beavis_5000

Too Much Emphasis On Hunger And Thirst?

I understand food and hunger should be a thing that needs to be worried about but I find myself purely focused on finding food and drink. I don't care if I have 20 food and thirst items each, I am still going to be almost solely searching for hunger and thirst items. 

It's not even realistic how fast it goes down. Humans can survive 3 days without water and even longer without food. My Dayz dude certainly can't go that many day/night cycles without. 

Having to worry almost constantly and completely about thirst and hunger isn't hard, it's just boring, tedious and takes away from a more in depth experience. No variety just hunger and thirst. 

1 hour ago, beavis_5000 said:

I understand food and hunger should be a thing that needs to be worried about but I find myself purely focused on finding food and drink. I don't care if I have 20 food and thirst items each, I am still going to be almost solely searching for hunger and thirst items. 

It's not even realistic how fast it goes down. Humans can survive 3 days without water and even longer without food. My Dayz dude certainly can't go that many day/night cycles without. 

Having to worry almost constantly and completely about thirst and hunger isn't hard, it's just boring, tedious and takes away from a more in depth experience. No variety just hunger and thirst. 

I advise you hunt animals and collect a few lumps of fat from them, cook the fat and store it in your jacket if possible, even 1 lump in the jacket will warm your character and stop your hunger dropping fast. I would also say don't sprint everywhere if you are, eat about a quarter of 1 lump of fat and it will put your food up to full for hours. as for drink well that's all you will need to keep a track on, get a military water canteen and then your good and also get chlorine tabs so you can fill up from any water source with your bottle and purify it. hope that's helps you.

6 hours ago, beavis_5000 said:

The DayZ UI will also trick you a bit. When the food indicator goes white it doesn't mean you are full, it means you are just barely out starving. Keep eating as long as the arrows keep pointing upwards. Once you've built up a decent buffer of energy you won't need to look at the food again for hours. Same goes for water although the "reserve" you can build up is not as large for water. Also, sprinting accelerates energy drain three times over. If you are low on energy do not sprint. Jog or walk to conserve energy. Same goes for cold, it you are low on energy get in cover when it rains, being cold will drain energy dangerously fast.

• Beans 1

You get a stomach indicator when you are stuffed. While you don't need to eat in go, you know that you can always eat more until the stomach icon appears. 
Still it is true that your character can eat a ton and even when stuffed, your hunger and thirst will easily creep back. I will however; take noticeably longer to get back to yellow. Regardless, you can practically eat non stop all that you find as you move around. 

It's artificially stupid and it's the cheap "hardcore survival" element as you need to constantly observe your hydration and food, yet completely unrealistic. Especially food. I hope this gets tweaked to 0.62 values again, where drinking and eating plenty actually meant something and thus survival was … well survival and not Tamagotchi. Currently also all other elements are also exaggerated, like cold and rain where you get soaked instantly but also dry off in matter of minutes, you're freezing despite wearing heavy warm coat and so on. 

Thank you everyone big time for the replies. 

I want to clarify that I do thank this game is decent. In my opinion tho it just doesn't stack up to the mods but I think some small changes could make it the game we always wanted.

There are just a lot of cheap things they add in on here and label it as survival. Other examples besides thirst/hunger are finding a gun with no magazine and needing an ax or can opener to open a can of food. How many guns in real life are gonna be found with no mag or no ammo at all? And if I am starving I guarantee I can get into a can of food with no can opener. 

In my opinion a player should be able to survive several day night cycles without food but make food way harder to find. Keep the hunting system and the equipment needed to hunt as is. Also, zombies need to be a serious threat. Why even have zombies in the game? At least in the mods we try to avoid them rather than chase them down to kill them for loot. 

I mean let us go into the game and worry about actually surviving a zombie apocalypse. 

