the course of about 10 hours we learnt how to use the map, where to go and not to go and how to loot areas without aggro as well as what to do when you do aggro. By the end of the LAN we all had basic weapons, geared from hospital in Cherno and about half way to the Airfield (our prim goal is to obviously get decently geared in order to PvP). We were teaming well enough that we could pass through entire towns with minimal aggro through stealth and efficient + silent Z killing. It was great fun.

We continued our adventure tonight for about 4-5 hours. Our first stop was green mountain in hope of finding transport. This is where we encountered our first new Z. Understanding before playing that the mechanic had changed (more sight than sound based aggro) we walked up to the gate and opened it... 8 zombies instantly ran at us. In a panic we ran around like headless chooks and started firing. We downed the 8 odd, then a second horde came. This horde was wasted and then we could see another wave coming... We decided to run into the comms tower thing and kill them 1 by 1 in single file. We tried to exit the place without aggroing but ended up doing the same, as there is no place to lose Zs around here we just headed out to the forest and finished them off. As far as we could tell, Zs would have just keep coming regardless of how many we killed. We wasted a lot of ammo, bandages and general supplies.

Now from these two paragraphs you have two VERY distinct playstyles and as the night progressed it became obvious that what we had learnt on the previous outing pre-patch had to be thrown out the window. It is clear that stealthing doesn't work anymore. This poses two problems:

1) If it is assumed that Zs WILL be aggro'd no matter how careful you are, you need to be ready to engage them in any area that you are looting. There is no point drawing 1 away from the town / whatever to kill them and trying to stealth back in. You need to deal with it then and there. At the moment we are using hatchets as it is silent. I guess I am ok with this to some extent, though it is annoying that you are pretty much guaranteed to aggro a Z SOMEWHERE when looting. However overall this mechanic is not fun compared to the previous mechanic when looting.

2) If you do decide to take on Zs within the area as a group, regardless of weapon choice, be prepared to have to fight off potentially an endless wave of Zs. This is not from aggro from a distance necessarily but due to the fact that the Zs seem to keep respawning? This means that fighting a big group of Zs in a town / city / wherever is actually pointless unless you draw them away. As mentioned above though, if you draw them away then they have respawned anyway and you WILL aggro them going back to that place if you haven't looted it, basically an endless cycle. I also do not think this is a fun mechanic.

Overall, I think the change in Zs behaviour has probably taken a bit of the fear factor out of the game, certainly taken some skill and teamwork away (people spotting and covering as you sneak past several Zs to gather resources is great) but most importantly killed the fun factor with this aspect of the game to some extent. I also feel less inclined to explore areas given the Zs are aggro'd from ridiculous range and sometime seemingly randomly.

The game is by no means bad with this style, as you essentially have the same objectives /end points outside of PvP. It is just a bit more tedious and less fun knowing you are going to aggro Zs no matter what you do.

Will leave at that for now. Please no flames / telling me how to play the game. This is just an opinion of one alpha tester and nothing more :)

• Like 2

One more thing about the new aggro system - I've noticed that you can get quite close to a Zed crouch walking, but they will aggro the second you drop to go prone.

I think either the movement or the sound triggers them off.

On the whole, I approve of the new changes - but I would scale the aggro distance for crouching back just a bit. Keep the 100 metre radius for standing and running, but shift it back slightly. Then again, I'm sure once I work out what the safe distance is I'll change my mind.

Dangerous zombies FTW!

Edited by Bottlerocket

Is it possible to have some sort of poll to make it clear what the majority of us believe?

i.e.

"Did you like the new superzombies?"

-Yeah keep them like that they are great

-No this is ridiculous.

-Other

etc

Yeah, that would be awesome...

• Like 1

I have honestly had way more fun with the aggro zed in 1.7.2. Me and a few other survivors were quite pleased by the sheer size of the horde that came after us at the hospital in Elektro moments after a 3 way firefight. It got intense.

Almost unplayable at the moment.

1. Zombies are too hard at the moment, you cant do shit without being spotted.

2. The majority of servers don`t save your progress.... i started around 6 times from where i first logged in... after 2 hours of gameplay....

3. Always losing all my stuff....

Not in the mood of playing until those major problems are fixed.

This thread is somewhat confusing. On one hand you have the users who think the update has made the zombies harder and are glad of it. On the otherhand you have users saying it's too tough. What I want to know is:

- Are zombies supposed to be able to spot you if you are prone, in long grass, not moving and from plus 50 meters? That's what I have encountered when playing with the new patch.

- Are zombies suppose to aggro from 100 meters plus away? Surely if they notice you from that distance they would go into stalk mode, before getting close enough to identify you as a surivor and thus go full aggro and chase you.

To me the zombies behaviour is now too unpredictable, but maybe that's what is wanted. I found it hard enough before the update and would have thought just increasing the zombie count, especially in cities, would have sufficed.

Also, zombie animations and the issue with zombies aggroing outside through walls and buildings is a major issue.