boggle

BI never ceases to amaze me

Just as I was getting back into the game over the last year since I dumped it due to the changes and loss of content and features with the new engine, they go and dick with the player controller again. 

I've never played a game that fucks with such critical parts of a game, over so many years. It's unplayable now due to the inertia of turning and strafing. It's as clunky as playing an FPS on console. 

Been playing since 2014 but this is the nail in the coffin. I don't have time anymore to relearn the controls for this game. So sad, because this game had so much potential. Why are they even dicking with stuff like this at this stage? 

Bye, it's been a good run (lol)

To be honest, it felt weird to me too when I first tried it on experimental - even to the point of causing me nausea, but it feels natural now to me. DayZ should have had movement inertia since the beginning.

1 hour ago, DefectiveWater said:

To be honest, it felt weird to me too when I first tried it on experimental - even to the point of causing me nausea, but it feels natural now to me. DayZ should have had movement inertia since the beginning.

Yup but it shouldnt have Rainbow6 gunplay, doesnt make sense

1 hour ago, DefectiveWater said:

Maybe that's the case, but they should quit making changes of such magnitude, at this stage in the game. If they don't know where to spend resources, they could look at fixing cars (JK that's never going to happen). This is another reason why I think the stamina system was dumb to implement until there were reliable vehicles. 

Maybe I should just fire up the DayZ mod instead. I think it would feel more pure at this point. 

• Beans 1

You don’t have to use the new control scheme, I don’t. 

I’ve been using the old controls so long, the muscle memory is there.

Just go to options and set to old control scheme and viola.

13 hours ago, WOLVERlNES said:

You don’t have to use the new control scheme, I don’t. 

I’ve been using the old controls so long, the muscle memory is there.

Just go to options and set to old control scheme and viola.

What? It's not really the control scheme, it's the physics of inertia in game that causes the delay when turning or strafing. 

6 minutes ago, boggle said:

What? It's not really the control scheme, it's the physics of inertia in game that causes the delay when turning or strafing. 

Inertia has been a great addition. Think about carrying 20 kilos in your backpack plus a weapon in your hands and some other weight added from other parts of clothing and gear, let me know if you think you should move as arcade as before the inertia update. I don't think there is anything wrong with this system, the opposite, it's one of the best features of the game that perfectly fits and enriches it

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 5/6/2023 at 12:59 PM, boggle said:

I've never played a game that fucks with such critical parts of a game, over so many years.

This part is true. It doesn’t really appear as if balancing will ever happen. Core systems and mechanics are upended over and over. Inertia is a great thing for Dayz. But this is a huge fundamental change.

Go with what you have at official launch and then just fine tune the game until it works well. That’s the logical process, you’d think. 

• Like 1
  • Beans 1

2 hours ago, Parazight said:

Inertia is a great thing for Dayz. But this is a huge fundamental change.

DayZ is a survival game at its core, adapt and survive.

• Sad 1

On 5/7/2023 at 12:33 PM, boggle said:

Maybe that's the case, but they should quit making changes of such magnitude, at this stage in the game. If they don't know where to spend resources, they could look at fixing cars (JK that's never going to happen). This is another reason why I think the stamina system was dumb to implement until there were reliable vehicles. 

Maybe I should just fire up the DayZ mod instead. I think it would feel more pure at this point. 

I don't think they should quit making core changes like that (game does need them), but this is something they should have done much sooner. Movement, vehicles, general physics, health system, melee/gun mechanics... those are core features. Those should be done as early as possible and they set the direction and feel of the game.

Although, I would rather have core updates late than never having them updated.

Are you talking about the same mechanics that, when you're full of equipment, you can't even climb over a wall or get on the flatbed of a wagon? THIS is ARCADE! A limitation that doesn't actually exist. In reality, all the carriages have ladders, where IN REALITY a person goes up even with a backpack full of equipment. In DayZ this is not foreseen (even other scales are not usable, unfortunately in the face of realism: DO NOT bring up "realism" or I will fill the forum with NOT realistic DayZ things), and as for all videogames (they DO NOT exist " simulators" in videogames: not even ArmA really is... it's simply a very, very complex FPS), with some "poetic license" the shortcomings of the game are compensated for. In these cases, it should at least be possible to jump onto the flatbeds of the wagons. Which is NOT possible in DayZ.
Obviously the modded servers, if you don't exaggerate, are certainly the most realistic. And with the stamina settings you don't even need to use mods, but you can "fit" the character with slightly more "natural" settings as a global effect. Obviously this won't be "perfection"... but what is "perfect" about DayZ? NOTHING !
Moreover, in REALITY, after using backpacks full of equipment for a while (it's called training), you don't feel them so "heavy" and you can do things that you couldn't do when just loaded. If someone does sports, he knows what I'm talking about, I hope the Google translations are not so crap.
Rather: if the stamina has to be so limited, why not implement a system that "adapts" the stamina after a certain amount of time carrying a lot of weight? Exactly to calculate the training and the "natural" muscle development?
Failing that, it seems more "natural" to me NOT to drastically limit stamina or movement possibilities with low stamina.
If you want to make a "complex" game, make it right, or leave it as "any arcade". Otherwise it just becomes a "bad hitch".
I still think the real fortune of this game is the personal servers (where you have control over these mechanics) and the use of mods.
If, on the other hand, I misunderstood, sorry, but Google translations suck...

2 hours ago, WOLVERlNES said:

DayZ is a survival game at its core, adapt and survive.

I would be fine either way. I’m not seeing fine tuning and balancing. We’re seeing huge changes to the game years after official release.  Then some fine tuning, then more catastrophic changes. 

Look at the vehicle simulation/net code setup. Never worked great. They made adjustments for like, two years, then imported a brand new simulator years after release. What waste. 

• Beans 1

I think vehicles are definitely better than they were years ago, are they perfect no — but a heck of a lot better tho.

We can actually drive up hills and in the grass, we can drive 100kmh, we can honk a bloody horn, we can repair engines, tires and body panels.

A few years ago, none of that was possible. You’d look at a car and it flew through the air killing survivors. Trying to drive up even the slightest grade hill, especially off-road was a nightmare. And we couldn’t repair damaged parts.