Ceseuron

Server performance and tick rate.

I'm hosting a private server for a few friends to goof off on. At most, there's probably a dozen of us playing, as the server is intended to be private for our personal enjoyment. I initially started hosting it on my VMware host but performance was bad. Reading around online, I found that running ARMA based games on VM hosts usually doesn't work out well, so I dug through all my hardware laying around and built a server specifically to run DayZ. Specs are: 

CPU: Core i7-6950X
RAM: 32GB DDR4
Disk: 1TB M.2 PCIe SSD
Network Card: Intel Pro/1000PT dual port adapter

Yes, I know the OS is old. No, I'm not "upgrading" to a newer edition of Microsoft's clusterf*** of a server operating system and 2012R2 is the only OS I have a license for from my MSDN days. If I could get DayZ SA to run on Linux without being forced to use some cheese "experimental" branch of DayZ, I would.

I'm having a range of issues and all my research either points to server configuration settings that do nothing to improve the situation, or have no meaningful effect on the problem. Issues thus far are:

1.  Wildly fluctuating tick rate on the server. At idle, with zero players, the server will sit at 4500 FPS but tank regularly to below 2000. I've seen people showing logs of tick rates well into 10K+. 
  2. Server tick rate dramatically lowers once everyone is online and playing. I'll see below 2K and it will routinely tank even further when people's clients crash.
  3.  Players in game will desync when someone loads into the server or when someone's client crashes. This results in vehicles rubber-banding and flipping out all over the place.
  4.  Players get kicked with some nonsense about an "unstable" connection but I have fiber internet at 1000Mbps synchronous (meaning both upload and download are the same speed). I've even been kicked with this message and I'm on the same gigabit hardwired LAN as the server. I've somewhat eliminated this by setting "maxPing" to some obscenely high setting and setting the "speedhackDetection" to 10.
  5. Among my startup options, I'm setting "cpuCount" to 20 but it doesn't have any effect on how much CPU resources DayZ will take. Nor does any of the changes I make in "dayzsettings.xml" seem to have any effect. The DayZ server application still uses just one core, which I'm more attributing to lazy development choices and bad application design than anything else.

The current mod list:

1. Expansion
  2. Expansion AI
  3. Expansion Animations
  4. Expansion Basebuilding
  5. Expansion Book
  6. Expansion Chat
  7. Expansion Core
  8. Expansion Groups
  9. Expansion Licensed
  10. Expansion-Map-Assets
  11. Expansion-Market
  12. Expansion-Missions
  13. Expansion-Name-Tags
  14. Expansion-Vehicles
  15. Expansion-Weapons
  16. Disease Injectors
  17. Garbage Search
  18. Gerphelius Zil-130
  19. CarCover
  20. More Food
  21. Mass'sManyItemOverhaul
  22. SurvivorMissions
  23. Unlimited Stamina
  24. Community Online Tools
  25. ZomBerry Admin Tools
  26. AdditionalMedicSupplies
  27. AirdropUpgraded
  28. BuilderItems
  29. BulletStacksPlusPlusEnhanced
  30. Community Framework
  31. Dabs Framework
  32. GoreZ
  33. NatureOverhaul
  34. SkyZ - Skybox Overhaul
  35. No Vehicle Damage
  36. JunkYardDog

Sorry for the wall of text, but if anyone has managed to get this far and knows some other ideas for getting DayZ server to actually run with a modicum of speed, I'd really appreciate the assistance.

- Signed: One FRUSTRATED DayZ server admin.

• Like 1
  • Beans 1

Getting information of what specs are needed to run a DayZ server seems to be a classified subject.

I am running basically the same mod list as yourself and I get around 8000fps at idle (0 Players)
I get around 15000fps for just a raw vanilla server with 0 players

CPU: Core i7-8700
RAM: 32GB DDR4
Disk: 500GB M.2 PCIe SSD
Network Card: Intel Pro/1000

Your Mods 1 - 15 will consume most of  your cpu time. Reducing some of the Expansion mods you don't really need will help
21. Mass'sManyItemOvehaul seems to be a little outdated and throws errors on my server which may be causing some cpu lag but Im not sure

Have you added multithreadedReplication = 1; to your serverDZ.cfg?

