senz

First impression: This sucks.

You can go back to CoD now. They have a zombie survival mode too and seems to be more up your alley.

Well I forgot to mention in my second post that I also fixed the blurriness by setting the 3D resolution to the same as the actual resolution. It's not exactly implied, I've been playing games since I was like 12 years old (before the trolls comment on it, I'm 22 now) and I have never seen a game with that option in the video settings. I did ask if it was supposed to be like this, how was I supposed to know this wasn't how the devs wanted it to look? I enjoy playing games, not playing around with their video settings.

I'm not being rude, I haven't insulted anyone and I'm having trouble understanding why people immediately jump to flaming and insulting me when I'm simply just stating my opinion about the mod. I even said I was going to give it a good try with my friends before ditching it. The internet has really gone downhill since everyone learned how to use it, it used to be such a nice and friendly place. For the most part anyway.

Now all games are just infested with rude, raging kids who take any opportunity to belittle and harass people for no reason, it's a friggin tragedy.

Also, I don't play COD. I don't even own a copy of any of the x completely identical games in the series, so stop telling me to play it.

Well I forgot to mention in my second post that I also fixed the blurriness by setting the 3D resolution to the same as the actual resolution. It's not exactly implied' date=' I've been playing games since I was like 12 years old (before the trolls comment on it, I'm 22 now) and I have never seen a game with that option in the video settings. I did ask if it was supposed to be like this, how was I supposed to know this wasn't how the devs wanted it to look? I enjoy playing games, not playing around with their video settings.

I'm not being rude, I haven't insulted anyone and I'm having trouble understanding why people immediately jump to flaming and insulting me when I'm simply just stating my opinion about the mod. I even said I was going to give it a good try with my friends before ditching it. The internet has really gone downhill since everyone learned how to use it, it used to be such a nice and friendly place. For the most part anyway.

Now all games are just infested with rude, raging kids who take any opportunity to belittle and harass people for no reason, it's a friggin tragedy.

Also, I don't play COD. I don't even own a copy of any of the x completely identical games in the series, so stop telling me to play it.

[/quote']

you'll have to excuse/ignore the hostility, seems to be an inherent property of any large community on the internet. best of luck! learning curve is a little rough at the start. should definitely play through the boot camp missions in single player to get used to things. also, this post is helpful as a super quick reference, though some of its information is outdated:

http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=7282

Yes.

THERE IS NO FUN IN DAYZ.

SO PLEASE EVERYONE GO BACK TO CoD!

Ok to fix the blurry affect simply set your 3d resolution to match your monitor resolution. M9ne is 1920*1080. I use a amd 6790 vid card a long way off from top of the line and yet this game is as clear as an azure sky of deepest blue!

People are flaming you because you played for 20 minutes then wrote a thread about how it's too hard (titled "First Impressions: This sucks." no less) then followed it up by complaining an alpha mod isn't polished. You should feel happy anyone is helping you at all.

Play the Arma tutorials for 30 minutes to get used to the controls and how the inventory, backpacks, etc. work. Spend another 15 minutes watching the DayZGuidez videos on youtube.

EDIT: Check this thread for further help.

Ok' date=' so I just bought the games and spent hours setting up this game because it was rumored to be awesome, and after playing for about 20 minutes I don't really want to continue.

It's all blurry as hell (is it like this for everyone?) so I can barely see what's what, I can't seem to open doors, I found an axe but apparently that only chops trees or something, I couldn't figure out how to apply a bandage when I was bleeding from a zombie attack, everything just seems ridiculously overcomplicated and what's even the point of this game? The way I was described I imagined a game similar to STALKER and I have no problem with things being hard or anything but this isn't hard it's just boring.

I thought it was supposed to be realistic, so why can't I enter 90% of the buildings I come by? Surely I could have just broken a window with my flashlight or a rock if the door was locked? I can't even jump..

It seems like it's just a rather poorly constructed world filled with static props and the occasional item spawn, and of course a ton of zombie spawns. Is that all this game is? Just running around looking for items and staying away from zombies?

