Popa2caps

Remove Zoom By Default.

When a feature such as zooming in every second becomes a repetitive motion, you have a gameplay issue. I suggest removing zoom from the character by default, and making users use objects to gain that function.

Example would be someone finding a scope and/ or binoculars and using that to zoom (the character also still animates the action). No automatic zooming the screen in.

• Like 1

I think zoom should stay, but it should be heavily nerfed to provide less zoom. down to like 25-30% of the current amount.

Scopes/binos should be primary way of zooming.

Completely disagree..

Zoom is needed and it is NOT a "gameplay issue", it's the solution to a real gameplay issue AKA trying to play a map of this size/foliage with the default zoom level. (Before someone comments saying "that's not why it exists" I know, what I mean is that if you removed eye focus and kept us at the default zoom level it would create a real gameplay issue, and it feels especially bad on maps this big).

We had a patch in the past where the eye focus wasn't available and it was fucking horrible. 

The devs already nerfed the zoom while sprinting which was more than enough.

Eye focus is decent but it isn't a replacement for scopes/binos, they are much stronger and have their place in the game. I take binoculars on every character and use them often.

Without eye focus you'll be stopping every 5 seconds and whipping out your scope/binos to check on every little bush or flickering pixel that catches your eye, a way worse experience than what we have now.

Edited by Jevez
Context.

If you're talking about eye zoom then no. Because most houses dont even load in properly 100m away which means anyone sniping in those windows is so much safer and harder to spot.  I do think they should make it slower abit like 0.62 before everything became super fast

Man, what a coincidence. I came here to make this suggestion. I'm happy to see another player on the same page.

This is really how the devs wanted the game to be. They wanted to remove zoom when the Beta was released, but people complained they would quit if they did. It's hard to blame them though. The thought of an essential function being bound to an item was initially not receieved well because players at the time were used to the majority of itmes being non functional, and historically items have been hard to find consistently. If they improved the functionality of binoculars and tweaked the central loot economy so players could find them more often, I think this could be a great idea. The current zoom level should be the default zoom for basic binoculars. Better binoculars could zoom in further with the scroll wheel. 

However, the devs have a track record of making their changes hard to swallow because they are implemented in incomplete and broken ways. They would really need to cut that shit out for this to work. Modded servers are still modding out night time because light sources were completely broken in the beginning of Beta so no one gave it a chance. Still to this day you can't simply turn the headtorch off without taking it off your head.  When they first released sprint it was balanced poorly. Of course everyone modded it out immediately. In order for this to be recieved well they would need to nail it the first time with no bullshit. I'm tired of the modding community just overriding everything they do. Rather, I'm tired of the devs doing what they do so poorly that the modding community has to. DayZ started out as a mod. This was supposed to be a standalone game. What was even the point if no one plays the game the way the devs intended it. 

Edit: After spending some time with the most recent build of the game I've noticed that you now can turn the headtorch off by pressing L. I have also managed to find a few modded servers that don't alter the core vanilla experience. 

Edited by Solopopo
  • Like 1

On 11/25/2023 at 5:02 AM, DefectiveWater said:

I think zoom should stay, but it should be heavily nerfed to provide less zoom. down to like 25-30% of the current amount.

Scopes/binos should be primary way of zooming.

17 hours ago, Jevez said:

Completely disagree..

Zoom is needed and it is NOT a "gameplay issue", it's the solution to a real gameplay issue AKA trying to play a map of this size/foliage with the default zoom level.

We had a patch in the past where the eye focus wasn't available and it was fucking horrible. 

The devs already nerfed the zoom while sprinting which was more than enough.

Eye focus is decent but it isn't a replacement for scopes/binos, they are much stronger and have their place in the game. I take binoculars on every character and use them often.

Without eye focus you'll be stopping every 5 seconds and whipping out your scope/binos to check on every little bush or flickering pixel that catches your eye, a way worse experience than what we have now.

11 hours ago, SleeperZ said:

If you're talking about eye zoom then no. Because most houses dont even load in properly 100m away which means anyone sniping in those windows is so much safer and harder to spot.  I do think they should make it slower abit like 0.62 before everything became super fast

10 hours ago, Solopopo said:

Man, what a coincidence. I came here to make this suggestion. I'm happy to see another player on the same page.

This is really how the devs wanted the game to be. They wanted to remove zoom when the Beta was released, but people complained they would quit if they did. It's hard to blame them though. The thought of an essential function being bound to an item was initially not receieved well because players at the time were used to the majority of itmes being non functional, and historically items have been hard to find consistently. If they improved the functionality of binoculars and tweaked the central loot economy so players could find them more often, I think this could be a great idea. The current zoom level should be the default zoom for basic binoculars. Better binoculars could zoom in further with the scroll wheel. 

However, the devs have a track record of making their changes hard to swallow because they are implemented in incomplete and broken ways. They would really need to cut that shit out for this to work. Modded servers are still modding out night time because light sources were completely broken in the beginning of Beta so no one gave it a chance. Still to this day you can't simply turn the headtorch off without taking it off your head.  When they first released sprint it was balanced poorly. Of course everyone modded it out immediately. In order for this to be recieved well they would need to nail it the first time with no bullshit. I'm tired of the modding community just overriding everything they do. Rather, I'm tired of the devs doing what they do so poorly that the modding community has to. DayZ started out as a mod. This was supposed to be a standalone game. What was even the point if no one plays the game the way the devs intended it. 

I don't think much will change in DayZ. I would be thinking the majority would be working on the successor at this point. So my post is more towards the next title (just a little secretly).

Get more people behind the idea.
Get the developers attention.
Next game doesn't have magic powers.
W̶o̶r̶l̶d̶ DayZ domination.

The ability to zoom in with your naked eye is absolutely retarded. It definitely needs to be removed. If you want to see better, get binoculars or a scope, period.

1 hour ago, Sean_87__ said:

The ability to zoom in with your naked eye is absolutely retarded. It definitely needs to be removed. If you want to see better, get binoculars or a scope, period.

you forgot about the part where the building dont load in past 100 metres and anyone in a window isnt rendered in and only can be seen via zooming in

22 hours ago, SleeperZ said:

you forgot about the part where the building dont load in past 100 metres and anyone in a window isnt rendered in and only can be seen via zooming in

do you think you would see someone tucked away in a house window at 100m in real life?

and another question. even if the zoom stays the same and you can zoom into to see the window. when you aim down sights with say a mosin without a scope you still wouldnt be able to render in the window without a scope. so its pointless.

i am usually a big proponent of realism. especially in this game. and it indeed would be realistic to take out zoom entirely. this doesnt happen in real life to any degree. go look down your neighborhood road and squint and see if your sight zooms in.

HOWEVER. i think there is different grounds to keep the system in to "some" degree. although i think it should be a HEAVILY neutered state to where the normal is at the same level if not less than what it does when sprinting. which i think the sprint zoom level is actually more authentic than anything else and should be the standard.

but like i was saying. i think the reason to keep it in the game AT AN ARRESTED STATE is because... its fun. it gives people something to do and something to fidget with when running from place to place. and is even cool to some degree when you are on top of a castle like say ZUB and squint and look around at the surroundings.

i do think it should be HEAVILY scaled back to where binoc's and handheld scopes and such can take this role which would be amazing to see. BUT when i think about the game without it entirely where my eyes cant move at all I can see myself getting very bored especially in those runs through the woods when i like to be distracted by SOMETHING. like zooming in on the ground or the trees or the sky. it keeps me engaged in the world and constantly scanning my surroundings. but if it was gone ENTIRELY i could see myself getting very bored in those activities that are naturally boring.