Sign in to follow this  
gandhi's flip flop

What does lifetime mean ?

So they changed LIFETIME for loot from 2-3 hours to 24-48 last update and now it will be 4-8 hours with 1.10 does anyone know what lifetime exactly means. Does it mean spawn time after a place is loot ? or just loot that is never picked being changed with a different one ? Or both or something totally different. I am looking for a real answer not just a guess so please don't say "oh yeah it means this" even though it is just a theory 🙃

My understanding is that it represents the amount of time it will remain on the ground, whether in its original spawn point or from wherever it was dropped by a player, before it despawns.  I believe the timer gets reset however if the item is looted, carried for a bit by a player and then dropped somewhere else.  I experienced this myself when there were 24/48 hour timers as I was able to stash a gun in a bush and find it again almost 24 hours later.  I had looted the gun from a loot spawn point, so you have to add however number of hours it had been sitting in that spawn point as well.

So basically, lifetime is the amount of time an item will stay in one location before it despawns.

• Beans 1

Is it 4 hours for some things and 8 for others? Or is it somewhere between 4 and 8 hours for each object?

53 minutes ago, Tonyeh said:

Is it 4 hours for some things and 8 for others? Or is it somewhere between 4 and 8 hours for each object?

for weapons

WJ7x1LW.png

• Thanks 1
  • Beans 1

Yeah, for people wondering what the times are, I suggest you download DayZ Server from the Tools option on Steam and then look at the types.xml file as @aux7 has shown a portion of here and then you'll see the times for everything.  Globals.xml has timers as well for things like when ruined stuff despawns, etc.

• Thanks 1