RALEBB

Console - Why aiming feels so bad, and how to fix it.

Radial deadzone. In Console DayZ's current state, there is an axial deadzone. For those that don't know what that means, in 1pp/3pp games there is a deadzone. The deadzone is the area of the analog stick where it doesn't pick up any input, so when you move the stick ever so slightly nothing happens. Having an axial deadzone means that the shape of the deadzone is a square. 

Have you ever tried lining up a headshot in this game, but when you tried making those subtle movements, nothing happens— but all of a sudden your sight flies past the player? Thats because of the axial deadzone. You can't make those subtle movements because there are 4 corners of nothing that stop your aim.

Anyone who has played this game and other 1pp/3pp games notices how bad and janky the aim is. The devs tried to fix it in a recent update by giving us the option to adjust the response curve, and while that was a helpful update, it didn't address the core problem with the outdated aiming system. And to be honest, I think it's because the devs don't know. Which makes sense, seeing as it's such a small team. Overall I enjoy the console port, but this issue should be so easy to fix, and I think everyone would overall have a better experience if the deadzone's were circular.

Having the option to adjust deadzones would be a nice qol improvement as well, but really all we need is to get rid of the outdated deadzone system.

• Like 3

I agree 100 percent. It’s really frustrating not being able to make minor aim corrections with out the crosshair or iron sights moving too far. It gives the feeling like the lowest aim setting is still way to high. 

Dead-zone adjustment options along with seperate over the shoulder and ADS sensitivities, heck for that matter seperate gun sensitivity adjustment would be amazing!

Would also love to be able to change stance to southpaw since this is my irl stance and the opposite is uncomfortable.

The aim strain when you still have stamina makes no sense to me either.

i seem to recall if i held lean left while aiming and then stopped aiming my stance would stay southpaw... used to annoy the crap out of me... so you saying this no longer happens? Nice.

Edited by lemmac