[/quote']

You are garbage

I bought Arma 2 to play DayZ. I thought it was pretty shit at first, after being used to more polished games. But then I found out it was an alpha build, constantly being updated, bugs being ironed out etc, and my attitude towards it changed.

Eventually I got one of my mates to play it with me, and the first night we were trying to find each other for ages. It took 3 days to find each other, and when we did, that was it. Hooked.

In a nutshell, I think the reason most people love this mod, is because it's a refreshing break from all of the handholding that the other similar genre games have. There are no tutorials, no waypoints, no direction at all. You're dumped on an incredibly hostile island, with no food/water/weapon, no idea where you are or where you're going, and you'll likely die within half an hour of reaching a settlement.

It's fucking awesome.

People are flaming you because you played for 20 minutes then wrote a thread about how it's too hard (titled "First Impressions: This sucks." no less) then followed it up by complaining an alpha mod isn't polished. You should feel happy anyone is helping you at all.

Play the Arma tutorials for 30 minutes to get used to the controls and how the inventory' date=' backpacks, etc. work. Spend another 15 minutes watching the DayZGuidez videos on youtube.

EDIT: Check this thread for further help.

This. Stop playing the butthurt victim saying people are being mean to you.

I enjoy playing games' date=' not playing around with their video settings.

[/quote']

Seriously ? Not flaming you dude but mucking around with video settings is part and parcel of owning a pc and gaming, which if you have had one for any length of time you would understand anyway.

Dont ever get into flightsims if you do not want to muck around with settings ;)

Very weird comment :)

Good luck , its a great mod.

Jesus Christ... I'll point out that I said "First Impression", indicating that it's my first impression, not my final opinion. I obviously didn't make the thread just to bash your precious mod, I asked you questions about it and simply wrote down what my first experience was like and you all got butthurt and started flaming me for it, so don't put this crap on me.

I never said it was too hard, I said it was boring. The whole purpose of this thread was to get people to tell me what I'm doing wrong and give me some confirmation on whether or not it was necessary to adjust the graphics - like I already said, how am I supposed to know what the game is supposed to look like? I've had the game looking and working fine since before the second post I wrote in this thread, I simply asked about it because I wasn't sure whether or not it was supposed to be blurry.

I never cared what people on the internet said to me, it doesn't affect me in any way, it just annoys me that people these days use anonymity as an excuse for acting like douchebags.

Anyway, from now I'm ignoring everyone who don't have something useful or constructive to say.

I'm very thankful for all the constructive and helpful replies I've gotten, I just wish they didn't get drowned in hostile posts. I've been playing with some friends for the past few hours and we're having lots of fun.

Some of the posts here indeed came off as very harsh and insulting, but you have to understand we get alot of topics like this, people playing for 10 minutes and judging an alpha mod as if it was a full game; although most of them were alot less structured like yours. Granted, replies here are somewhat unjustified, but do understand that an alpha mod basically means 'anything goes'; what you're playing is the barebones of what the final mod might look like. It's buggy, it's glitchy, it's unfinished.

I've seen better posts get flamed far worse. Hell, you should see what people say to Rocket. Go read what people are calling him in the 1.7.2 release thread if you want to see real flaming.

All I can tell you is don't say something sucks after trying it for 20 minutes then complain when people call you an idiot. Your first post could've been much more constructive and less whiny (again, don't title a thread "This sucks").

I'm very glad that you got your video settings corrected and are now enjoying the game with friends. Try to have a bit more patience in the future.

Jesus Christ... I'll point out that I said "First Impression"' date=' indicating that it's my first impression, not my final opinion. I obviously didn't make the thread just to bash your precious mod, I asked you questions about it and simply wrote down what my first experience was like and you all got butthurt and started flaming me for it, so don't put this crap on me.

I never said it was too hard, I said it was boring. The whole purpose of this thread was to get people to tell me what I'm doing wrong and give me some confirmation on whether or not it was necessary to adjust the graphics - like I already said, how am I supposed to know what the game is supposed to look like? I've had the game looking and working fine since before the second post I wrote in this thread, I simply asked about it because I wasn't sure whether or not it was supposed to be blurry.

