SilverShadow

Remove tents completely.

So here's my suggestion: Remove tents completely (but please at least those annoying camps outside the map).

So the whole object behind the game is surviving in an apocalyptic world with basically nothing as you start. Especially in the current version this creates a really great tension, but tents ruin all of that experience.

DayZ is meant to be a game, where you're really punished for dying (losing all of your gear). But this is at odds with the whole tent system; it's not difficult to hide your tent somewhere (and maybe even protect it with some barbed wire) so that you can get at least the basic gear when you die. And yes, other players can find your camps, but this didn't happen very often primarily when you set up more than 1 camp.

There's no punishment for going to dangerous places like NWA, when you can leave most of your gear during that trip in your tent.

And if you're playing with a bigger group (like I do) you have a bunch of good weapons and basically pretty much all of the useful stuff in your camp (Actually I don't set up my own camps because it destroys the whole feeling of the game; however my teammates do).

Example: Few days ago I shot a sniper at NWA (fully equipped with ghillie; honestly he couldn't aim at all) and I read that he was dead in the bottom left corner [i guess those are the players who snipe other players for fun, because they've more than enough good gear in their camps].

Half an hour later I met (and shot) him again, a little bit more south. With a ghillie, nightvision, sniper rifle and some food/drinks & medical stuff. Seriously? At least I think that this is not how Day-Z is supposed to be at the current state of the mod (Maybe if you have some real endgame content later on, but not now).

So on the one hand side you got that core mechanic of perma death and lost gear and on the other hand side you got tents, that basically disable the whole core gameplay of the mod.

I dont't think that's how Day-Z is supposed to be, but i appreciate your feedback.

• Like 1

err i say not to be honest, tents are part of the whole reason why i stay stuck to this game, specifically because i see the intention of permafixtures on servers and oooh the potentials for where that could lead to.

If the game is developed along the lines id hope for then groups of people would have far more established set ups whilst tents would literally be essential for the lone wolves or tiny groups operating far away from established safe zones.

and ps, half an hour later you saw him again south of NWA with gillie sniper and NVG?

potentially very unlucky

:S a very happy camper or hacker methinks

While I like having the tent system, I agree that the player you shot for the second time thirty minutes later fully equipped is crap. Makes me suspect some foul play on his/her part.

But this is why I like the tent system. I have a backpack but for the moment it is full with food, water (soda), meds, and ammo. I still like to scavenge though as that is the primary reason I play this game. So I enjoy having a tent to store some of the stuff I may need later on in case I unexpectedly run through my ammo or food. Plus, I have died many times due to glitches so I don't think recouping some stuff with ease (relatively, as making it through the coast with nothing can be challenging) is all that unfair, not to mention ending up in a debug wasteland.

I am against of removing tents, your problem seems to be something else besides tents however.

You have the problem of another player gearing up so quickly.

At the moment guns are way too abundant, yet the reason this is I assume because originally they were the only weapons ingame until the 2 melee weapons.

When zombies are corrected in movement, and more melee weapons are put in hopefully, guns will be rare enough to even treasure a Makarov.

When it gets to that point, zombies would become more dangerous then now, aswell as in the future duplication should be fixed.

But as of now, weapons are abundant aswell as able to be duplicated, so of course its extremely easy to gear up now.

I believe when guns are rare, aswell duplication fixed, that if you find them, and have a good enough spot to hide them, you deserve to keep them.

Honestly though I think they used tents because it was easier to implement, in this scenario I would think burying your items underground would be a viable option aswell, to store your items.

I am gonna say no OP, as the second poster said I too only really play cause I have tent. No it isn't filled with great equipment but I like having a stash of tools and food/water if need be. If you remove tents remove vehicles while you are at it.

err i say not to be honest' date=' tents are part of the whole reason why i stay stuck to this game, specifically because i see the intention of permafixtures on servers and oooh the potentials for where that could lead to.

If the game is developed along the lines id hope for then groups of people would have far more established set ups whilst tents would literally be essential for the lone wolves or tiny groups operating far away from established safe zones.

and ps, half an hour later you saw him again south of NWA with gillie sniper and NVG?

potentially very unlucky

:S a very happy camper or hacker methinks

[/quote']

As I said, rocket could reintroduce tents when there's some real endgame content (e. g. safezones), but atm there's nothing more to do than searching for more equipment for your tents (or really rare weapons) besides PvP.

