Tora_egii

Make dayz great again

I have 2000 hours on old Dayz. And 2000 in New Dayz. Don't get me wrong, I think you guys revived the game, and Current Dayz is still a great game. However, many others simply want the game they have poured thousands of hours into. From a purely statistical perspective, this would only help you since it would bring back thousands of players that only want to play .62. And to host servers for it, all you need to do is set it as a beta on Steam you don't even have to make official servers for it just support community .62 servers. I'm grateful for your time have a good one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/14/2024 at 6:39 PM, Tora_egii said:

I have 2000 hours on old Dayz. And 2000 in New Dayz. Don't get me wrong, I think you guys revived the game, and Current Dayz is still a great game. However, many others simply want the game they have poured thousands of hours into. From a purely statistical perspective, this would only help you since it would bring back thousands of players that only want to play .62. And to host servers for it, all you need to do is set it as a beta on Steam you don't even have to make official servers for it just support community .62 servers. I'm grateful for your time have a good one.

I think the troube of 0.62 is not it's popularity it's the Hacked exe within Steam.dll wappers/emolators that allow start DayZ without the Steam & game license + 0.68 had 98% of items when 1.24 has about 75% with some more useless items. That's why it's still popular, but 0.68 and previous versions is SQF/Arma 2.5 (ToH Engine build) with syntax closed to Arma 3 1.0 version. When DayZ SA since 1.0 using Enfusion engine and completly different scripting language that more close to C# 4.0. that's all about.

• Beans 1

but i think you're avoiding the main problem and question. how has it changed? and more importantly is it right that it has changed that way?

The game has become more arcadey. In current Dayz any kind of firefight is nauseating with the leaning and the no recoil guns,  In old Dayz firefights were actually scary and actually hard. The atmosphere is a hollow shell of what it used to be. The base building is a nice touch but still stashes work on .62. This is of course my opinion but I just prefer the realness the old Dayz had despite all the bugs not to mention current Dayz also has game-breaking bugs (mantis hands, not holding your gun on the server when it's on your screen). And also when they originally ported from .62 to .63 with the new engine it didn't seem like they were trying to make the game better, It was that they were porting it to Console, which they ended up doing. So now PC Dayz just feels like a console game and once again I'm not saying to just revert to .62 and abandon the current version,I'm just saying support .62 community servers so people can play the game they poured thousands of hours into.

21 hours ago, Tora_egii said:

The game has become more arcadey. In current Dayz any kind of firefight is nauseating with the leaning and the no recoil guns,  In old Dayz firefights were actually scary and actually hard. The atmosphere is a hollow shell of what it used to be. The base building is a nice touch but still stashes work on .62. This is of course my opinion but I just prefer the realness the old Dayz had despite all the bugs not to mention current Dayz also has game-breaking bugs (mantis hands, not holding your gun on the server when it's on your screen). And also when they originally ported from .62 to .63 with the new engine it didn't seem like they were trying to make the game better, It was that they were porting it to Console, which they ended up doing. So now PC Dayz just feels like a console game and once again I'm not saying to just revert to .62 and abandon the current version,I'm just saying support .62 community servers so people can play the game they poured thousands of hours into.

agreed. its like the game is NOTHING like its identity was founded upon. to be sold out for the arcade crowd and cash. figures since none of the people in charge of the game actually play it

On 4/17/2024 at 4:50 PM, lakevu said:

agreed. its like the game is NOTHING like its identity was founded upon. to be sold out for the arcade crowd and cash. figures since none of the people in charge of the game actually play it

hopefully, this post will make them take a look at it again I doubt it though.

3 hours ago, Tora_egii said:

hopefully, this post will make them take a look at it again I doubt it though.

unlikely. it seems the people working on the game have all but abandoned the forums for this game where there is a single person named "kyiara" that from time to time makes a comment. completely indicative of people who just. dont care.

i remember the first people that worked on this game back in the mod that spend hours talking to people on the forums about the game. how it should be. what should happen. etc etc. none of that anymore.

