Kyiara

DayZ Update 1.24 & DayZ in 2024

Hello, Survivors!
While we're thrilled to start the year with update 1.24, we're equally eager to offer you a glimpse into what we have planned for the remainder of 2024.
Read the full article here.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Looking forward for new updates this year.

This year represents a significant departure from our typical update delivery model.

Could you elaborate a little what does it mean exactly? I think that in the past articles you said that the dev team will follow similar pattern during 2024 as in previous years, so does it mean it's going to change?

As we indicated last year (DayZ in 2023 & DayZ 10 Year Anniversary Q&A), our focus has been on expanding the scope of the DayZ brand. Significant resources have been allocated to this endeavor, and we’re poised to showcase the initial outcomes later on this year – it's a colossal milestone and an exhilarating moment you won't want to miss! We’re still working out all the details, but I am pleased to share our strategic areas of focus for 2024.

I think that everyone already expects new DLC, probably with a new map. Console players are asking the same question regarding winter map on every social platform so I would say that expectations may possibly match with the real outcome later this year 😅

Our recently reinforced audio team has already begun the major task of reworking the sounds of firearms. Other parts of the game’s audio are also being concentrated on, including the addition of new action sounds, coupled with a substantial balancing of the audio that’s tied to player actions.

I'm wondering if you have considered doing some tiny reworks of infected sounds. I think it would be a good idea to make them a little more scary. During mod days they were more hmmn.. aggressive and violent? But not because of design or mechanics, they were just creating tough atmosphere and things were getting more intense when they were hunting you. some random example of noises

Another audio angle we’re committed to is the introduction of nuanced ambient music, which will increase the game environment’s depth and tension.

I like that a lot! Probably many PvP players will complain about this, but I guess you will be able to turn it off with music volume slider.
But it will create a better atmosphere for everyone else during gameplay.

Other areas of focus include introducing a richer variety of wildlife

Interesting if its related to possibility of a new map coming or some old animals that were into production before and now may return? 🦊

improving our terrain tools (Terrain Builder primarily) to make the lives of our modding community easier

Another great thing, but actually confusing one. Will you focus on updating Terrain Builder or there is a chance on moving to more modern software used for Arma Reforger?

elevating survival mechanics—from extreme conditions to medical challenges—that will test your mettle and encourage players to adapt their survival strategies and manage their nutrition through an extended variety of sustenance options

That one is also exciting - is it an inspiration from modding community (e.g. Syberia Project) or completely new approach?

Last thing that comes to my mind, did you ever consider adding some mods to the vanilla base game? It is not a secret that many people who had modding background joined BI. However hiring those talented people is kinda different from adapting ready to go solutions made by community. Of course some people could say that its a little bit unfair that mod X would be implemented but mod Y not, but it would benefit the community in the end.

• Like 1

On 2/20/2024 at 10:50 PM, Kuzyn. said:

Looking forward for new updates this year.

Could you elaborate a little what does it mean exactly? I think that in the past articles you said that the dev team will follow similar pattern during 2024 as in previous years, so does it mean it's going to change?

I think that everyone already expects new DLC, probably with a new map. Console players are asking the same question regarding winter map on every social platform so I would say that expectations may possibly match with the real outcome later this year 😅

I'm wondering if you have considered doing some tiny reworks of infected sounds. I think it would be a good idea to make them a little more scary. During mod days they were more hmmn.. aggressive and violent? But not because of design or mechanics, they were just creating tough atmosphere and things were getting more intense when they were hunting you. some random example of noises

I like that a lot! Probably many PvP players will complain about this, but I guess you will be able to turn it off with music volume slider.
But it will create a better atmosphere for everyone else during gameplay.

Interesting if its related to possibility of a new map coming or some old animals that were into production before and now may return? 🦊

Another great thing, but actually confusing one. Will you focus on updating Terrain Builder or there is a chance on moving to more modern software used for Arma Reforger?

That one is also exciting - is it an inspiration from modding community (e.g. Syberia Project) or completely new approach?

Last thing that comes to my mind, did you ever consider adding some mods to the vanilla base game? It is not a secret that many people who had modding background joined BI. However hiring those talented people is kinda different from adapting ready to go solutions made by community. Of course some people could say that its a little bit unfair that mod X would be implemented but mod Y not, but it would benefit the community in the end.

Hi,

I believe that the 'similar pattern' refers to the frequency of updates per year rather than similar pattern content wise. There are high expectations from various angles, and we'll have to see what the year brings. Regardless, we hope you'll enjoy it.

The mention of a 'richer variety of wildlife' speaks for itself; let's leave it at that for now. 🙂

As for Terrain Builder and survival mechanics, to be honest, I don't have enough information on this yet. However, in response to everything that's been said, it would be best to wait for future Experimental updates. As always, we'll gather all feedback to ensure that the stable update meets your expectations. And perhaps a few teasers will come along in the meantime for those curious 🙂 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, KozazB said:

Where is the new map, new vehicles?”

Nowhere. Welcome to DayZ word.

