Marcuss95

Humanity should reset on death...

since you lose everything on death, i think it is only fair you should lose your bandit skin too as i have it ( i defended myself ) then i died and now i have nothing and try to team up i just keep getting killed because of it and its really annoying. Please make it so humanity resets on death to !

Yup i'm pretty much being forced to continue killing people as no one wishes to team up. And Direct Communication not working on any servers without the beta patch doesn't help

@Pot Ducky i am totally the same and because you need to kill to survive as people always try to hunt you it makes the humanity go down even more. I was doing good until i became a bandit skin, since that i have just done crap and keep dieing due to having to work alone.

Humanity resetting on death is a bad idea IMO. I realize it SUCKS to try to regain it (as I was a bandit for awhile) But if a bandit runs out, and whacks a bunch of ppl, steals all their gear and gives it to a friend, then suicides.... he has gotten a ton of gear thru banditry, with no negative penalty. He resets as a survivor.

While I agree that humanity is not the best mechanic around, and it definitely needs work, we need to keep in mind it is alpha, and will likely change.

Killing bandits should add to humanity, that way you can "redeem" yourself if you're a bandit. as for self-defense, you should honestly avoid people if you're a survivor, unless you know them, and if you don't have /great/ gear and a survivor attacks you, either run away or make sure your "free target" or whatever thing flags itself, before you shoot back. Or heck, let the jerk kill you, so they lose humanity and have to deal with being a bandit.

why is it a bad idea? you lose everything else from your gear, your a different person... why are you still the same ammount of monster?

a better way might be you give people who were bandit less humanity at start but not negative. like lowering thier resistance to being evil or something.

@Fenrix thats a good idea. they make us have the pain of losing everything but keep us as a stupid bandit, its kind of unfair, but i also see what Trav is saying, people could abuse it, maybe like you say, you start with 50 less on next spawn and eventually if you end up going negative on spawn then thats your fault because only a true bandit would get that.

Respawning as a bandit is a stupid idea, especially when people want to try the truly good and the truly evil paths with all the people on these forums going on about teamwork im yet to discover it, being new and a bandit straight away ive played solo exclusively for a week now.

One way to truly solve this would be to add 2500 back to a players score upon a new life meaning those who became bandits out of self defence are given a clean slate whilst the truly evil mass murderers will still remain a bandit as their score is usually in the tens of thousands

I really can't see why only dropping it a bit would be a good compromise. It still labels bandits as survivors, and enables them to exploit the system quite a few times before it becomes anything resembling a problem. You're not a "completely new person" considering you're still you, at the computer, likely with the same mindset, if not worse, if you're a particularly nasty sort of bandit that's enraged because a survivor or a peacekeeper-type killed you and took your ill-gained loot. Banditry would be the /smart/ choice for people instead of /a/ choice, if they could just get away with it. As much as some want to turn this into a deathmatch game, there's a reason a lot of people are /not/ having fun because there are bandits out there that get a kick out of killing for the hell of it. At least the current system gives people a vague idea of who not to trust. As I suggested, a way to regain humanity through killing bandits would be a pretty good route for redemption, if you've become a bandit through self-defense. For now, though, if you want to stay a survivor, don't fight back unless that flag in the right-hand side of the HUD changes from "false" to "true". "Free Target" or whatever it's called means, as rocket himself has said, that you can fight back without taking penalties from the kill.

Heck, expanding upon Thomas's idea, add just enough humanity for one "murder" to be nullified when a new life is started, but /only/ if you were killed by someone not in your "alignment"(Survivor for Bandits, and Bandits for Survivors, currently). If a zombie killed you, or you jumped off a cliff, died of starvation etc, you shouldn't regain humanity for that. It would mean farming kills would be a stupid idea, since either way someone would be losing humanity if they're of the same faction, and if a survivor tries to farm it to help a bandit, they become a bandit themselves, and then both of them are screwed since they won't regain the humanity off of each other after the first kill.

well i really do hope the come up with some kind of settlement with it as i just keep getting killed by survivors. i tell them im friendly which i am and not 1 of them believes me and then kills me. then i lose all my stuff, respawn and the same happens. over and over. or if they introduced a money system and you could earn money or do something to earn money and you could pay so much to lose the bandit status, that would also work.

Eh, money is just fancy paper in an apocalypse, with nothing actually backing it, so probably not a good idea.

There are some really good ideas that have been pointed out in the forums; it's just a matter of time, from the bugs that are in the game now getting ironed out a bit, to more content being developed. Still an alpha, so it's a bit early to really hate on the mod.

Humanity is about 'YOU', not your character.

Your character won't be an asshat when he's dead. You still will be.

Some people may well give 'YOU' the benefit of doubt, some may not.

If you are afraid of societal judgement you probably shouldn't act like an asshat to start with.

Its actually a very simple mechanism.

Society labels or at least gives the members of society the means to do so.

People in a shitty situation create their own hierarchy.

If, for example you want to go all bandit and PK for 'survival reasons' (as so many put it) all you need to do is lose once.