I never cared what people on the internet said to me, it doesn't affect me in any way, it just annoys me that people these days use anonymity as an excuse for acting like douchebags.

Anyway, from now I'm ignoring everyone who don't have something useful or constructive to say.

I'm very thankful for all the constructive and helpful replies I've gotten, I just wish they didn't get drowned in hostile posts. I've been playing with some friends for the past few hours and we're having lots of fun.

[/quote']

your OP is the typical comments you get from someone who hasnt got a clue. thats why you have been flamed and to be quite honest what did you expect? saying something sucks when you dont even know how the most basic controls work says it all.

you heard it was cool, thought youd have a go and bought arma, didnt bother to learn about how to play arma or even the mod your about to play and then moan about things you could of found the answers to yourself within a few clicks of a mouse? and then have the cheek to try and make your own personal inadequacies... a work in progress mods fault?

come on man, 1st impressions work both ways and our 1st impression of you was not good as you came across looking very stupid and even worse you seem surprised by this lol

Right... this not a COD run, gun, respawn & repeat game. This is a survival SIMULATION. You have to watch very carefully where you are going. You have to listen very carefully to your environment. You can die of thirst, starvation, blood loss. Freeze to death, or heat exhaustion. Not to mention the zombies and other players trying to do the same thing you are (and very often someone you meet will shoot you for your stuff).

You can use a hatchet as a weapon. Once you remove it from your belt (right click) you then have to load it like a regular weapon using your mouse wheel. The you can swing it as a weapon (left click fire button). As a matter of fact, the Hatchet is the weapon of choice against zombies. Zombies are attracted to sounds (long range) (their vision is very short range) so if you go popping off firearms you get every zombie within a mile or so running to your location. If you are in a big city get ready for 50+ to one combat against zombies.

I have to agree the UI is not the best. Some things in the game is too complicated. But that doesn't mean it sucks.

You should figure out the controlsand set up your graphics properly, once you do it's a lot easier.

About the jumping and all, that's just ArmA, nothing related to DayZ.

I actually learn the controls of DayZ through IGN's Anthony and Destin's noob video walkthrough(just hear their commentary) Next i proceed to play the ArmA 2 campaign to get used to the controls and camera before playing DayZ. First impression of this game wasn't too great, it has a very steep learning curve and incredibly difficult, nearly impossible at times. I had to learn hunting and healing broken bone from the wiki, experimenting with the infected's behavior and how to outrun them, locating the best places for good supplies through multiple deaths. You'll be a veteran after a day or two although mastering the art of long-term survival is another subject altogether. Strangely i haven't been shot by other players... luck maybe? I have players passing by the same place i was looting but never shot me and go by their business. There was a time where there was a large firefight going on and i just stay hidden for some time. Sorry if it's a little off-topic, got carried away there haha. ^^;

Thing is the game gets better with each playthrough. It truly sucks at first but awesome when you get used to it.

Ok, so I just bought the games and spent hours setting up this game because it was rumored to be awesome, and after playing for about 20 minutes I don't really want to continue.

It's all blurry as hell (is it like this for everyone?) so I can barely see what's what, I can't seem to open doors, I found an axe but apparently that only chops trees or something, I couldn't figure out how to apply a bandage when I was bleeding from a zombie attack, everything just seems ridiculously overcomplicated and what's even the point of this game? The way I was described I imagined a game similar to STALKER and I have no problem with things being hard or anything but this isn't hard it's just boring.

I thought it was supposed to be realistic, so why can't I enter 90% of the buildings I come by? Surely I could have just broken a window with my flashlight or a rock if the door was locked? I can't even jump..

It seems like it's just a rather poorly constructed world filled with static props and the occasional item spawn, and of course a ton of zombie spawns. Is that all this game is? Just running around looking for items and staying away from zombies?

If it's "blurry" then you're settings aren't correct. 3D resolution needs to be set to your monitor's optimal resolution (ie: mine is 1920x1080) and go from there. I'd suggest turning off Post Processing. If you get any FPS lag then turn off shadows and start turning down other settings until you get it where you want. The game looks good with everything on low as long as 3D Res is high enough.

