Sign in to follow this  
Glock2693

Question About Servers

So, I'm not all that new to the game, but whenever I play, I always just join a server that's under the "official" tab. I never really understood what the servers under the "community" tab were for. Like I said, I'm not that new to the game, but I would most likely consider myself a beginner when it comes to my knowledge of the servers and stuff. I just like playing the game for fun. Could someone just give me an explanation of the differences between the "official" servers and the "community" ones? Like which ones are better/more fun, what differences (if any) there are in gameplay, etc. 

I come onto the forums here a lot to read posts, but I haven't really had any luck finding a post that deals directly with the question I asked. Sorry in advance if there is a post somewhere covering this! I literally registered an account on here just to make this post, so any knowledge would be appreciated. Thanks!

community servers are not controlled by bohemia, and the owners, like myself, put mods on it and have custom setups   restarts times, night/day, server slots, map in rotation etc   

Note - this applies for pcs only

"official" servers

Run by a server provider for Bohemia. Also directly by Bohemia

Run as a hive so you can jump across to any server in the hive with your character

night/day times, weather and other characteristics are usually also set/fixed.

No admin is present

Game is standard vanilla release

There are approximately 172 official servers worldwide

ping is now restricted to below 300, as ping varies it may be that playing on any server above 250  ping and you "may" be kicked off

official servers tend to be PVP only

Official servers have two maps - Chernarus and  Livonia

servers have no method of contact to resolve issues other than this forum and the bug reporting page

No monetisation of the server

there are no gameplay rules other than those controlled by battleye

top ten official servers

26EfbrH.png

"community" servers

Run by a server provider paid for by a someone who wishes to run a server, or a standalone home server

Not in a hive system and so your character is only on that server.

night/day times, weather and other characteristics are usually customised.

Admin is possible and usually present. Activity depends and varies from server to server

game can be vanilla, but more usually has a variety of mods added to improve/vary the game play

There are approximately 4181 official "live"servers worldwide, with another 3000 (approx) intermittant part time servers

ping is/can be set by the server owner

Community servers run through PVP/PVE and through to "roleplay" types of play

Community servers have a number of custom maps as well as the two official maps

The current top 48 servers by population are community servers and run high pop.

servers usually have a discord or other means of contacting the admins for help assistance etc

The server might be monetised in some form. Some ask for donations (its up to you), some have mods that need payment to access and so on. Monetisation has to be approved by Bohemia and a list of these servers is available here - https://www.bohemia.net/monetization

there are usually but not always gameplay rules beyond those controlled by battleye. you have to contact the server owners to find out these rules

top ten community servers

R996isK.png

Advice

find a server you have friends on . . . .  play there if you like playing in groups. If you have no friends playing DayZ . . .  .. .

if you are more of a lone wolf, its up to you which server you play on

there are some run die retry type pvp servers if you want that.

If you want to build, it might be that a roleplay server would be best

ping from you to the server is likely to have the biggest influence on the quality of the gameplay. Choose a low ping server

If your ping goes much over 400 your game play quality will not be very good

Your graphics card will/is likely to be running pretty much flat out

dont use wifi to connect

Edited by aux7