Riddick_2K

What better way to hide a vehicle?

As in the title...
DayZ Vanilla with low pop and play alone.
In your opinion, which is the best way to hide and/or protect a vehicle?
Closing it in a base is useless, as soon as they find it, 5/6 grenades are enough and everything is already gone (already happened several times).
Leaving it lying around in sight by removing the wheels and, perhaps, even the battery and spark plug is out of the question, too much work to put it back into operation and, in any case, the first passing by could do it.
And removing the wheels is always a high "take-off risk" operation. I took off a Golf found fresh and never used just by adding one of the 2 missing wheels.
Hide it in the woods?
I have already found some, in the woods near "useful" places... generally I left them where they were, but if I needed them, given how all the others do, I would have no qualms about taking it. And so do almost everyone.
In a wood "lost in deserted areas"?
And can you go there with a Volga, a Skoda or a Golf ? (Maybe with a Niva, if I found him)
And then going to retrieve it when needed becomes a feat... always with the doubts that in any case someone passes through it anyway.
A garage made with a double turret? They are very difficult to position, these fu** programmers have made them more and more impossible to assemble... And anyway, only 5/6 grenades are enough, but maybe, in this case, they think about it so as not to ruin the vehicle... maybe... if they don't destroy everything out of "simple envy".
I really don't know what to do.
How would you do it?

I have several parking spots. If I’m lucky to possess a vehicle, every few days, I will try to move it to the next spot. If I’m lucky, it will be there next time I check. The longest I had a car in one spot without theft was 3 weeks! But that is absurdity. Usually, it won’t last 5-7 days in one spot.

• Beans 1

I once parked a car near the edge of the map at one of those border check points with the lines of car wrecks. Took the parts off and buried them nearby. It just looked like part of the line of cars and was there for an age. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The system of "hiding" it among other carcasses is nice, but it will work until someone goes to look for spare parts. In this case, you will immediately realize that it is a usable car and not a carcass.
Yes, on a server where I play little, I also have a car at the "edges of the map", but hidden among the bushes... and after more than a month it is still there (I still hope at the moment I am writing 😁) , but it is a server where I play very little and where I have no base yet, the machine is not essential to me. I need a system to hide a car near the base that I have (on the outskirts of a northern city; but I'm thinking of changing that too because it has already been raided 3 times), so that I can use it when I need it without having to make long journeys or complex reconstructions.
Anyway thanks to everyone for the suggestions.
I also understand the "problem" that, as soon as someone writes a "good" way to hide something in a public forum, after many read it, that system is no longer so "good" 😉

It only takes one grenade to destroy the car if you try to hide it, somebody can drive off unless you stash the parts, then they'd they have to find them. That could take an hour or two if you buried them within 500 meters.
You should really lock it tightly into a garage, car tent, a base of any kind with a gated lock. Then stash the parts, well hidden and the tools to assemble separately and take it out sparingly. You're more likely to lose a car
while out driving it around than if it's at your base. Even if they have grenades, they'd still need to find the parts which can take many days. So hiding them is really necessary, and so is a garage to protect the car itself.

Edited by Dialectic

no point in hiding vehicle unless it's very very very important (building purposes for example). People stash those things, use it rarely - especially on hardcore servers - and the other players cannot use them at all because there are none left.

If I don't have a base I usually hide it well in the woods and take off 2 wheels, spark and battery.

3 hours ago, Riddick_2K said:

The system of "hiding" it among other carcasses is nice, but it will work until someone goes to look for spare parts

Yeah, this is certainly true. Back when I did this was before car parts spawned on wrecks. Most people didn't bother searching wrecks that far inland because there was generally nothing of much use. But now I suppose its a bit riskier. 

I don't really bother with vehicles and bases. Lots of work for little benefit. But sometimes if I'm just roaming about and come across a car that doesn't need too much fixing on it I might repair it. But I'll generally leave it somewhere in the open when I log off as I only get on occasionally so hopefully someone else can benefit from it.