1 hour ago, lakevu said:

unlikely. it seems the people working on the game have all but abandoned the forums for this game where there is a single person named "kyiara" that from time to time makes a comment. completely indicative of people who just. dont care.

i remember the first people that worked on this game back in the mod that spend hours talking to people on the forums about the game. how it should be. what should happen. etc etc. none of that anymore.

just gotta spread the message around then ig

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Tora_egii said:

just gotta spread the message around then ig

then i hope you have more luck than i do, because directly below this thread i made the "Dayz's Flawed Foundations: Movement and Gunplay" one which was about 2 years ago. nothing has changed and not a single one of the issues i brought up has been addressed. 

once again i think the source. the root cause of the problem is the people in charge of this clown show simply dont play the game and dont care. because how can you ever hope to make correct decisions about what the game should or should not have if you dont even play the game?

Edited by lakevu

7 hours ago, lakevu said:

Hi, yeah, I've been reading the forum as you know. The reason why the people you mentioned are NOT replying on the forum is that it's not their job. They also read it, often in their free time, but their job doesn't involve replying to comments; they're focused on working on the game. I'm not capable of talking codes, so I gather the feedback and have those lovely talks with you guys. 🙂

I know I've mentioned this before, but although we appreciate your suggestions and happily consider them, it doesn't guarantee their implementation. Oh, and there isn't a single member of the dev team who doesn't play the game. There are even many people from the community (including very well-known and respected modders) working on the game. But thank you for your assumptions.

Hey Kyiara,

are you playing the game too, how often and on which system? 

What is your opinion/official answer to the argument above, that Console-adaption is the real reason why dayz doesn't feel the same like in stone age 0.62. and that the game was arcadified for console-casuals in hindsight of camera-movement game physics and interaction with the environment. 

Thx

On 4/19/2024 at 6:52 AM, Kyiara said:

Hi, yeah, I've been reading the forum as you know. The reason why the people you mentioned are NOT replying on the forum is that it's not their job. They also read it, often in their free time, but their job doesn't involve replying to comments; they're focused on working on the game. I'm not capable of talking codes, so I gather the feedback and have those lovely talks with you guys. 🙂

I know I've mentioned this before, but although we appreciate your suggestions and happily consider them, it doesn't guarantee their implementation. Oh, and there isn't a single member of the dev team who doesn't play the game. There are even many people from the community (including very well-known and respected modders) working on the game. But thank you for your assumptions.

As a community manager can you give an official opinion on if it is possible or not to support .62 community servers? or if its just not going to be done.

Thanks.

On 4/19/2024 at 6:52 AM, Kyiara said:

i see

this is what im talking about. i understand its "not their job" but if they had the passion for it they would. it wasn't deans or matt lightfoots "job" to hop on the forums in the mod days and talk to everyone. they wanted to do it. they were obsessed and extremely passionate about the game so they wanted to talk about and think about ideas for the game. and it certainly wasn THEIR job was it? they didnt have to do that. but they wanted to because they were passionate about the game.

as for "playing the game". do you play the game kyiara? at all? how much? is it your "favorite" game?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Tora_egii said:

As a community manager can you give an official opinion on if it is possible or not to support .62 community servers? or if its just not going to be done.

Thanks.

Hi, this is not going to be done. There are several reasons for this, ranging from technical to practical concerns. Primarily, the focus is on the future of the game rather than its past.

7 hours ago, lakevu said:

i see

this is what im talking about. i understand its "not their job" but if they had the passion for it they would. it wasn't deans or matt lightfoots "job" to hop on the forums in the mod days and talk to everyone. they wanted to do it. they were obsessed and extremely passionate about the game so they wanted to talk about and think about ideas for the game. and it certainly wasn THEIR job was it? they didnt have to do that. but they wanted to because they were passionate about the game.

as for "playing the game". do you play the game kyiara? at all? how much? is it your "favorite" game?

Trust me, after 10 years, their focus would also be elsewhere and not on the forum, because you need to work efficiently. And of course, there is Discord...

I have been in the game business for over 10 years, and if I've learned something, it's that the more you play the game, the more your feedback is affected by personal opinion. Which is not always the best.
But since you have asked, I do play, not as often as I would like, as I have two small kids who have become my priority during my personal time. If I play DayZ, I know it's not going to take an hour; it's usually at least 3, so it's slightly time-consuming. And I also spend a large amount of time on our test servers. Am I a good player? Not really. I am a very casual player, but I play with friends or even my husband when I get the chance, and when I do, I truly enjoy it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Beans 1

17 hours ago, Kyiara said:

Hi, this is not going to be done. There are several reasons for this, ranging from technical to practical concerns. Primarily, the focus is on the future of the game rather than its past.

