Zesty59

Corrupted storage?

I run a small dedicated server for a few friends, today I updated the expansion mods and it seems to have corrupted our data. The issue is that when loading in our base the server FPS tanks to 1 and it becomes unplayable, it also doesnt seem to save anything past this point. Otherwise the server starts and is joinable as usual. Is there anyway to recover a corrupted save or is this just a case of starting over? There was no issue yesterday before updating the mods. I've been over and made sure all the mods are updated correctly and now im out of ideas.

I don't know how the "Expansion" mod works, but surely all the persistence data of your server can be found in "missions/dayzOffline.chernarusplus/storage_1". If you backed up that folder (it should be done cyclically and saved carefully) you still have the option to restore everything. Otherwise I'm afraid you have lost everything. However "Expansion" should have its own Discord channel. Before you give up on everything, try asking there. Wishes

Thanks for the reply, I do usually backup our storage when mods update but this time I forgot so that's my bad. What's strange is theres no mention of corrupted data in any of the logs which I thought there would have to be if it is the data was corrupted. I did also ask on the expansion discord but so far no one seems to know whats caused this.

• Beans 1

Well, if you have some old backups it's always better than nothing... then it depends on how much you've "built" on the server. If you run only as a "lone survivor" you won't have lost much, if you like building large and complex bases, the kind you spend whole days building "fence mazes"... an old backup is always better than nothing. And "generally" (for mods that I know of, at least) it's not a big deal to change one "hive" to another. At worst, you reset everything and start over, like you're afraid you'll have to do. Try deleting, redownload and reinstalling "Expansion" (perhaps a corrupted download of the mod), see first if it works and if it works make a backup of all the mission folder. Then try to restore the old backup of "storage_1" and see if it works and what you were able to recover. It will waste some time, but if you are interested in recovering the previous state, I think it is the only way.
Wishes again 🙂

P.S.

However, from what I've read, "Expansion" is a complex and quite "mangy" mod. If you don't need it for something specific that you can't find elsewhere, it's still better to use other mods. It may also have its own "archiving" system (like when you install CF, which is needed for many other mods, including admin mods). In that case there would be nothing to do, but I don't use that mod, so mine is just a hypothesis. However, if you have it installed for helicopters, there are other mods that do it... and now there's also a really good mod (much better than Expansion) for boats. These really float, they are not repainted cars that "cut the waves". Actually, from what I've read around, if you can avoid "Expansion" using other mods, do it.

Edited by Riddick_2K

I've been running DayZ servers since you could ONLY get them through 3rd party services and I can tell you as I was an early adopter of expansion that it is truly an overbloated mod. I stopped using it years ago for the bettrer. Most servers don't really need half of the  features expansions offers and while you can just turn most of them off, THEY STILL USE SOME SERVER RESOURCES.  Turning any mod off is not good enough, you must remove it from being loaded... PERIOD.  You can't really do that with Expansion.  Expansion really is the worst thing you can run on a server UNLESS you have a12th Generation CPU with a bunch of memory and don't care that you will have to limit the number of players to around 40 or 50.

I run an 11th Gen with 32 GB of memory and I wouldn't even think about running expansion.  If you are VERY careful in your mod selection and do all the research necessary, YOU can do exactly what you want without having the ill effects expansion brings.  But the number one problem with expansion is not resources, it's how often it causes problems with other mods.  Expansion is notorious for other mods not working, whether they be weapon or otherwise.  Expansion can and will often interfere with other mods.  I've seen server owners and admins try for weeks to get the expansion team and other mod creators together to fix issues to no avail.  9 times out of 10 Expansion team will tell you, that the other mod author needs to fix their stuff because the expansion team doesn't want to make changes.  There are many great mod authors that refuse to make changes to their mods to cave to the demands of the Expansion team for reasons I won't get into here but the bottom line is I would stay away from Expansion at all costs.  It's much better to roll your own and research and be very cautious about the mods you use.  And always, ALWAYS, ALWAYS use a test server with all the mods you have.  Do not just willy, nilly throw it up on a production server.  That's asking for trouble.  my .02

I'm sure there will be server admins that disagree with me and that is fine, and I'm sure the Expansion team would not care for my opinion.  At this stage in the game, IDGAF, and it's time for the community to stop accepting the status quo from ham-fisted poor quality and over bloated mods that hurt performance jsut to get a nifty widget for players that maybe only a handful actually care about.

Edited by THEGordonFreeman
  • Thanks 1