Edited by Kym Haniford

I have an event server. These are my specs

soft  - Intel win 10                                                                             - You dont need win server unless you are running multiple VM

CPU - i7 8086K  min 4GHz max (single core) 5GHz                   - DayZ is a single core game, So you need a CPU with a fast CPU speed. It may be win 11 with its Perforemance CPu & economy CPU

with tasks scheduling to specific CPUs, will improve this. I dont have a win 11.

RAM - 16 GB DDR4 3200MHz                                                        - fasterlower latency ram is better

storage - M2 970 pro                                                                      - faster is better

Intel Gigabit ethernet

On 5/4/2022 at 10:21 PM, Ceseuron said:
  1.  Wildly fluctuating tick rate on the server. At idle, with zero players, the server will sit at 4500 FPS but tank regularly to below 2000. I've seen people showing logs of tick rates well into 10K+. 
  2. Server tick rate dramatically lowers once everyone is online and playing. I'll see below 2K and it will routinely tank even further when people's clients crash.
  3.  Players in game will desync when someone loads into the server or when someone's client crashes. This results in vehicles rubber-banding and flipping out all over the place.
  4.  Players get kicked with some nonsense about an "unstable" connection but I have fiber internet at 1000Mbps synchronous (meaning both upload and download are the same speed). I've even been kicked with this message and I'm on the same gigabit hardwired LAN as the server. I've somewhat eliminated this by setting "maxPing" to some obscenely high setting and setting the "speedhackDetection" to 10.
  5. Among my startup options, I'm setting "cpuCount" to 20 but it doesn't have any effect on how much CPU resources DayZ will take. Nor does any of the changes I make in "dayzsettings.xml" seem to have any effect. The DayZ server application still uses just one core, which I'm more attributing to lazy development choices and bad application design

1 - happens, see attached performance curves. more mods/events makes it worse

2 - see curve

3 - more dependent on peoples ping (in my opinion)

4 - Happens, even for me, & the server is sitting in front of me

5 - DayZ is a single core game

54 minutes ago, Kym Haniford said:

Getting information of what specs are needed to run a DayZ server seems to be a classified subject.

maybe just a bit arcane

This is my 8086 server performance. (lightly modded)

unknown.png?width=743&height=492

Orange line is average of my i7 6700k. Over 30 players was getting problematic. More mods got problematic

Grey line is an extrapolated expectation of the performance uplift for when I moved to the i7 8086

Blue line is actual performance. Note the framerate fluctuation. Interestingly, my prediction didnt quite fit.

The framerate dropping to zero is only during server start up. Once up & running, it is up around 10K - 12K

But I had no issues with this & no issues were highlighted to me or seen. A large number of streamers were also streaming, so I could see the "playability".

Moving up to an 19 12900K would improve this further

zZcoxLt.png

This is my i7 6700k. Note the frame rates approaching 0 as the players increased. This was causing problems. Observed through streamers outputs

l8kZtIX.png

As long as the framerate doesnt go below 100fps on the server, things generally seemed ok ..  . but more mods & cars, doesnt help

1 hour ago, Kym Haniford said:

Have you added multithreadedReplication = 1; to your serverDZ.cfg?

never saw any benefit from this

Hope this helps

• Thanks 1

Hey Ceseuron,

first remove unnecessary mods like:

23. Unlimited Stamina   (<-- is in DayZ-Expansion look in GeneralSettings)
27. AirdropUpgraded     (<- DayZ-Expansion has a Airdrop)
28. BuilderItems             (<- DayZ-Expansion has BuilderItems  internal)
35. No Vehicle Damage (<- is in DayZ-Expansion look in VehicleSettings)

The DayZ-Expansion-AI is so awesome what LAVA made from the "old" eAI, but it needs a lot of computing power.

The DayZ-Expansion Wiki:

https://github.com/salutesh/DayZ-Expansion-Scripts/wiki

regards
NATION

Gonna necro tf out this thread
I can tell you right now, Expansion mod is your problem.
You are better off compiling a list of mods that have the same functions, even as many as 100 mods
Running them all you would still have 2-3x the server fps/ticks vs running expansion in its entirety, with no other mods.