What are those 7 reasons?

15 hours ago, Kyiara said:

Trust me, after 10 years, their focus would also be elsewhere and not on the forum, because you need to work efficiently. And of course, there is Discord...

I have been in the game business for over 10 years, and if I've learned something, it's that the more you play the game, the more your feedback is affected by personal opinion. Which is not always the best.
But since you have asked, I do play, not as often as I would like, as I have two small kids who have become my priority during my personal time. If I play DayZ, I know it's not going to take an hour; it's usually at least 3, so it's slightly time-consuming. And I also spend a large amount of time on our test servers. Am I a good player? Not really. I am a very casual player, but I play with friends or even my husband when I get the chance, and when I do, I truly enjoy it.

"the more you play the game the more your feedback is affected by personal opinion". I would hope so! thinking about the game and "theorizing" about its mechanics is much more different that actually playing with it and seeing it in action. which i hope would have an affect on feedback.

and i see. so did you ever play the mod? or the .62 version of the game? or is this .63 and onward the only version you have played?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lakevu said:

"the more you play the game the more your feedback is affected by personal opinion". I would hope so! thinking about the game and "theorizing" about its mechanics is much more different that actually playing with it and seeing it in action. which i hope would have an affect on feedback.

and i see. so did you ever play the mod? or the .62 version of the game? or is this .63 and onward the only version you have played?

The thing is, my job is to forward the feedback. It's not up to me to judge if the feedback is good or not (I can filter only what I know it's not possible or I already checked with the team). That is why my personal opinion on that matter is not important. Sure, I have my personal opinion on certain things, but that is not important regarding what my job entails. There is always much more to take into account when it comes to decisions about the game.

I played DayZ briefly when it was still a mod and after it became standalone. As you know, being Czech and working in gaming, it is kinda a must to try new Czech games. And honestly, I don't remember much of it; I remember encountering a few issues and stopped playing after a while. Also, I worked on a different project back then, so I focused on that. But as I mentioned, this is certainly not about me or my experience; I work with what we have now and we certainly have way more experienced people in the team - and a lot of testing 😉 

17 hours ago, Kyiara said:

The thing is, my job is to forward the feedback. It's not up to me to judge if the feedback is good or not (I can filter only what I know it's not possible or I already checked with the team). That is why my personal opinion on that matter is not important. Sure, I have my personal opinion on certain things, but that is not important regarding what my job entails. There is always much more to take into account when it comes to decisions about the game.

I played DayZ briefly when it was still a mod and after it became standalone. As you know, being Czech and working in gaming, it is kinda a must to try new Czech games. And honestly, I don't remember much of it; I remember encountering a few issues and stopped playing after a while. Also, I worked on a different project back then, so I focused on that. But as I mentioned, this is certainly not about me or my experience; I work with what we have now and we certainly have way more experienced people in the team - and a lot of testing 😉 

i see

what you say here. "It's not up to me to judge if the feedback is good or not". i dont see how this can be true. because YOU HAVE to have a filter of good or bad if you are the person relaying information to other people if they are not checking here themselves. so you MUST have a judgement of what is worthwhile and what isnt. how you have decided to yourself what is "good" or "bad" here i dont know or if it is even correct or incorrect judgement standards.

and as for the reason i ask whether you played the mod or not vs just this .63 version of the game is because. dayz was a MUCH different game than it is now. almost to the point of being unrecognizable today, and not in a good way. so i can understand if your "idea" of what the game is would be "altered" by that in only seeing this version of the game and having that to go by. vs where it began and how it originated in its beginning.

which if what you say is true, from before of "Oh, and there isn't a single member of the dev team who doesn't play the game.". then something else is going on here to why the game is the way it is right now of being very estranged from its foundations and what it was envisioned to become.

6 hours ago, lakevu said:

i see

what you say here. "It's not up to me to judge if the feedback is good or not". i dont see how this can be true. because YOU HAVE to have a filter of good or bad if you are the person relaying information to other people if they are not checking here themselves. so you MUST have a judgement of what is worthwhile and what isnt. how you have decided to yourself what is "good" or "bad" here i dont know or if it is even correct or incorrect judgement standards.

and as for the reason i ask whether you played the mod or not vs just this .63 version of the game is because. dayz was a MUCH different game than it is now. almost to the point of being unrecognizable today, and not in a good way. so i can understand if your "idea" of what the game is would be "altered" by that in only seeing this version of the game and having that to go by. vs where it began and how it originated in its beginning.

which if what you say is true, from before of "Oh, and there isn't a single member of the dev team who doesn't play the game.". then something else is going on here to why the game is the way it is right now of being very estranged from its foundations and what it was envisioned to become.

