Sign in to follow this  
Omikse

I am a Noob

Hey all: 

I am new to DayZ. Been wondering around on the Official servers to try and get a handle on how to play. I am finding it a bit difficult in learning this game since so far I have not found a tutorial for it to help me get the basics down. Is there someplace other than YouTube the can help with this? I look at the community servers but they all seem to be password so no entry there. What do I need to do to get get on one of those? So help a noob out and point me in the right direction.

@Omikse

There really isn't a tutorial for DayZ -- you learn by playing.

First and foremost, you need patience to play at first, because you will die quite often -- sometimes to the environment, sometimes to a bullet through the brain.

I would start by learning the map.  Use an external resource like iZurvive to get an idea of where things are.  You can use the town signs on the roads to pinpoint your location.  Once you figure out where you are, choose a destination and make it your goal to get there.  Loot the towns and areas along the way.

The most important item you'll need at first is a knife.  If you can't find one, search for a pick axe or sledgehammer and if you find one of those, you can bang them against large boulders to chip off stones that you can combine and turn into a stone knife.  You can search for stones along paths as well.

Once you have a knife, you're golden in terms of surviving.  Search for wildlife to kill and cook.  You can use the knife to cut them up, but also to scrape some bark off a tree in order to get a fire going.  Look for a house with a chimney and you'll most likely be able to cook your kill in there.

Kill as many of the infected as you can as some of them have loot on them, including food.  Once you find a well in one of the towns, make sure you drink until your stomach is full (you'll see an icon pop up -- make sure you stop immediately once you see that).  Drinking a lot at the well is important to remain hydrated for a while.  Depending on how thirsty to you are at the time, it could take 20 sips or more to fill your stomach.

In regards to that, don't sprint at first -- stay off the shift key!  It may take you a while to find food and drink, so until then, it's best to conserve your energy loss by jogging and not sprinting.  Along those lines as well, the clothes you spawn with are probably poor, so look for clothes to loot and try to find clothes with high or best insulation which will go a long way to help keeping you warm.  Heat packs can help as well, loot them, crack them on and spread them out across your body.

My general rule of thumb as far as interacting with people is if their gun is away, it's okay, if their gun is out, be cautious.  You will get a lot of KoS (Kill on Sight) with DayZ, but you will also meet some great people and have some wonderful adventures.  F1 your hand up as you approach to show you're friendly.

At first though, it'll be lots of respawns.  Be patient and you'll get the hang of it in no time.

As for servers, just sort the community tab on population and join servers with med or high pop if you want interactions or low if you just want to explore and learn the map a bit at first with few encounters with other players.  Some are whitelisted and require a password, but many are not.

Yeah I am learning as I go. I have figured out most of what you have said already. Most of it is learning the key and what they do. Although I did not know about the rock suggestion. As I said before in the community tab of servers, they all are password protected so I cant get into any of them. And they official servers, so far to me, don't seem to have good loot. I guess I should learn to crawl before I walk. Either way, thanks for the advice.

5 hours ago, Omikse said:

As I said before in the community tab of servers, they all are password protected

There are plenty that are not password protected, so not sure why you are saying this.  RunningManZ servers (and other servers by Spaggie) for example are not, did you see those?

Every time I try the community servers, they are all password locked. The only one I have seen so far are the official servers that not all password locked