@cal

Somehow I don't think that he hacked. After that I just searched the corners of the map and the out-of-the-map. In an hour, I found +10 tents (1 camp with 5 tents) all fully geared up. Most of them were protected with some barbed wire and stuff (didn't really care about that ;)).

Well at least this is, in my opinion, not how Day-Z should be designed.

@Specter

That may be one problem. After you've found a decent primary gun it's not hard to farm lots of equipment in little time. I could have gotten +25 weapons with lots of ammunition and other stuff with my last character (~15h, then I died because of a server hopper).

If weapons were very rare I agree that you maybe could forget my suggestion.

I agree, removing tent would reduce the item farming and cause more contacts between players. Sure you have a save feeling knowing you got everything you need when you die, but thats exactly the problem. This game is not about farming items, but creating a good story. Looting stuff all the time and creating huge tent camps is no interesting story, but people (me too) do it because you simply can. If I would not be able to store my stuff in a tent, I wouldn't bother farming so much stuff and more often play the game like it was intented to be.

I think instead of removing tents from the game that they should have a despawn time like 20min after the a tent is set up and after the time is up the items from the tent and the tent it self should be spread out like 2-4 ft from the location the tent was set up.

why not remove tents but have the ability to drop and save your backpack for say a 1 or 2, that way you have a bag with gear for you or a short term storage point. But I'd say have it where you can only save one back pack per account, saving a new would delete the old. This to prevent people samming them and such.

Remove tents: NO

Dude come on the leave tents that way people arnt inclined to hack. At least with tents people have to work. you never know. The guy that you killed might have been hacking.

How about instead of remove tents add more fortification tools like hescos

Remove tents: NO

Dude come on the leave tents that way people arnt inclined to hack.

no need to hack when you can dupe all your gear right?

How about instead of remove tents add more fortification tools like hescos

Rocket addressed this directly. Although its nice to create there are some people who do this on a mas scale. Enough so that you cant get into into key areas. I remember finding a server where a chopper site had been completly blocked off.

The tents might as well be removed right now since they're not saving any equipment, and when they do, and you take it, it will be back there after a restart.

Probably the biggest problem of DayZ if I'm not counting ALT+F4

The tents might as well be removed right now since they're not saving any equipment, and when they do, and you take it, it will be back there after a restart.

Probably the biggest problem of DayZ if I'm not counting ALT+F4

Alt+F4? what does it do?

I understand your frustrations but you're picking the wrong target. The problem is that life has no value in and of itself; the only thing that makes your life valuable is the items you carry so if you can store it in tents then you have no worries again. But removing the tents is a backwards solution, we need to add value to life in some intrinsic way that can't be removed from the player and stored elsewhere.

nope didn't read nopenopenopenope

ncloseclosecloseclose

Edited by Ollox

why not remove tents but have the ability to drop and save your backpack for say a 1 or 2, that way you have a bag with gear for you or a short term storage point. But I'd say have it where you can only save one back pack per account, saving a new would delete the old. This to prevent people samming them and such.

That's exactly the same as tents except worse. ^_^

Tents are awesome. Why remove them, they are like a personal bank including your Cars/Trucks. This game nearly reminds me of "The Walking Dead" but zombies walk in the show unless they are in hungry horde.

Anyways in most of the Zombie Apocalypse movies people have camps and hideouts.

The thing that I would like to be improved from tents is to be placed anywhere so I can hide it under the bushes of a pine tree, hehe.

Tent are ok. At least, getting killed by other players doesn't stress you so much.

Oh, okay. So you're complaining that there's a storage system inside DayZ?

Nah, fuck that.

I've set up about four tents on my home server, and at least two of those have been raided. Tents are in no way safe, secure, or even remotely dependable. I'm not sure why I even use them, other than the fact that I don't want to be driving around a vehicle and die with rare gear inside.

Edited by Tsyn

How about when a player dies, any tents he owns are partially destroyed and some of the items stored inside are gone.

In real life, bears and other wildlife destroy campers tents and belongings. This way the player does not know what gear he has left as he is running back. So even an experienced player with a tent, will feel the same way as a noob when killed.