John_Raven

Boars for Bandits or how I think I've interpreted 'winning' at DayZ

(Before you go down and hit reply to point out there is no "Winning" in this mod, realize I know that already I'm just making an observation, read the thread before you reply based just on the title please. ) ;)

So I've been playing DayZ for awhile now (since about mid June-ish) and its been a great deal of fun, a steep learning curve and some frustrations but all in all it's been a blast put simply.

Now onto the topic, so I began to realize that through playing the only real 'objective' in this mod is survival and how long that takes. After [X] amount of deaths at the hands of [doors in prone/zeds/bandits/falling off hospital roofs] random events, I think I now have a handle on what I want to try next.

If survival is the name of the game I'm going to play it like that. So I've stocked up on the items I need to survive, guns; check, ammo; check, hatchet, knife, water bottle and matches; check x4.

Having found a quiet out of the way area with access to water, animals to hunt, and med supplies (acquired after having crawled on my belly about 100k to a hospital no less) I now have enough items to make a go at seeing just how long I can 'survive' in this.

I don't mean this post to indicate that everyone should play this way nor do I think it will be overly exciting (though sneaking out of my mountain retreats to pick up supplies has been surprisingly challenging and fun) I just like logging in and seeing my "Day: X" counter going up over time while I do just enough to 'stay alive'. I'm enough of a realist to know that avoiding the mechanics of the game enough 'just to get by' might not be much fun in anyones book but I like the thought experiment and challenge of it. Just want to see how far I can go on this guy now.

Basically I have to survive on my wits and supplies I have, can I do it if I avoid things like high population area's (lotsa zeds); or military areas (bandits mainly) while still putting myself into a position where I still need to do things to maintain my survival.

I'm only posting this to spark a conversation about 'just surviving' is it challenging enough, is it fun enough to keep me interested, we'll see... I'll be back to posting updates periodically if anyone seems interested in it, otherwise carry on and good luck out there fellow survivors. :D

There are people who play sky rim and don't quest they just live in the game, explore and sell stuff, it's your game play it how you like but I do the same, only time I go near a city is for meds

There are people who play sky rim and don't quest they just live in the game' date=' explore and sell stuff, it's your game play it how you like but I do the same, only time I go near a city is for meds

[/quote']

I've done exactly that in Skyrim and Oblivion before it, but just in the sense of not doing the main quests in those, but I suppose this is similar in that I'm avoiding somewhat of the main content to focus on the side (maybe 'meta'?) game.

But what are you to do when you got food, water and don't need to eat/drink?

Are you just going to sit in the woods scouting on some lonely zeds at a house?

This is pretty much how I play as well, although I tend to run around in cities just for shits and boggles. Keep in mind that not all of the content is in game yet, so this play style may become more challenging in the future. I for one certainly hope it does, and right now I'm just trying to keep my character alive until 1.7.2 is released.

This is pretty much how I play as well' date=' although I tend to run around in cities just for shits and boggles. Keep in mind that not all of the content is in game yet, so this play style may become more challenging in the future. I for one certainly hope it does, and right now I'm just trying to keep my character alive until 1.7.2 is released.

[/quote']

I used to play like you, but now I'm super geared and have nothing to loot, so i just end up shooting other survivers looking for Mountain Dew. Got my first one today. =)

But what are you to do when you got food' date=' water and don't need to eat/drink?

Are you just going to sit in the woods scouting on some lonely zeds at a house?

[/quote']

I tend to go out and explore, as I use up water n food I need more so it's self sustaining gameplay because of the mechanics of hiking around using up water and food.

@Gravelsack I tend to agree it should be a bit more difficult but not so much that it removes the ability to do it, otherwise it's just an FPS with Zombies and friendly fire, with it in there there's a way to have multiple play styles and remain fun.

Hey Bro

I played like this for a few days, had a great time scoping out remote places like Devil's Castle and Black Lake but then, well, I guess I got lonely and decided to head back to civilization to see if the whole apocalypse had blown over.

Turns out things were worse than ever, zombies...everywhere and the humans that were left had turned in less than animals, all of them hell-bent on murdering me for my beans.

Get yourself kitted out and head back into the wilds, hopefully in a few months the whole area will be yours for the taking.

I tried just surviving. I got bored and went on an adventure to NWAF, met a server hopper who got me down to 1k blood but Alt f4'd before I could deal the killing blow.

I am now back to just surviving.

@Gravelsack I tend to agree it should be a bit more difficult but not so much that it removes the ability to do it.

What I mean by 'challenging' is not so much that it become more difficult to stay alive, (as in by zed being tougher etc) but rather that there be a wider variety of things that have to be done to stay alive, such as resource allocation, and time management.

As it is now, once you find the basic survival kit you're pretty much set.

@Gravelsack I tend to agree it should be a bit more difficult but not so much that it removes the ability to do it.

What I mean by 'challenging' is not so much that it become more difficult to stay alive' date=' (as in by zed being tougher etc) but rather that there be a wider variety of things that have to be done to stay alive, such as resource allocation, and time management.

As it is now, once you find the basic survival kit you're pretty much set.

[/quote']

Agreed definitely! :)

I was doing this (surviving) when my friend came over. I showed him a barn (full of zombies). A bastard ran through a crate and broke my leg in one hit. I got revenge with my m16a2 and crawled to the nearest store. I didnt find any morphine so i got more revenge, made peace with the world, and put one bullet in my own head. If only i had [fill in the blank] then i would still be alive lol. Can't wait for 1.7.2. when broken legs are fixed!