Nope, our development team handles that. They're the experts on what's doable and how it would help the game.
As I've spent more time with DayZ, I've gotten better at filtering stuff, but the game keeps changing. So, I still track info because what wasn't possible three years ago might be possible next year. I've made it easier for them by putting all the info they need in one place, so they don't have to search forums or social media. I categorize feedback as 'urgent' or 'check later,' prioritize based on how often something's requested, and consider its importance. But I'm also not the only one doing this. The devs are out there as well, making sure nothing is being overlooked; they just don't need to comment on the feedback.

I understand where you're coming from, but the game's doing better than ever. However, to keep it strong, it needs to evolve. If we made the game exactly what you wanted but nobody else played it, support would dry up. I'm exceeding here because I know you're not alone.

Your feedback matters, but we can't overhaul the game based on one or a few people's preferences. We have to think about all the different players out there and also the game possibilities. Plus, there are community servers for players who want something different, and that's working just fine. We'll keep tweaking the game, adding stuff, fixing bugs, and support the community content. But remember, our game isn't subscription/in-game payment-based. You buy it once, and we have to make sure we will be able to support it as long as it's possible.

I know you mean well, I am just trying to explain that we do as well...

• Beans 1

The movement speed is still too fast, especially lateral movement. People actually move side to side to draw fire, that’s how ridiculous it is. The damage drop off from rifles is also a major problem. A 400 meter shot from a high powered rifle should put someone down no problem. Get rid of all these unrealistic calculations and make the guns realistic and a players response to getting hit realistic. Don’t forget who your audience is or you will lose them in pursuit of a different audience. Not everyone likes the same types of games, that’s fine. You cant make a game for everyone so don’t try. Make the game more realistic because that’s what your audience wants. I only listed 2 things that I have a problem with, but those two are pretty glaring to me.

Posted (edited)

hey Kyiara,

It's great that you reveal a little bit of your personal stuff here and give us a tiny insight into your work. I usually like to complain, but that just creates trust. Personally, I think it would be important and right that our feedback is not only passed on to the developers by you in a qualified and quantified way, but that direct dialogue is often sought from your side, as is the case now. this is certainly not easy, especially if you always try to leave your own opinion and your own sentiment outside. That's why I -additionally- asked above about the "official position" on the question of how the development of the console version had an impact on the general development of Dayz. In principle, the question could also be answered from a purely technical point of view, I think.

by the way, unlike Iakevu, I only started Dayz Standalone on the PS4 in April 2020. So that was almost exactly 4 years ago. I don't really care if or not the mod or everything pre.63 is the real Dayz or not. I can't judge at all. but what I can judge is the development of the game on the Playstation over the last 4 years. And I'm one of those extremists with thousands of hours of gameplay and I loved it.

I never even remotely expected that you would bring into the game exactly what I hoped for or would be logical or easy to realize in my opinion. I've always tried to cope with your -sometimes really weird- development decisions. at least until the beginning of last year. Back then, Your changes to the 3pp-camera was an absolute no-go for me for many reasons. Camera movement and perspective are an absolute core building block for every video game and VR environment. and it`s a very personal choice which perspektive, 1pp or 3pp you are prefering depending on the task. You should not play around so lightly with such things. But the same applies to many other areas where you made erratic changes: Game Physics/Light/Sounds, Interaction/Control/Movement. some values, like collision for barrels or trees, behavior/sound of weapons i.e. where changed multiple times, resulting in a darker(less visibility of lightsources) more silent(cars/weapons/other) and partially annoying(bird/wildlife/crafting-sounds) immersionless environment. In many, if not almost all, aspects of the game where i`m interessted in -with the possible exception of cardriving- I hardly see any improvements that let me cheer past 2 years. 

And here I am absolutely on the side of Iakevu: That's not what Dayz could be, but it`s maybe exactly what you believe it should be and would be more profitable for you, simply rising the bodycount .

