Sign in to follow this  
alkaline (DayZ)

spawning with weapons

if realism is truly the key to this game then tell me who would ever leave their home in a zombie apocalypse without some means to defend themselves? new characters should spawn with a melee weapon like the hatchet or crowbar, hell you could add new things like a baseball bat and keep the same weapon stats just use a new skin. some other ones could be lead pipe, police baton, combat knife, golf club.

You were knocked unconscious on a (motherfucking) boat and woke up on a beach having dropped your baseball bat/hatchet/crowbar/lead pipe/police baton/combat knife/golf club/etc

There, it's realistic once again

No spawning with weapons kthx

Ummm.....no. The only thing you could perhaps spawn with is a watch. I dont know about you but i dont carry bandages, makarovs or baseball bats with me.

You are assuming we knew about the apocalypse, maybe we dont and have just woken up on a beach....every good zombie flick starts with the lead guy/girl not knowing what the hell happened.

You were knocked unconscious on a (motherfucking) boat and woke up on a beach having dropped your baseball bat/hatchet/crowbar/lead pipe/police baton/combat knife/golf club/etc

There' date=' it's realistic once again

[/quote']

I really hate how every suggestion has to be realistic to the very last detail.

getting knocked out on a boat and placed on a beach or just waking up on the beach and having a zombie apocalypse start during the time you were asleep/unconcious is far more unrealistic than a person leaving there home to find safety somewhere else with a backpack some bandages etc. and a weapon.

If you were sleeping/unconcious on a beach for long enough for your country to be overtaken by a zombie apocalypse and your military and civilization utterly destroyed its likely you would have died from dehydration, been eating by zombies or animals, and if someone were to just leave you there as opposed to killing you and tossing you in the water, there is no way they would leave you a backpack with things in it.

No, thank you. I feel that the lack of spawning weapons was a step in the right direction. Throws you into the deep end.

Also, realism is not the key to this game. Authenticity is, according to Rocket.

I prefer start with a morphine injector instead of a weapon.

A basic weapon could be find in few time, also that learn how to sneak and deal with zombie.

you are a damn civilian! you dont have any weapon. thats to realism -.-

Once again, OP isn't asking for realism, asking for it to be easy as he is obvioulsy not very good. It takes 5 minutes to get a weapon of some sort.

I've never used a melee weapon, and don't really plan to either.

Just learn the game, learn how to sneak and survive.

i have a baseball bat, crowbar, and axe all int my garage as im sure many people have to, and as far as gameplay wise melee weapons arent a long haul item, they wont help you in a big city, but they will help new players get out of a city or away from populated areas until they get better at dodging zombies or get a gun.

After reading this topic I've changed my stance on not starting with a weapon. You should start with a weapon. I'd prefer it be a stick (with leaves attached that sway in the wind) that does approximately 1/4 the damage of the crowbar.

After reading this topic I've changed my stance on not starting with a weapon. You should start with a weapon. I'd prefer it be a stick (with leaves attached that sway in the wind) that does approximately 1/4 the damage of the crowbar.

Haha' date=' good one!

I'd even be for much less weapons than currently are available, maybe remove some of the high tech weapons with NV / IR scopes as well as the silenced weapons. As this is being a sandbox game, I think the range of weapons should be much more limited to not make players focus too much on them.

If you look at GTA for example, there are not many weapons in the game, just some different types for each "category" of weapons.

Is not helpfull to start with a weapon, you ll try to fight instead of avoid the zombies, then you ll die, or worst be bone crushed...

Starting with a morphine will be more usefull.

i have a baseball bat' date=' crowbar, and axe all int my garage as im sure many people have to,

[/quote']

and the first thing you grab when you get evecuated is your crowbar, baseball-bat because you want to fight zombies? I think evryone would hope to get away and never see a zombie from a mile... so no one would grab any kind of melee-weapon. and to the pistols: the normal guy in europe do not have a pistol in his pocket / home

The backstory of Day Z that i have in my mind is something like a mass evacuation,military law in charge,government giving few to none information about what is happening.

When i spawn with no equipment,i think about one random guy who ran out of fuel for his car and just tries his luck with what he has in his car's first aid kit.

I really wouldn't think of a guy who is aware of the SHTF situation and gets everything he cans!

Been there done that.