Again I think this game is decent and I will continue to play. I've always loved Dayz and really enjoy kicking back in my recliner to play. It's just frustrating because I think this game could be so much better. 

it's pretty f***in ridiculous how u starve to death the first day of existence, especially considering n i never sprint anywhere. n it's real hard to hunt an animal where the meat n fat is worth it when u first start off with not even a knife or anything that resembles a weapon. then u gotta skin it n sure can't do that with bare hands, not to mention u get blood on ur hands, if u are able to kill something, n it makes u sick. im real tired of dying from starvation n it raining ALL the f***in time. it's not even worth the stress to turn game on

Edited by Too Real

On 5/15/2020 at 10:09 AM, Homeschooliazon said:

Kill a deer/cow/sheep, cook all of it's meat and eat it all. You will be fed for at least 1.5 hours!

lol

On 5/19/2020 at 10:51 AM, Too Real said:

it's pretty f***in ridiculous how u starve to death the first day of existence, especially considering n i never sprint anywhere. n it's real hard to hunt an animal where the meat n fat is worth it when u first start off with not even a knife or anything that resembles a weapon. then u gotta skin it n sure can't do that with bare hands, not to mention u get blood on ur hands, if u are able to kill something, n it makes u sick. im real tired of dying from starvation n it raining ALL the f***in time. it's not even worth the stress to turn game on

I'm right there with you man. I'm a week into this game and I've given this game more chances than any game I've ever played. Usually I will play a game through a little bit and if I don't like it I will push to give it a few more chances just to make sure. I've given this game more chances than any other game I've ever played by far. 

I just loved the Arma 2 and 3 mods so much and I want to like this game so bad. I mean even when the hunger/thirst situation is more secure and you can explore there is just no excitement to it. Loot variety sucks. Gun variety is horrid. No worry about zombies. Just no excitement to play this game. 

I went trough Northwest Airfield about 6 times. Found an M4 and was happy. Continued to search to find something cool like an LMG or a nice looking 7.62 AR like the AK12. Nothing like that so I thought maybe I am looking in the wrong spot. I research and find the DayZ Wiki list of weapons and realize no LMG's and only one 7.62 rifle that looks old and worn (KA-M).

They stripped this game of all the good features and added tedious tasks like the hunger/thirst dynamic and find ammo but no gun and vice versa. Also got to find mag. Search for food. Search for something to open it with. Hunt.... make sure you wash hands. I mean come on lol. They very cheaply label this as survival. And none of this stuff is exciting to find like a sweet LMG or AK12 would be. 

What do I have look forward to? Stashing M4's and looking for food/drink. 

Edited by beavis_5000

On 5/20/2020 at 5:02 PM, beavis_5000 said:

What do I have look forward to? Stashing M4's and looking for food/drink. 

This game is about interactions with other survivors. It's your choice to act in a manner you see fitting or entertaining. This game is NOT about finding loot.

To be clear: All that shit you find laying on the ground all over the map is "fluff and fold."  (Except, of course, food and drink. Sorry it's a bitch for you, really, I am.)

If your MO is to loot military gear, look "cool," and rack up a kill count, that sounds like PUBG or CoD gameplay. By no means is this a wrong way to play the game! You are free to do so and I will not admonish your intentions. But to acquire such riches, one must be patient, be thorough, be persistent, sometimes aggressive, and fully understand that they are not entitled to find and possess these items.

Edited by EzyStriderPS4

Furthermore, when you spawn on the coast, it is very much apparent that you are a civilian, possibly just experienced a horrible misfortune at sea, and haven't been fed or hydrated properly. These are your primary tasks as a human, not a Navy SEAL.

The first 30 minutes are always the hardest in Dayz. You need to find food and water. Village wells help the water situation, you just need a container to put it in. Food, slightly harder but there's usually a can or two in a village. Then find any weapon, hunt a deer, goat, pig, cow, wolf etc. Kill, cook, eat the fat.

I keep 2 chunks of fat in my inventory, its the #1 food source.