Pyongo Bongo

Repair Buttstocks and Handguards with Epoxy

1 minute ago, Pyongo Bongo said:

21 hours ago, Pyongo Bongo said:

"Nice idea". I'm not sure maybe it's fine when you have the civilian carabine that's shooting only in semi-auto mode it might be fine.

But when you working with the fine mid cal (5.45 - 5.56 [.223]) in full auto mode your barrel may met an awesome troubles from the simplest like meltdown of handgurds (plastic parts) up until collection of heating with returning it back to the barel and future barrel/gas block meltdown.

Now let's guess about temperature, overheating is when gas block reaches 230 deg of Celsius (sorry I'm far from imperial measurements systems). In fast way you'll get barrel explosion (AR platforms) and on AK platforms you'll get the weaking the base of the gas tube (place where gas tube connection with barrel) within immediately from the place of fixation and automation failure (basically if you'll have a table or wood nearby or even fine boots on your legs you can perform recharging of AK based firearms within your legs and it would be quite awesome if at the same time you'll try to adjust gas block to back on the place.

Why do I told about 230° C - the tempirature of standard epoxy amine compositions is about 130° - 150°C. When you're "fixed" hand guard temperature reached those values your putty will start melting within fine amount of thick smoke and yours handguard could became to the fine smoke grenade but without grenade action 🙂

So i think it's not quite awesome idea, but maybe I'm digging too deep and everything overall won't be so bad 😂

• Beans 1

3 hours ago, Sid Debian said:

"Nice idea". I'm not sure maybe it's fine when you have the civilian carabine that's shooting only in semi-auto mode it might be fine.

[long text]

So i think it's not quite awesome idea, but maybe I'm digging too deep and everything overall won't be so bad 😂

Aha. So you are saying it wouldn't work, thank you for giving us this insight.

Is there no way you could reasonably/realistically repair most buttstocks and handguards in the game?

If there is absolutely no way, then I think we should not be able to repair them.

If there is a reasonable way survivors could do it IRL that works well enough, then epoxy putty could just work as a stand-in for the more realistic method.

This way they wouldn't have to add multiple items and complicated methods for repairing buttstocks and could just say:

"Epoxy repairs attachments, it makes no sense but good enough"

• Like 1

I don't see nothing wrong with epoxy putty fixing attachments. Having stuff spawn damaged but not having ability to fix it sucks.
Badly damaged attachments don't affect the stats from what I know, so it's purely cosmetics.

Why can epoxy putty fix plate carriers but can't fix plastic bits? If we want to get nit-picky about realism then we need to take a few steps back and fix other more amusing unrealistic aspects.

• Beans 1