Crankgorilla

A few solid sessions in....

I'm enjoying DayZ a lot more now knowing how things operate. What might help is a backstory that tells that you are basically starving from the get go. Fruit alone will keep you alive for a while, but your need for more is immediately apparent. Get a knife and carve up a chicken. that meat will sustain a lot longer. I ate fruit while I scavenged around towns for equipment and tinned food.

Once the controls become more intuitive, the flow of the game becomes a lot better. I do like how the quick select can be utilised while running and during the action.

Fruit is a good way to get started and appear under trees generally around and in towns. Fruit will generally appear as white dots on the ground and are easily spotted once you know what you're looking for. The menu button will show up anything in the immediate surrounds in the left hand panel, which is sometimes useful when spotting for fruit on the ground.

Find a knife and chickens can be butchered. Be sure to wear gloves, or wash your hands at a well after butchering to avoid salmonella poisoning. Find the well before butchering. then butcher then wash hands immediately. If you eat after butchering without washing hands, you will become very ill. If you wear gloves you don't seem to need to wash hands.

Find an axe and trees can be cut. Timber can be used for fires. Easy to use fireplaces in houses. Rags for tinder can be used. Knife can be used to get rags out of most clothing. If you make an open fire in the field, you need a long sharpened stick to cook the meat on, combine the meat and stick in inventory.

Found a compass and headed north.

Found some sheep. Butchered a couple and cooked them up, smoked some meat also.

Stay out of the rain. One has to wait it out to avoid getting sick. Use the time to repair your equipment or cooking food.

Bandage any wounds immediately with rags to stop bleeding. Always have rags on hand.

Sewing kits are good. Hold clothing in hand and combine in inventory, then repair on holding right trigger.

Axe for trees and animals. Knuckle dusters were great for dispatching zombies. Guns attract zombies.

There's much more to explore in DayZ. I'm figuring out farming now. That will be my next adventure.... Did take a few sessions to get all this figured out and it's helpful to look up some things online to help in how things are done. There's no manual or tutorial with the game and in that case it can be a bit daunting initially. I hope that DayZ continues to be developed further as it's a lot of fun to travel such a vast land.

Edited by Crankgorilla

@Crankgorilla glad to hear you're getting into it. It is a learning curve and your also learn to survive/avoid some of the killer bugs. But death is part of the cycle, however it finds you. It really is quite a unique game and worth persevering with. Also a more rewarding experience when played with friends. 

check out the dayz wiki  especially for crafting.. you will be amazed what you can do and even stuff to help freshies

heres a couple that might help freshies but there is many more!

2 small stones combine to make a knife
(knife will open canned food... also screwdrivers will open tins too.. along with most tools... and knife needed to cut up chicken if you kill one!)

use knives to cut up clothing (best to use ones in green condition if using for rags..)

but if you need rope... 6 rags combine to make a rope

people think making fires is a big deal... aside from the fact they are bright and give away your position... u can use a rag, bandage or paper for kindling and you can make a fire just with short sticks.. and 3-5 short sticks can be long enough to dry your clothing out if your waterlogged.. stand beside and it warms you up ...   firewood added is better for longer fires and for cooking etc.. but to just dry out and warmup since last patch its become more essential!

footwear is critical... leatherkits to fix them.. hiking boots are a gold find if you find them as a freshie.... working boots good too.. then trailshoes... then your running shoes/athletics  eventually military boots are better but hunter and hiking are very durable

I knew you'd love the game. Once it clicks you have it. Time and patience is all it takes. A whole world of adventure is now open to you. Go my friend and head north to see what awaits you. 

P.s sorry for saying you were born stupid. It was for motivational purposes. 🙂

Figured out the farming now. 

You need a shovel or a pick, then all your food troubles are over. Set the plot up anywhere there's dirt, and the terrain allows with the right trigger. Then plant some seeds, they're fairly common. Then water. A full plastic water bottle will do. Wait around ten minutes. I don't even bother with meat now. Eat a pumpkin and you're pretty much set to go. Disappointing that there's not more to grow and do with it. Maybe in the next, next update. They should probably do something with farming animals (building places to keep them etc).

I'm here to check when exactly this 1.11 update is going to be. It has just hit the 16th here and there's no point in doing anything until it is done.

• Like 1