Spawning with gun is unnecessary

Spawning with Hatchet is OP

Spawning with another melee weapon is Useless (opinion)

Melee weapon skins? I'd sooner have more player skins.

Yet, nearly every farmer's barn has some kind of gun in it.

Man, if all those farmers had formed a farmer army maybe Chernarus could have been saved.

again: i am german and for my part: i dont know ANY person in my surrounding which has a weopan despite of a crowbar in the garage. And my cousin is living outside of the city. so i don't consider it realistic to start with a weapon of any kind but a crowbar... and that is useless...

again: i am german and for my part: i dont know ANY person in my surrounding which has a weopan despite of a crowbar in the garage. And my cousin is living outside of the city. so i don't consider it realistic to start with a weapon of any kind but a crowbar... and that is useless...

Come to the states and visit the south and mid west. Your experience with civilians owning guns will change quickly.

My personal feelings as an experienced player is that, I don't need to start off with a gun. I know exactly where to go to find them, and how to keep myself safe until I find one.

As a new player my friend had far worse growing pains than I, and begged for a weapon.

but this game is not playced in the states so please consider that you are nobody from the states in that game!

There' date=' it's realistic once again

[/quote']

I really hate how every suggestion has to be realistic to the very last detail.

I think the allure of the mod is that it's on a realistic warfare simulator, but with a hypothetical twist of a zombie apocalypse. Let's be honest, some people would be more prepared than others. Here's where I also dislike "realistic" because this sometimes can't go hand in hand with gameplay or limitations. We just have to put up with people that think saying "realistic" makes it realistic and therefor should be implemented.

The best course of action? -1 these stupid idea's one a time.

Edit: Throwing in my opinion on why it's stupid...

So, we see threads on End Game and what to do when you get there but, what is end game? Do you gain some types of skill or end up in a zone? Like most other games, no. You have no specific sets of skills that are better than others, what you do have is a progression system completely based on the equipment you have and how long you survive to keep it and reign in more.

So why start with a pistol? The point of the current progression system is that you start with nothing (or as little to nothing as possible) and work your way up to being self sufficient. You have all the blood, morphine and epi-pens you could ever need. You have 3/4 weapons and a seemingly endless supply of ammo if you remain in the wilderness. Maybe a vehicle? Maybe a large group of friends? Maybe that one can of Mountain Dew that still evades me to this day...

Also, the most valuable thing in this game? Team work. Starting without the ability to shoot someone else or hack them to pieces is a good way to start people working together as they're in the same situation. They each have nothing and have everything to gain. Whilst when spawning with a pistol, I used to find myself in gun fights on my way to starting cities because someone wanted more magazines or some of the other crappy starting equipment.

Well if there is a Day Z in Switzerland it will be fun for everyone but the Zombies, that good SIG 550 or P220 will take care of them :-D

Anyway - the less weapons available, the more survivors seem to try to cooperate. I've heard a few stories of people spawning or meeting each other unarmed and banding together for a while.

At the moment everyone is so hot for getting a big fat gun and then they have this gun and want to put it to use, preferably against other players instead of the infected. Somehow the CoD switch gets turned on as soon as they have a rifle in their hands.

What if you would get a welding kit or a mechanics toolbox that you could only equip as primary? (like the hatchet). Then people would start to look for stuff to repair and others to protect them -> more bonding.

Well if there is a Day Z in Switzerland it will be fun for everyone but the Zombies' date=' that good SIG 550 or P220 will take care of them :-D

Anyway - the less weapons available, the more survivors seem to try to cooperate. I've heard a few stories of people spawning or meeting each other unarmed and banding together for a while.

At the moment everyone is so hot for getting a big fat gun and then they have this gun and want to put it to use, preferably against other players instead of the infected. Somehow the CoD switch gets turned on as soon as they have a rifle in their hands.

What if you would get a welding kit or a mechanics toolbox that you could only equip as primary? (like the hatchet). Then people would start to look for stuff to repair and others to protect them -> more bonding.

[/quote']

When you're unarmed, you have nothing to worry about. People can easily group and be friendly, however when armed individuals meet it's a different story. How can you trust that person not to shoot you? You shoot first of course.

Less guns doesn't help, because you're putting even more power into the hands of people who have found themvs those that haven't.

Lobo - you are validating my observation that when no weapons are available to players, people easily group and are friendly but also say that weapons at a lower availability are bad.

I am confused.