Sign in to follow this  
lynn.zaw

DayZ Frostline Dev Blog Week 32

⚠️Disclaimer⚠️
Please be aware: Information shared in our development blog represents a work in progress, not the final product. Contents and features discussed are subject to change before release. We aim to provide insight and foster community engagement, but details may evolve as development continues. Thank you for joining us on this journey, with the understanding that what you see here is a glimpse into the process.

Survivors!

Welcome to our Dev Blog, where we offer an exclusive behind-the-scenes glimpse into the development of the DayZ Frostline Expansion. This space is dedicated to sharing our journey, including both the hurdles and triumphs we encounter along the way.
Your ongoing support has been crucial to the success of the game, and this blog is our way of showing gratitude by bringing you along on our creative adventure.
Let's talk about Ice & Springs of Sakhal. For next dev blog, we'll get into "Boats!" For now, you can find the teaser above. 

Ice Shelves 
A glance at our development process reveals the meticulous care and creativity that went into these icy expanses. This process involved developing both wireframe and textured versions, allowing us to fine-tune the look and feel of these ice shelves down to the last detail.

Spoiler

image (33) low res.jpgIce sheet.jpg

Furthermore, we've upgraded the ocean materials to reflect the chilling effect of distant ice shelves, adding depth and realism to the player's journey across these cold waters. This adjustment wasn't just about aesthetics; it was about immersing players in a world that feels alive and dynamic, with the harsh beauty of its cold environment front and center.

"Hand-placing each sheet with meticulous care was one of the most fulfilling tasks I've done so far, and it's an experience I would eagerly embrace again. - I definitely said this"

Mike - Environmental designer  

Hot Springs 

Hot springs in Sakhal serve as natural havens where players can seek warmth. However, as inviting as they may seem, these water bodies come with their own set of risks and challenges.

Spoiler

Low res.jpg

The concept of contrasting cold and hot environmental elements captivated us from the outset. Our ambition was to elevate Sakhal beyond the conventional winter landscape, introducing a realm where warmth and danger coexist. Imagining a rugged terrain where adventurers can seek solace from the biting cold, we envisioned hot springs. However, these waters aren't just warm safe havens; they are also dangerous, too hot to walk in, and too contaminated to take a sip.

The introduction of hot springs is just the beginning. We’re committed to creating a dynamic and immersive world for our players. Stay tuned for future updates, including the much-anticipated geyser eruptions.

Water Springs

A significant change to the DayZ Frostine map, Sakhal, that will influence your survival strategies. We're moving away from the traditional water pumps that many of you are familiar with and introducing a more natural and immersive element to Sakhal: Water Springs.

What's Changing?

These are natural water sources that have been slightly modified by locals to ensure easy access to potable water. Unlike the man-made wells found in other maps, these springs will blend seamlessly into the environment. Don’t be fooled by its serene settings! Just like the wells on other maps, it’s crucial to stay alert for other players who might be looking to rehydrate.

Accessibility: Positioned near the coastal villages, these springs are designed to look and feel like a part of the natural landscape. While they are secluded, we've ensured there is always a pathway leading to them from the nearest settlement, promoting exploration.

Audio Cues: We've paid close attention to the details, ensuring each water spring produces a faint, soothing sound of flowing water.

Spoiler

Spring Photo.jpgSping Wire Frame low res.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Beans 2

Boats is a great idea. I had very small hopes for a cropduster (imaging game had the mechanic when you could fly in that yellow bee through the blizzard, and chances that engine would fail in such harsh conditions would be high, plus zero visibility - man, that sounds like the beginning of long dark), but that is just my dreams. Amazing work guys. Maybe in 2025 think about little bird or at least of some type of air transport. If imply proper limitations (like max speed, or large fuel consumprtion that limits total air time) - think that will be great addition to Dayz ecosystem and won't ruin it in the same time. Heard about bunker idea (generator overload in you swithch both, so you have to choose between light or filtering the gas away) - man that is brilliant. It will be harder than Dambog because of gas, but in the same time it's very cool. Going there with without light, using NVG and ChemSuit - man I already can imagine that atmosphere. So yea, thank you for what you're doing. Whishlisted Dayz for myself, my dog and cat.

Will there be incentives to travel to some of these small islands? I cant see any points of interest but im sure with the amount of islands there will be plenty to see on the larger ones. Some of these islands will be cool base spots so even a log cabin, or a house or two, will be cool little additions to have.