Miragenz

Ambience/Sounds/Footsteps

I'm sure you've all noticed those sounds, of the gate/fence and the twig snapping, making you nerveous at the start but now you probably ignore it.

Also the endless ambience sounds of birds and crickets which is fun at first but tends to get annoying and monotone, atleast in my opinion.

I can imagine when just playing Arma 2 these things won't form a problem, because who cares about birds and snapping twigs when you're ploughing your way to the country side in your Abrams tank or your humvee.

However, in DayZ you spend countless hours wondering around through fields and forests where this does become annoying.

And the snapping twigs/fence sound is misleading, since listning to your surroundings is alot more important in DayZ then in Arma.

Which also brings me to another point of your own footsteps, maybe its just me, but when i have my headphones on with the sound on reasonably loud to listen to my surroundings, my own footsteps are to loud to have my headphones on when i'm sneaking through a house or whatever.

Also when you're covering some ground and running some kilometers through some fields the sound of your footsteps is also rather loud.

I'm not suggesting to lower the sound a player creates, rather reducing the volume of your own footsteps for yourself.

The twig/fence sound should be removed in my opinion, it would be cool however is such sound effects were triggered by players opening a gate, or if doors would make a sound when opened or closed.

As for birds and general ambience i would atleast like it if the frequency was reduced.

And just to point it out, this is my opinion, this is how i feel about it.

I don't expect everyone to agree with me or feel the same way about it.

I would like to hear how you think about my thoughts and what you think about it yourself.

Totally agree with all of that . Those first times where twigs snapped / fences banged really freaked me out cos I thought somebody was really there. Every time I hear it I still get a little paranoid just no where near as bad.

Now imagine if players/zombies/animals/the wind had a random chance to make these sounds. I think this game might send me a little crazy in that situation (in a good way!)

You guys do realise if a player is near you, you WILL hear them in the environment, breaking twigs, rubbing up against bushes and stuff.

Also afaik the gates banging and stuff is controlled by the music slider in the options menu.

Soldiers on patrol in woodland/jungle environments learn to dentist suspicious sounds, and also the lack of, in their environment. In survival schools during the Vietnam War, soldiers were often taught to listen for a lack of birdsongs and general noises and movement. Animals only do this when they feel safe, and they tend to run and hide when twenty or thirty VC were sitting on the sides of the path with guns and mines. I know it would be a monumental task for the devs to pull off, but that would be damn cool.

And no, I know exactly what gate sound you mean. I have my music off, and it still happens.

Also afaik the gates banging and stuff is controlled by the music slider in the options menu.

I dont think so, i've looked a few times and there really isn't anything i can change regarding ambience etc.

There are ambient sound modules in the editor but i don't think the one or two you need are there.

Soldiers on patrol in woodland/jungle environments learn to dentist suspicious sounds' date=' and also the lack of, in their environment. In survival schools during the Vietnam War, soldiers were often taught to listen for a lack of birdsongs and general noises and movement. Animals only do this when they feel safe, and they tend to run and hide when twenty or thirty VC were sitting on the sides of the path with guns and mines. I know it would be a monumental task for the devs to pull off, but that would be damn cool.

And no, I know exactly what gate sound you mean. I have my music off, and it still happens.

[/quote']

i suppose its to much to ask for with the current state of the game, so for now i would be happy with a few adjustments here and there rather then a complete overhaul.