You know what thats what you get for buying a game for a mod you dumbass how many time will I need to say this DONT BUY A GAME FOR A MOD

Ok, so I just bought the games and spent hours setting up this game because it was rumored to be awesome, and after playing for about 20 minutes I don't really want to continue.

Check your 3D resolution setting in the visuals. Even if you have everything maxed, if it's not set to the proper res, things will look blurry. I found that one out myself. Odd, but there it is...

As others have said: it's in alpha.

Thirdly, there's a lot more to the game than a lot of singular-minded people seem to understand... still... if people aren't spoon-fed goals and told what to do, it's as if far too many people cant think for themslves.

The game is about survival, and it's not actually "minimalistic"; there's a lot to it in terms of the mechanics.

Having to/being able to loot, eat and drink (an accurate mechanic; the more you run, the faster/more you have to eat and drink), being able to get infected, many different weapons, intensely stealthy but also some great action if you're quick and know what you're doing, and the use of everything from matches and wood to start campfires in order to cook meat, which you get by obtaining a hunting knife to gut animals, the use of medical supplies you find such as morphine, blood bags and bandages...

...and keeping yourself alive.

"Just" staying away from zombies? It's all part of using stealth, or balls-out firefights if you're quick enough and set-up for it... but, boring? Is that statement serious? Man, the tension and atmosphere in the game are intense. Zombies cause serious damage, and you also have other players to worry about, just as in a real-life scenario. You're constantly having to change positions, decide how to approach an objective, such as moving your way through a town filled with zeds, possibly players as well, and how you're going to snag the loot there-in to survive.

Excellent music/ambiance in the background, and the lighting and day/night cycles add to the mood.

Yes, there's a bunch of issues right now... but alpha is alpha, beta is beta... what do you expect?

You have to "make your own fun" in an open world, decide how you're going to survive and fight (and sneak) hard to do it.

It's not Call of Duty, man.

Do you team-up with someone? Will you get sniped out in a field or aggro zombies that are around the corner from a building you're attempting to enter? Will you get whacked by another player when you're walking through a town or building where they're hiding, and/or eaten by the rotting flesh-bags roaming around? Will you find enough food and drink to survive to take with you on your trek around the world? Will you find enough ammo to protect yourself? When should you/should you not fire-off a shot? Or take the chance of looting a town?

There's also vehicles, though it can be hard to get one in working order; once in a while you'll find one that already is, however, but don't count on it, so there's vehicle parts you can hunt for.

It's a game for people who love stealth and tactics, both in terms of tactical movement and planning, even in terms of eating, drinking, where/when to find/use food, what items are most important to stock up on, and there's stil plenty of shooting, if you've enough ammo to go that route.

Most people don't like the open PvP aspect, but, that just adds to the realism. For those who are into a game with more depth, we'll keep coming back, even if annoyed that some jamook sniped you from a treeline or tower, or you accidentally got swarmed by zeds and ended up becoming zombie meat.

But, if you don't "get it", then it's obviously not your thing... but how many times does this "game" (mod) have to be explained? People need to check into things more before they get into it, if they're unsure as to what it's "all about". If you don't enjoy it, then don't play it, no one is forcing you to.

If you do want to play it, try to hook-up with/make some friends, as going it alone is far tougher. Fun as hell when you can pull it off, but can be very difficult.

If it's "blurry" then you're settings aren't correct. 3D resolution needs to be set to your monitor's optimal resolution (ie: mine is 1920x1080) and go from there. I'd suggest turning off Post Processing. If you get any FPS lag then turn off shadows and start turning down other settings until you get it where you want. The game looks good with everything on low as long as 3D Res is high enough.

If you set shadows to low, it uses the CPU instead of the gfx card so setting it to normal is often quicker than setting it to low. You can switch it completely off but it doesn't make much of a difference tbh. Turn off postprocessing, antialiasing and filtering. Make sure to turn off mouse smoothing in the controls options screen (at the right) and also headbob in the game options. The screen and 3d resolutions should match, and apart from that if it doesn't play smoothly and look crisp (hate the postprocessing bloom) then your PC simply isn't up to the job.