AlphaRob (DayZ)

computer problems

alright, sometimes will i play dayz my computer overheats. my video cards temp jumps to about 100+ C when i play. but when im not playing its around 90 C. do u think theres something wrong with my video card. or my computer cant handle it.

CPU:

intel® Core i5 CPU 650 @ 3.20GHz

video card

NVIDIA GeForce GTS 240

The game is a resource HOG!!! For me, I bought a $15 desk fan from Rite Aid, took my side panel off my tower... and have that thing blowing DIRECTLY on my graphics card/heat sink. WORKS LIKE A CHARM, tell you what.

It's summer time, so take proper precautions to keep your system running.

The game is mostly CPU based...

if your graphics card is coasting on 90C (Nearly 200F) then something is seriously wrong.

your computer should kill itself before it hits like 75C... (not like suicide, but turn off to prevent damage)

Is it a desktop, or a laptop?

its a desktop

im not 100 pct sure if the temp was right. can some1 give me a program that tells me its temp, or how to check it.

Holy, dude. 100c? That could seriously damage your card. 90c and idle? I really suggest you check your fans.

Mine doesn't go over 80c, and it's overclocked.. and it's an ATI.

Whens is the last time you cleaned your pc ? could be something as simple as dust. Whatever it is ..it is too hot and your card is on the way to suicide :) I would be panicky if my card hit 80 degress let alone the temps you are seeing! Have you overclocked it ?

Also do you have msi afterburner ? You can manually select your card fan speed or set a profile for it for certain games so it cranks your fan when Dayz loads. Never recommended to have the fan at 100% all of the time via afterburner though :)

A GPU shouldn't go over 70ish C idle. Which maker/brand of GTS 240 do you have?

If you tech savy, replace the thermal compound of the GPU and CPU. Might as well do both. Mind the warranty if you still have one.

You can also add internal fans or put a big external fan blowing on your PC from that back. Remove the back accessory metal covers.

Download and install SpeedFan. If your GPU is idling at 90 C now, use Speedfan to turn the GPU fan on like 95% before it pops.

Use this http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html program to monitor your pc temp.

From what i read, you have a big problem with temp in youre computer. Steps for making things better is cleaning (dusting off) fans inside youre computer, fans on youre cpu, gfx and psu is the most crucial. Uaing a vacuum cleaner works, but be sure to UNPLUG youre computer before attempting to suck out the dust and shit.

Also be sure to obly use the short plastic handle on the vacuum cleaner, dont use any metal, it may damage or killing the components inside youre case.

You can also buy a can with Dust off, its simply a can with compressed air, use with caution, hold the fan still with one hand, or the fan might spin off and then its broken.

Also adding fans may help on the temp, casefans or simply remove the side door on youre comp for better airflow.

Use common sence when cleaning youre computer, if you do not know what youre doing ask a friend or a familymember for help.

PS... english is not my native language, so ignore the typos :)

1. Clean dust out of computer, especially around the fans and heatsinks.

2. Check that there is space around it and that you are not blocking the front, back and side (3 ventilation points).

3. Add/replace the case fans to cooler master or equivalent ones, good ones are relatively cheap and avoid unbranded ones. You need one at the front and one at the back. 99% likely that you will need 10cm fan at the front and back, but you should check it.

4. Check the graphics card and CPU by running a stress test on the PC, prime95 and 3dmark are good. Monitor the temperature of everything with CPU-Z.

5. If the graphics card or CPU is overheating still, you can either replace it or first try to re-apply the thermal paste.

ive cleaned out the computer. and ive also opened it up and put a fan on it. and im using a program called speccy to find the temps. when im not doing anything my graphics cards at like 73c. but my computers under warranty so i might just have a guy come pout and look at it.

thanks for ur guys help tho

a gts240 should idle at around 30c, are you sure its C and not F temp scale?

now when its runnning a game i fully expect it to run hot as its not a good card but in general you wont see graphic cards going over 80c unless they are OC or in sli/crossfire, or the case has bad cooling, but idle conditions it should never be over 40c unless you have a tight case or live in a stupidly hot place

There is a chance that the program that you are using to report the temperature is wrong. Previously I had an old version of CPU-Z which was reporting some scary numbers on a new PC, but updating the software fixed it.

CPU-Z is free, see if that reports the same as your other software, so you can discount that.

Cpuz does NOT report cputemp, cpuz give you basic info about youre cpu speed, motherboard chipset and ram speed and settings. Hwmonitor or speedfan will report temp for youre cpu.

GPUZ http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/ on the other hand report info/temp about youre gfx or graphic card if you like.

Hwmonitor is a greate free app who report all temps and voltages for youre computer.

Realtemp http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/ is also a greate small program that can monitor youre cpuspeed and temp.

...just to clear things out... cheers

I can run BF3 Ultra Quality for weeks but ArmA 2 seems kinda greedy.

Whatever: Try cleaning the fans of your GPU, CPU and Power Supply. Its summer, dust gets stirred up more easily. Oh, i dont know if that helps: I opened one site of my tower, the one facing to the wall because the wall is always very cool. But you have to put it very close so nothing gets in that opening.

Something is very wrong with your card if it is running that hot. It sounds like either the fan on the card isn't working at all or maybe the heatsink isn't making contact with the chip. I have a 460 GTX that runs around mid 30s idle and rarely gets over 60 and my house is warm(usually mid to upper 70s F). I have a passive Nvidia card in my HTPC that barely hits 70 when under load. Open the case with your computer on and see if the fan on the GPU is running. Touch the heatsink and see if it feels hot to the touch(ground your self first). This will let you know if it is really that hot or if it's an incorrect temperature reading. Like other guys have suggested HWMonitor or MSI Afterburner are both great programs to use. With MSI Afterburner check the temp and manually turn up the fan and see if A) the fan speeds up and B) does the temp drop. How hot is it in your house? What temperature is your CPU and Mobo showing?