Sign in to follow this  
Kohlbar

Contamination and sickness

Ok, I was playing with my friend, we were killing zombies, eating stuff, hunting and skinning/quartering animals, and we both ended up getting sick. After a while we noticed eating anything and drinking water caused us to immediately puke. I tried to get to the bottom of it by trying different things. Anything I ate/drank from my inventory (even chlorinated water) immediately caused puking. However, drinking soda from a zombie by putting it in my hand, not in my inventory didn't make me puke. Drinking directly from a well didn't make me puke. I found some sardines on a table, opened the can without putting it in my inventory, ate them and they also didn't make me puke. Eating pills/charcoal had no lasting effect. I came to the hypothesis that everything in my inventory was somehow contaminated. Did the meat taint my inventory? How far would the disinfecting have to go to clear the sickness causing stuff? I know almost everything in the game is able to be disinfected, so would I have to spray the backpack, the food inside the backpacks, my knives, my clothes? I you ask me the sickness is a pretty extreme mechanic right now. Not saying it's a bad thing, just damn, it's hard.

Lol did you eat with blood on your hands? Make sure you wash your hands... Also i don't think things get contaminated, you just needa find some tetracycline pills to cure yourself, i think multi vitamins can cure most if not all illnesses aswell. Pro tip eat and drink small amounts of food & water so you don't puke. Most bottled water you find needs to be chlorinated aswell.

Bruh I know! I ate plenty of tetra pills, tried eating small amounts, any amount made me puke! I could go at the water fountain for minutes though, and no puking. I'm honestly wondering, because I've heard about things getting contaminated, how far it goes in DayZ or if it's just a glitch. I had gloves on when I skinned animals, so I didn't think I had blood on my hands, unless bloody gloves are also a thing. It was so strange and it didn't resolve until I died. A tiny portion of canned food from my inventory would make me puke, then I would eat a whole can of food from the environment and keep it down just fine. I hope someone else has had this experience. It was on Xbox version, so I don't know what similarities the sickness mechanic has between that and pc.

Edited by Kohlbar
clarifying that inventory food made me sick, not outside food

I even chlorinated water from my inventory while it was in my hands, drunk it, immediately puked it up, went to a water well, and drank until I was content with no puking. I'm honestly starting to think this is either a bug or a faulty part of their sickness system, because however you look at it this is not realistic lol

You have cholera and you got it from drinking with blood on your hands from killing zombies.

You'll have to let the disease run it's course. Or top yourself.

As mentioned above, just eat and drink really small amounts and you'll have a better chance of keeping it down. But even then, you may just puke anyway. I think the puking is sort of random too. You may not puke up all the time.

8 hours ago, Tonyeh said:

You have cholera and you got it from drinking with blood on your hands from killing zombies.

You'll have to let the disease run it's course. Or top yourself.

As mentioned above, just eat and drink really small amounts and you'll have a better chance of keeping it down. But even then, you may just puke anyway. I think the puking is sort of random too. You may not puke up all the time.

So to avoid it, wash hands after killing zombies?

Wash hands after you butcher an animal. Personally, I’ve never seen a prompt to wash hands after killing zeds. 

eat vitamins/tetra

Edited by Parazight

Thought gloves took care of that. Thanks, though, will do.

23 hours ago, Kohlbar said:

So to avoid it, wash hands after killing zombies?

Wash your hands constantly. Or wear gloves.

On 9/16/2020 at 1:00 PM, Funkmaster Rick said:

I believe gloves only help if you take them off when eating.

Can someone else confirm/deny this?  I got the impression that wearing gloves negates the need to wash hands after gutting animals.  Of course it would be totally understandable from a realism pov, but I just don't want to bother with that.