Azhari

Change modded descriptions

So basically what I want to know is, can I somehow get files from a modded weapon, change just like the description from the gun to something else and then repack it?

For example lets say a mod has a m200 cheytac with the item description "This is a m200" or something and I want to change it to "This is a m200, it takes .408 ammunition.

I was able to unpack the pbo's but I can't get to the item names and descriptions, I guess it's in the config.bin but I can't read it and somehow I cant convert it to cpp with the cfgconverter.

Or is there another way without even unpacking the pbo and convert the config.bin to cpp?

11 hours ago, Azhari said:

Or is there another way without even unpacking the pbo and convert the config.bin to cpp?

No way. You may try to override the definition in your mod.

Like for example:

You have mod: Awesome_M200.pbo (CfgPatches: "Awesome_M200"; class Awesome_M200 : Weapon_Base)

And you has your own mod: ModdedM200.pbo (CfgPatches: "MyModdedM200"; class MyModdedM200 : Awesome_M200).

What's the point: by that declaration you define that your MyModdedM200 has the same info, model and textures like original Awesome_M200.

But you can change the Description & Name as you wish.

Bit later I'll post the config example here to show how you can do that with comments what's where and how to apply all that stuff.

Edited by Sid Debian
Added CfgPatches referances as exmaple

11 hours ago, Azhari said:

Now as I promised. I not really know what's addon's names you're using so I'll use the same designations like I had used before.
But I shall warn you, if your source mod is binarized you can't override such references because you could not find necessary info from .cpp file!!!!
config.cpp:

Spoiler

class CfgPatches {
	class MyModdedM200_Addon {	// MyModdedM200_Addon -> culd be whatever name you preffer. BUT no special symbols & whitespaces! Like: MyModdedM200_Addon = GOOD, !MyModdedM200 Addon! = BAD
		units[] = {};
		weapons[] = {};
		requiredVersion = 0.1;
		requiredAddons[] = {"DZ_Data","DZ_Scripts","Awesome_M200"};	// use the source addon with model and etc, here we set only the link to config file with M200
	};
};
class CfgWeapons {	// Means that in this section only weapons!!!! for Magazines required another class
	class Awesome_M200;	// Intent the game load info from this reference as class instance and feture inheritage from Parent class Awesome_M200

class MyModdedM200 : Awesome_M200 {
		scope = 2;								// This means that game see and may use that class instance
		displayName = "This is my Modded M200"; // Any your's desired name
		descriptionShort = "She feeds only with .408 catriges. So let's feed her a bit :D"; // Any your's desired description
	};
};

I hope that will helps you a bit.

Thank you, I will test that. I'm new to dayz modding and stuff so I may have more questions. I'll let you know soon if I got it.

12 hours ago, Sid Debian said:

Now as I promised. I not really know what's addon's names you're using so I'll use the same designations like I had used before.
But I shall warn you, if your source mod is binarized you can't override such references because you could not find necessary info from .cpp file!!!!
config.cpp:

Reveal hidden contents

class CfgPatches {
	class MyModdedM200_Addon {	// MyModdedM200_Addon -> culd be whatever name you preffer. BUT no special symbols & whitespaces! Like: MyModdedM200_Addon = GOOD, !MyModdedM200 Addon! = BAD
		units[] = {};
		weapons[] = {};
		requiredVersion = 0.1;
		requiredAddons[] = {"DZ_Data","DZ_Scripts","Awesome_M200"};	// use the source addon with model and etc, here we set only the link to config file with M200
	};
};
class CfgWeapons {	// Means that in this section only weapons!!!! for Magazines required another class
	class Awesome_M200;	// Intent the game load info from this reference as class instance and feture inheritage from Parent class Awesome_M200

class MyModdedM200 : Awesome_M200 {
		scope = 2;								// This means that game see and may use that class instance
		displayName = "This is my Modded M200"; // Any your's desired name
		descriptionShort = "She feeds only with .408 catriges. So let's feed her a bit :D"; // Any your's desired description
	};
};

I hope that will helps you a bit.

Thank you for your help.. so I contacted the mod maker and he helped me alot. I used the wrong pbo extractor. It extracted the configs as bins and not as cpp. Mod maker showed me how to do it properly and now I got it. Thank you very much!