lynn.zaw

DayZ Frostline Dev Blog Week 28

⚠️Disclaimer⚠️
Please be aware: Information shared in our development blog represents a work in progress, not the final product. Contents and features discussed are subject to change before release. We aim to provide insight and foster community engagement, but details may evolve as development continues. Thank you for joining us on this journey, with the understanding that what you see here is a glimpse into the process.

Dev Blog Support Image Forumn Size.jpg

Survivors!

Welcome to our Dev Blog, where we give a behind-the-scenes look at the development of the DayZ Frostline Expansion. This blog is all about sharing our challenges and successes with you, the community.
Your continuous support has been essential for the game's success, and consider this a way for us to showcase our appreciation by taking you on our creative journey.

Let us look into the fauna of Frostline.
For our next blog, we will discuss the environmental hazards.

The Hare

Adding the brown hare to the game was just a matter of time, as it already appeared in traps in its dead form. The challenge we faced was the visibility of these small brown hares on many of our surfaces. To address this challenge, we prioritized different poses and animations that would make it easier for players to detect when the hare is nearby. The hare will have a standing pose with its ears perked up when alerted, and it jumps when it runs away, making it easier to spot. The hare's ears are also an indicator of its alertness: ears down indicate a normal state, and ears up indicate an alerted state.

The Fox

Our animation team did a fantastic job on the fox. It features a pouncing animation and movements like shaking its fur and rolling on the ground. You will be able to watch it calmly from a distance.

Detecting these animals

Complementing the animation work, our awesome audio team has designed sounds for players to detect the presence of these animals in their proximity. You will hear little squeaks to indicate the hare's presence nearby. The fox will also make its own little raspy, sharp barks.

Jana, Game Designer

"The fox has three distinct audible layers for close, medium, and far distances, allowing you to instinctively know its proximity. This adds an immersive element to the game. The hardest part was finding sounds for the hare. I had to collect and reference various libraries and recordings of different rodents. I hope the result is convincing, especially the death vocalizations for both animals, which are particularly brutal yet realistic in true DayZ fashion."

Artem, Sound Designer

That’s all for the week, folks.
If you’re not up for hunting these animals, as some might find them adorable, you can always stick to a pescatarian diet, as Sakhal has plenty of fishing villages.

P.S: If you want to hear the alternative sound for the fox, you can find it here

• Like 3
  • Beans 2

looks great but animal movements and eating sound way to loud 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Will this also come to Cherno (same question for the other already announced features)?

Edited by 0vbb
  • Like 3

I’m so looking forward to this. Out hunting on the land. A bit of TheHunter call of the wild in DayZ 

21 minutes ago, 0vbb said:

Will this also come to Cherno (same question for the other already announced features)?

Both of these animals were in Chernarus during the Early Access Alpha, so I don't see a reason why they wouldn't re-implement them there 🙂

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Rustycaddy said:

Both of these animals were in Chernarus during the Early Access Alpha, so I don't see a reason why they wouldn't re-implement them there 🙂

selling point 

Awesome! More survival to be done alongside fishing! See you later can opener, I'm off to the frosty woods 🌳❄️

• Like 1

BI - Best (i)Recyclers in the world.

Sad that nothing really new will come, but maybe, some time in the future...
But as someone suggested, foxes should hunt for hens, that would add some interesting dynamics to the world.

And at the same time you could review the boars, right now in the game there are only aggressive or neutral animals. Boars should be turned into passive, they dont attack you in general but once you get close to them, they should charge at you.

• Like 1

Hello from a French player.

I read that you were going to improve your rendering system and that the game was going to have a better draw distance of up to 5/6km.

Today the game has a distance of 1100 meters on PC and console.
So can we conclude that consoles will also have an improvement in viewing distance?

And I have one last question regarding consoles:

It's been years since the PS5 and Xbox Series were released and even today, these consoles use "Old-Gen" versions of DayZ and I would like to know if you could take advantage of the release of Frostline to release a PS5/Xbox-Series versions and thus be able to offer “Next-Gen” improvements without being blocked by the PS4 and Xbox One versions?

You're not going to continue for 10 years with PS4 and Xbox One versions for the new consoles 😨?

I wish you good luck for the rest of the development. I'm waiting for Frostline on my PS5 and later on my PC if the expansion is really good.