Sign in to follow this  
Kathosky

DayZ needs the old skybox/clouds come back

Dear developers, I know you have said that old skybox/clouds most likely won't come back, but please, it is such a huge aspect of the immersion that it is completely necessary for DayZ. If the old system has issues/does not work properly, make a new one, please. People are asking for it since it was removed @Derleth, DOJ, MikeDocherty and others.

When I started playing just before 1.0 released, I felt in love with the immersion, and possibly the old skybox had much to do with it. Unfortunately at that time I didn't take any screenshots, so I cannot see how I saw the sky, but I believe that it was still there. Someone confirms this, but the actual plain boring and outdated skybox was introduced somewhere around 1.02 or 1.03. BTW right now the night sky is horrendous, it is pixelated, plain, purple and looks like from year 2000 in Operation Flashpoint Cold War Crisis (good game BTW).

Come on devs, I love the game, my favorite of all time, it is what I always wanted since a kid, and you are doing a great job but the old sky/whether/clouds need to return (a new coded one if the old one cannot be fixed).

• Thanks 1

Indeed, the volumetric clouds were still in the game through 0.63 experimental and 1.0 release. It was not until the 1.02 patch that they were removed. The reason was apparently client side performance issues leading to extensive weather desync issues. In a group of five players everyone could be seeing different weather - while the actual weather on the server was something else still... At that time (1.02) DayZ had way more serious issues than weather sync, so the decision was a sensible one. Now that the game is in a much better place, it is about time to look into a way to return volumetric clouds. It makes an enormous difference to the atmosphere and lighting.

All of the below screenshots are from 0.63 exp or 1.0-1.01. So there is nothing in the engine stopping this from happening, it's just the will to overcome the performance and desync issues. My tinfoil hat says the old gen consoles are to blame...

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you, Derleth, for the insight and screenshots. I like your point and I understand that in 1.02 there were bigger issues to arrange than the weather and now is a better moment than then. We can only hope, but if it gets worked and gets something close to what we see in the screenshots it would be a huge change to immersion in DayZ, I believe it is necessary in this game. We will see.

• Like 1

I return to this post since finally we are getting an improvement in the skybox, and night one too!

I think the new skybox is close in terms of immersion to the old one. Even look as volumetric clouds, and I hope that devs can add a bit more variety in skies in future updates. I am happy! Thank you developers

Although it would be nice if sky was not spinning around the character/map, anywhere you look sky and clouds always go from left to right.

• Like 1