Maybe our gentlemen developers should think about whether it would not be worthwhile to get out of the tunnel and into the forum/other for 1-2 hours from time to time to discuss openly. (and yes, i know the livestreams, but it`s not what i mean). Because as you have already explained correctly, Kyiara, sometimes one is so convinced of the correctness of one's own actions or opinions that one no longer sees/hears others. and what the developers see and hear from us, well, you influence that, with all neutrality, of course, already significantly involved. 

cheers

Edited by RenDark2000
  • Like 1

On 4/24/2024 at 10:33 AM, RenDark2000 said:

hey Kyiara,

It's great that you reveal a little bit of your personal stuff here and give us a tiny insight into your work. I usually like to complain, but that just creates trust. Personally, I think it would be important and right that our feedback is not only passed on to the developers by you in a qualified and quantified way, but that direct dialogue is often sought from your side, as is the case now. this is certainly not easy, especially if you always try to leave your own opinion and your own sentiment outside. That's why I -additionally- asked above about the "official position" on the question of how the development of the console version had an impact on the general development of Dayz. In principle, the question could also be answered from a purely technical point of view, I think.

by the way, unlike Iakevu, I only started Dayz Standalone on the PS4 in April 2020. So that was almost exactly 4 years ago. I don't really care if or not the mod or everything pre.63 is the real Dayz or not. I can't judge at all. but what I can judge is the development of the game on the Playstation over the last 4 years. And I'm one of those extremists with thousands of hours of gameplay and I loved it.

I never even remotely expected that you would bring into the game exactly what I hoped for or would be logical or easy to realize in my opinion. I've always tried to cope with your -sometimes really weird- development decisions. at least until the beginning of last year. Back then, Your changes to the 3pp-camera was an absolute no-go for me for many reasons. Camera movement and perspective are an absolute core building block for every video game and VR environment. and it`s a very personal choice which perspektive, 1pp or 3pp you are prefering depending on the task. You should not play around so lightly with such things. But the same applies to many other areas where you made erratic changes: Game Physics/Light/Sounds, Interaction/Control/Movement. some values, like collision for barrels or trees, behavior/sound of weapons i.e. where changed multiple times, resulting in a darker(less visibility of lightsources) more silent(cars/weapons/other) and partially annoying(bird/wildlife/crafting-sounds) immersionless environment. In many, if not almost all, aspects of the game where i`m interessted in -with the possible exception of cardriving- I hardly see any improvements that let me cheer past 2 years. 

And here I am absolutely on the side of Iakevu: That's not what Dayz could be, but it`s maybe exactly what you believe it should be and would be more profitable for you, simply rising the bodycount .

Maybe our gentlemen developers should think about whether it would not be worthwhile to get out of the tunnel and into the forum/other for 1-2 hours from time to time to discuss openly. (and yes, i know the livestreams, but it`s not what i mean). Because as you have already explained correctly, Kyiara, sometimes one is so convinced of the correctness of one's own actions or opinions that one no longer sees/hears others. and what the developers see and hear from us, well, you influence that, with all neutrality, of course, already significantly involved. 

cheers

The devs actually talking to the community would be gold. Sure some people just throw shit at the wall/them and bad ideas around but there is a core of the community that really just wants 3/4 things:

-more guns, eastern european & historic

-more ammo types and attachments which kinda goes with^

-more clothes, civilian and military, mostly civilian though most people seem to not want to be a army man but a camouflaged survivor

-better zombies

-deeper camping/foraging stuff I've seen too and old ballistics that make guns more lethal again

• Sad 1

On 4/24/2024 at 8:03 AM, Sean_87__ said:

The movement speed is still too fast, especially lateral movement. People actually move side to side to draw fire, that’s how ridiculous it is. The damage drop off from rifles is also a major problem. A 400 meter shot from a high powered rifle should put someone down no problem. Get rid of all these unrealistic calculations and make the guns realistic and a players response to getting hit realistic. Don’t forget who your audience is or you will lose them in pursuit of a different audience. Not everyone likes the same types of games, that’s fine. You cant make a game for everyone so don’t try. Make the game more realistic because that’s what your audience wants. I only listed 2 things that I have a problem with, but those two are pretty glaring to me.

Too many guns are useless so yes they totally need to do this. They don't seem to get either (and I get so much flak for this but) people who play Cod and Fortnite and everything the DayZ community hates also play and enjoy DayZ for all the reasons the community loves.

This game is a gem gaining traction again in a broader audience and they need to see that before they kill it.

• Confused 1