dirkyd

L85 needs to be changed

I love the weapon, because it was the only one that could keep me somewhat safe from snipers sitting in a bush somewhere in a general direction headshotting you 700m away.

You won't see 'em with NVG or daylight they will just pop you. The only counter is Thermal Sight and that's it.

Me and my friend have found 1 l85, 4x as-50 searching choppers for two days and we know the pattern. The only thing you fint most of the time is the bullshit fn fal or the bizon. L85 is rare stop frequenting dupers heaven.

Why did mode close my topic and not this one? fucking lame?

LunaTik, you couldn't be further from the truth.

Discussions are happening on multiple threads.

The gun needs to go, not because it is OP, but because it doesn't fit. Thermal Vision cannot be sold at the local market. It doesn't even exist in significant numbers in the military. If you are saying that it should be in game because it solved an issue of snipers preying on players, then all it is doing is creating another problem without actually solving an issue.

I've played this mod since the early days and have always said that NVG's and Thermals should either go, or require just as rare batteries to operate them like in real life. This isn't Call of Duty Zombies.

LunaTik' date=' you couldn't be further from the truth.

The gun needs to go, not because it is OP, but because it doesn't fit. Thermal Vision cannot be sold at the local market. It doesn't even exist in significant numbers in the military. If you are saying that it should be in game because it solved an issue of snipers preying on players, then all it is doing is creating another problem without actually solving an issue.

I've played this mod since the early days and have always said that NVG's and Thermals should either go, or require just as rare batteries to operate them like in real life. This isn't Call of Duty Zombies.

[/quote']

I'm so tired of the "it doesn't fit excuse". The M107, AS50, or any silenced weapon doesn't fit. Yet I don't see you championing the crusade to get those guns removed. 1200m+ sniper rifles plus NVGs and a rangefinder make as much sense as a thermal scope. Either remove the AS50 and M107 or leave the L85 in game.

M107 and the AS50 are way more general military then thermal. Remove nvg's and thermal and the night time immersion factor will increase tenfold.

M107 and the AS50 are way more general military then thermal. Remove nvg's and thermal and the night time immersion factor will increase tenfold.

Anti material guns as well as NVGs and rangefinders make as much sense as silenced and thermal weapons IMHO. remove that shit, every weapon should be unsilenced, if you shoot you should experience the consequences

I have no problem making those weapons even more rare or removing them. I said earlier, the CZ hunting rifle should be the gold standard of long-rage firefights.

Ideally though it would be replace not remove. Because this game is based off of a military simulator there just isn't' the depth of weapons you would find in the average citizens home. However, Thermal Sighted weapons aren't common anywhere.

Not at all Lobo' date='

See the thread about crashed helicopters:

http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=21514

They are too common even when obtaining them legitimately.

[/quote']

That is not a problem with the guns, That is a problem with the spawn rate of the choppers. Additionally also a problem caused by admins that run restarts several times a day in order to generate new heli's and new loot.

Anti material guns as well as NVGs and rangefinders make as much sense as silenced and thermal weapons IMHO. remove that shit' date=' every weapon should be unsilenced, if you shoot you should experience the consequences

[/quote']

They make a ton of sense. People buy these things, the military use them.

Why shouldn't they be there? Because it's not balanced? Too bad. Life isn't balanced, you aren't entitled to jack and you have no more actual right to life than anyone else. Why should you in DayZ? To be honest you shouldn't. That first hour of getting kitted up should be the hardest thing you do in the game, because in that situation people just starting out have the biggest targets on their back.

LunaTik' date=' you couldn't be further from the truth.

[/quote']

It solved the sniper issue for players with the L85 and what you are also forgetting is the fun factor.

Having a 5on5 is actually fun, but not if both sides have no way of reliably detecting one another. When both sides have one, and a couple of snipers and medium range boys, then that is a very intense and fun fight.

Obviously some AK boy going against a L85 or a sniper will have his ass handed to him, as it SHOULD be. If both parties in this instance know of the presence of the other, then obviously AK boy would lose.

I actually doubt anybody has a problem with that fact. It has already been stated, that this is solely an anti bandit weapon. I don't need a fucking thermal laying on the outskirts of the airfield to give me a visual on player. Half a dozen zombies will do that and where he will go is pretty obvious too.

There is no other possible counter to sniping that you could get other then removing all those long range weapons aswell. You won't see those players sitting in a bush on long range even with NVG no matter what

Just because it is a post apocalyptic setting it doesn't mean we have to defend ourselves with friggin woodsticks. The thermal sight is a tactical element, which adds flavor to the game and providing an essential counter.

Even if you dish out the 'realistic' card it doesn't even work. They exist, dayz scenario doesn't destroy already produced thermal sights in any way. Even if we have only a small amount of them now, they exist and with that your point is dull.

If you want to add batteries to keep them going, then why not adding peeing and taking a shit? Already eating every couple of minutes is a nuissance and shooting a cow somewhere and filling a couple of water bottles doesn't even add any risk to you.

Adding batteries is only adding a timeframe, where you are more vulnerable to snipers. With enough brightness and gamma I couldn't care less if NVG is removed, I am having it off most of the time anyway.

I honestly agree how it was the only anti-pvp sniper weapon...

You only know what I'm talking about if you've actually used the L85 properly

The reason the advanced tech needs to go is because of gameplay.

Dayz has some great game-play mechanics. The risk / reward of nigh-time play . Flares / chemlights and torches is a great dynamic. But nighttime play is much less popular as it stands because you have guys running around with DMR / NVG . L-85 picking off people who are effectively helpless. This just isn't fun for the victims. No one wants to be on the receiving end of that.

This means what is in many ways the best part of the game is dying away.

The same applies to direct chat vs teamspeak. Everyone uses TS and misses out on one of the best gameplay experiences I've ever had.

The L85 is basically just a pair of thermal goggles that require 10 slots to store and a primary weapon slot to use. The damage and accuracy of this gun is PITIFUL. My clan and I have tested it out thoroughly on the Shooting Range ACE map and even zeroed correctly it has a 60% accuracy beyond 400 meters. When it does hit, it hits for 1000 blood per bullet. Pretty much every other gun in the game has superior firepower. So stop complaining you fucking carebears.

Isn't the L85 gone in 1.7.2? I currently have one at the moment, but im yet to update to the latest patch. Not because I fear loosing the thing, that I can deal with just fine, it's the other issues that im hearing about with the patch. But if it's gone in the next patch, it should fix everyones issue about it.

As for night vision and anti material sniper rifles. They've been hard to come by for me. Searched the barracks and numerous crash sites many times in the past to only find 2 pairs of night vision and 1 M107 with no mags. Considering I roll around in a group of 3-10, thats not great. We have however found numerous tents, and come across players with gear that we've wanted and taken it. Now we have about 5 sets of night vision, 2 M107's with 10 mags and an AS50. I'd say the balance for night vision and top grade weapons is about right.

Anti material guns as well as NVGs and rangefinders make as much sense as silenced and thermal weapons IMHO. remove that shit, every weapon should be unsilenced, if you shoot you should experience the consequences

Rangefinders are pretty common hunting equipment IRL, they should be more common ingame if anything.

But I agree on the .50 cals, as they are too good ingame. Either introduce real drawbacks to their use (weight, bulk, really rare ammo) or remove them. That cuts the effective sniping range significantly, so thermal is not needed to spot snipers.