The game does not need new map per se but rather different seasons implemented. Not biomes but full fledged seasons. Summer outside equals summer ingame, for example. It does not need more weaponry as well; When one update puts one weapon, one mod adds dozens or more. Mods should be used for that - to create additional content that is purely optional.

South Zagoria is nothing more than a backwater region of Chernarus. It needs more survival features, crafting and reinforced stealth mechanics. Stealth itself is a joke with all that arcade-like grunting, noises etc. Still no option to open doors slowly and without alerting others. And of course building, barricading... One of the few annoying things about the world in game is that it's static. Every little house looks the same. One cannot rearrange what's in them. Cannot move table or a knocked off chair out of the way. Cannot fully take the place for yourself. And there are those ridiculous security bars that were used years ago to lock doors in almost every building. Apartments for example - lost a lot of space because of that. BTW. What happened with item spawns inside apartments? Why vanilla has them deactivated? Why keeping these buildings then? No loot, partially locked away, barricading with vanilla gates looks bad - why bother?

And all this might be impossible with this mess of an engine "DayZ" is using. Or should i say two engines. Hybrid it is.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Loving 1.24 update so far! Here’s a few bugs we’ve noticed since 1.24 update:

1. Can opening animation when crouched, floats the can over and around survivor’s head like a magic trick.
  2. Inventory controls on Xbox are broken, used to be able to left or right trigger to go between vicinity items, to tents and base-building items like fences. Now using the triggers don’t work like they’re supposed to when dealing with those items, they work fine between equipped gear.
  3. Inventory UX for vicinity isn’t the correct width, so all inventory on left-side of screen menus are partially cut-off on their right-side.

There might be a couple of other things, but that’s what jumps out at me right now. The lack of being able to use my triggers to manage inventory between vicinity items, tents and base items really is annoying for my muscle memory has been established for quickly organizing items using those buttons.

-Cheers

Edited by WOLVERlNES
  • Like 1

On 2/23/2024 at 8:28 AM, nemorus said:

The game does not need new map per se but rather different seasons implemented. Not biomes but full fledged seasons. Summer outside equals summer ingame, for example. It does not need more weaponry as well; When one update puts one weapon, one mod adds dozens or more. Mods should be used for that - to create additional content that is purely optional.

South Zagoria is nothing more than a backwater region of Chernarus. It needs more survival features, crafting and reinforced stealth mechanics. Stealth itself is a joke with all that arcade-like grunting, noises etc. Still no option to open doors slowly and without alerting others. And of course building, barricading... One of the few annoying things about the world in game is that it's static. Every little house looks the same. One cannot rearrange what's in them. Cannot move table or a knocked off chair out of the way. Cannot fully take the place for yourself. And there are those ridiculous security bars that were used years ago to lock doors in almost every building. Apartments for example - lost a lot of space because of that. BTW. What happened with item spawns inside apartments? Why vanilla has them deactivated? Why keeping these buildings then? No loot, partially locked away, barricading with vanilla gates looks bad - why bother?

And all this might be impossible with this mess of an engine "DayZ" is using. Or should i say two engines. Hybrid it is.

Idk, the winter season gets old and boring really quick/just like real life. For me anyway, a portion of why I love playing the game is the beautiful scenery and views etc. In winter everything is white and dead. I played a modded server with a winter mod and the population went from 20+ everyday, to 2 people. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, boggle said:

Idk, the winter season gets old and boring really quick/just like real life. For me anyway, a portion of why I love playing the game is the beautiful scenery and views etc. In winter everything is white and dead. I played a modded server with a winter mod and the population went from 20+ everyday, to 2 people. 

Fair enough but let's remember that winter mods are abysmally simple. Autumn setting is hiding many flaws with leaves and grass and all the greenery - and what does usual winter-mod have to offer? Flat white texture to walk on, covered with white molehills. Outside of whiteness and low temperature it has nothing on real winter season. Let's bring random photos from any search engine to the table - winter can be very pretty and most importantly, very good for survival game. But it has to be done by people with right tools and access. Modders cannot do that.

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, nemorus said:

Fair enough but let's remember that winter mods are abysmally simple. Autumn setting is hiding many flaws with leaves and grass and all the greenery - and what does usual winter-mod have to offer? Flat white texture to walk on, covered with white molehills. Outside of whiteness and low temperature it has nothing on real winter season. Let's bring random photos from any search engine to the table - winter can be very pretty and most importantly, very good for survival game. But it has to be done by people with right tools and access. Modders cannot do that.

What? It depends on what server you want to play on.
It's relatively easy to make snow blizzard that hits your temp. comfort strongly. If you add to that Syberia Project mod that introduces many new diseases, then its much harder to survive.

Edited by Kuzyn.

These are all content but first of all the game needs better wrapper for it. It needs to look nice and fresh for years to come - that's the catch. Professionally made seasons are exactly that - good alternative for different maps, since possibility of getting more of Chernorus is slim at best. Like i've said modders cannot do certain things. It's beyond their reach.

10 hours ago, Janik Normann Simonsen said:

Pls, when can we have helicopters in ps5 Day Z??🙏🏼

Same as PCs i vuess never.

About copters - go to Expansion Mod. Copters ain't the part of DZ.