Killing bandits should add to humanity' date=' that way you can "redeem" yourself if you're a bandit. as for self-defense, you should honestly avoid people if you're a survivor, unless you know them, and if you don't have /great/ gear and a survivor attacks you, either run away or make sure your "free target" or whatever thing flags itself, before you shoot back. Or heck, let the jerk kill you, so they lose humanity and have to deal with being a bandit.

[/quote']

This is an idea I am very much in favor of. I think I called it my "No Honor Among Thieves" suggestion. Have a humanity *reward* for killing bandits. This is a cookie for those that want to be a bandit hunter as well as a way for bandits to redeem themselves.

I like it!

It's like the bibilical passage: "The sins of the father will be passed on 7 generations."

You got to earn the right to be a good person again. There are ways to do it!!!

I think it should just be removed completely.

I'm not into the whole good/bad thing. Shit happens. All this in game chat about you friendly? and crap like that. I'm neither bandit or friendly...I won't usually even chat cause it's more of an annoyance then anything else. If I see someone I just move around like they aren't even there. While they sit there and aim on me like I should engage in some kind of dialog when I've got better thing's to do...lol. This some kind of magic something that judges you for thing's that no one really know's about what you did out there in nowhere land is just silly. (I suck at explaining thing's. I can go on and on about stuff that probably won't make sense when I'm done so...anyway) I'd just like to see thing's like this removed. Hehe.

Ya know, not shooting people works well. +300 every 15 minutes, right?

Like the idea of a +500 or so bounty on bandits.

And say reach +10000 for Baf skin with body armour.

This shouldn't be a problem for people that become "accidental bandits", due to self-defense or what have you, or just those moments we're not proud of.. because you can get your humanity back pretty fast.

But what people here are asking for, is "I want to go on a murder spree all night, but when I die.. I want it to reset". No, I don't think that's a good idea.

Humanity meter should NOT reset after death

Humanity penalty must be negated for killing bandits.

If you accidentally kill 50 survivors, you deserve the humanity you got. If you accidentally kill one, not accidentally killing another survivor for a short while, puts your humanity back on positive.

I like that humanity as the only stat carries through even after death. Terminating someone else's character progression and then being allowed to respawn to wipe out all negative humaanity, seems too easy, for a game that preaches hardship.

Also give anyone selecting respawning negative humanity, how about 2500 to reduce changing spawn locations.

since you lose everything on death' date=' i think it is only fair you should lose your bandit skin too as i have it ( i defended myself ) then i died and now i have nothing and try to team up i just keep getting killed because of it and its really annoying. Please make it so humanity resets on death to !

[/quote']

Yeah, have it reset so griefers and PKers can get even more of a drop on people? GREAT PLAN.

This thread has so much sad justification and enabling. This is the opposite side of the bandit world, you have the outright griefers, and the "THERES NO OTHER WAY!!!" denial crowd.

I wouldn't want to full humanity revival, but enough to return me to a survivor had I killed one person my previous life. You shouldn't have your frown turned upside down too quickly, but a little boost each death could be nice. Otherwise, just kill zombies (which shouldn't be too hard to do considering there are millions now) and keep to yourself while you work off your proper badboy debt.

I kind of feel humanity should slowly increase over time up to a maximum.. say about 5000. Why you ask? This is why (*note I am not, and have never been a bandit).

I once was forced to defend myself.. I could have walked away, but someone took a shot at me and given he had greater range I was forced to close distance and put him down. This luckily left me with 200 humanity. This is my weaker reason.

Here is my better reason. I've been in a position where I could eliminate at least 5 people on different occasions, but I'm no bandit and and neither is my friend that I play with. I chose to kill none of them as this would make me no better then the bandits I kill. What did I do instead?

*One teamed up with us, we kept him behind me and in front of my friend. This way trust was a non-issue.

*My friend communicated with 2 while i kept them lined up, they were asked to lower their weapons to show they were friendly and we moved away. They wished us luck afterwards.

*another approached us far to close and with inferior weapons. I told him to turn around or I would open fire and he did so, then left when I told him to move on (All on direct coms).

*The last communicated with us after he saw us kill a bandit we believe he was hiding from. Since we could neither see him, nor determine his intentions (ie if he was a bandits friend or not) we moved away from the direction we at least knew he was looking from.

So, for all these HUMANE actions I neither lost humanity.. but I also was rewarded with NONE. A system of humanity growth would have only further encouraged me to be diplomatic. Also I feel as though this humanity growth should only happen within a certain range of others, and should be delayed so you cannot see it increasing. further, the more time you spend with 1 person the less it should increase until it reaches zero (kind of like a pool that empties)

This way people who "accidentally" became bandits can simply 'try' to be near people and take no aggressive action to slowly become humane again. Yet a bandit with no interest in being humane will never have to worry.

Any ways.. just ideas.

Care-bear bandits, ridiculous.

No humanity reset, you reap what you sow.

They need to fix the self-defense mechanic, that's all.