Edited by Steve Thomas
  • Beans 2

Expansion is 100% not the problem, but the AI mod depends on the AIs you spawn consumes all the FPS. l did some tests with Expansion mods and alternative mods with same features and there is zero difference in FPS.  completely logical the mods do the same and are programmed almost identically.

I replied to this thread yesterday morning and, for a link to "Steam Community", it is still hidden... How long does it take to verify that a link to "Steam Community" is NOT a "dangerous" link?!? 😮

Since nobody checks the link, I try again this way. Typically "DayZ", game and forum...

==========================================================================

To give an exact evaluation you should also have the server configuration files. As rightly said DayZ, even if with the possibility of being configured in multi-thread, still uses ONLY ONE core. What crashes the game is anything that consumes CPU cycles. AI in the first place, if you abuse it. In my experience the vehicles, if they are stationary (parked) do not change almost anything.
I have my server on an AMD Ryzen 7 2700X (great for multi-thread but NOT so much for single thread), Mb ASUS B450-Plus Prime, Ram Crucial Ballistix BL2K8G30C15U4B 3000 MHz 8GBx4 and HD Crucial BX500 240 Gb CT240BX500SSD1. No OS from "server", but my old "trusted" W7x64.
At idle, with DayZ vanilla I was on 14.000 FPS. Then I started putting on Mod's. Obviously I started with CF and the admin ones. Only when I added the "V++" did the FPS drop to 10.000. Then I added other Mod's (I can post the list if needed). Now, in idle they are on 9/8000, if I enter I go to 6/5.000, if another person enters, it drops to 5/4.000 FPS. I have never tested other people. I increased the number of animals, I slightly increased the number of "static" infected and a bit that of the "dynamic" infected... I have the spawn of vanilla vehicles, in greater numbers, scattered around the map (I do NOT like the trader "shopping center" style, I don't consider it a "real DayZ"). I tried to increase the number of vehicles a lot, but as long as they stay still, nothing (or almost) changes for me. I have all the necessary settings for multi-threading (if needed I can list which ones) and from the MSI-Afterburner graphs I see that DayZ always and only uses one core... that one is almost 100%, the others are "sleeping".
If needed I can post some example logs and SS.
Sometimes, however, it happens to me that the server starts up and idles with 3/4.000 FPS, sometimes even 2.000... and I never understood why since I haven't even changed important game settings.
I've never tried with many people because this has always remained "personal" (when I tried I was unable to enable all the ports to the outside and I could only let people in via direct access with IP).
I recently (still a construction site) rented a server on Nitrado, but its FPS is limited up to around 96/97 FPS... whatever I change, it always stays on that value, and this doesn't make it clear what it changes, just hope it never goes under.
I think you've all already seen (those who have a server and who also use the Editor), that sometimes, during server restarts, pieces of structures put with the Editor are missing, and you need to restart to get them back.
And if I'm not mistaken, I also must have read somewhere about someone having DayZ that used more than one core on him.
And to add...
To you, is the brightness of the game always good ? Do you always see as clearly as it should?
I do not! And I understood it very late and only by pure chance... read this, always me with another nik, without lengthen the text: (H T T P) steamcommunity (com) /app/221100/discussions/0/4943253385013944762/

Before with a GTX 1060 and driver 431.60 the defect made me 1 time out of 6/7 that I entered. Now I have changed with an RTX3060 and put the 474.11 drivers and this defect always makes me. Every time I go in I have contrast shot and brightness stuck at zero and I have to do the procedure described in the link to get the game back to smooth viewing.

Also this is "DayZ"... 😛
I guess that's the "usual" problem: DayZ is a very buggy game. And the flaws are not always the same for everyone. Some are for everyone, some others... at someone make defect, some don't.
Sure that DayZ is a good "Pandora's Box"...
I don't know if what I wrote can be of any help to you, I hope at least it's a consolation that it's a problem for many and not just yours...
Excellent advice that the best CPU for DayZ is the one with the greatest computing power for ONLY ONE core. Because this is actually the situation.
And... be careful not to overdo the AI, events and the MOD's you add (some consume CPU even if it doesn't seem like it, hoping they are at least done well).
😉

=============================================================================

• Like 2