Zalic

What's the best weapon to hunt with?

I like hunting in this game but one shot kills on big game can be tough because they're fast and often run away. Any suggestions on the best way or gun to down your prey with the least amount of effort. So far I've downed a cow with a dome shot using the blaze with both rounds. Haven't tried it on bucks or bores yet. Also shooting a cow while it's running away up the ass gives you very little meat and fat. FYI

Automatic weapons. Saiga with buckshot. They are too tough and head health was doubled for some reason.

If you shoot a stag in these specific spots with a .308 or 7.62x54R, it will go down in one hit. Front leg is easier. If you miss by a couple inches it will run away.

H9iFFsd.png

• Thanks 1

Shot a deer in the neck last night with a repeater. One shot kill. At a guess the range was probably around 200 meters at the most, so not sure how range affects this. 

• Beans 1

All the animals discussed in this thread can be downed with one bullet if you aim for their heart and lungs.  I have been successful with these calibers with one shot: 7.62x39mm / .308 WIN / 7.62x54mmR.  @-Gews- was kind enough to post an illustration of the kill zone.  Use the front dots (left, in the picture) as a reference.  Imagine the torso as having a top third, a middle third, and a bottom third.  Aim for the bottom third, below the shoulder of the animal, again, using the red dots as a reference.

7 hours ago, EzyStriderPS4 said:

All the animals discussed in this thread can be downed with one bullet if you aim for their heart and lungs.  I have been successful with these calibers with one shot: 7.62x39mm / .308 WIN / 7.62x54mmR.  @-Gews- was kind enough to post an illustration of the kill zone.  Use the front dots (left, in the picture) as a reference.  Imagine the torso as having a top third, a middle third, and a bottom third.  Aim for the bottom third, below the shoulder of the animal, again, using the red dots as a reference.

Unfortunately you can't use real life anatomy in DayZ. Here's my rough version. My aim points for one-shot kill don't cover any vital organs. You need to hit the specific spot.

3ALLoES.png

I made this video as an example:

• Like 1

Thank you for this description and video... glad there are ppl like you willing to help. The creators didn't help much with that lame tutorial.

Just use the good old double-barreled (BK-43) with buckshots in double fire mode. See my hunting success with this here:

It's probably also worth mentioning that an axe will drop cows, pigs and sheep with one chop. Don't know if it matters where you hit them. Generally I just run up to them swinging and they drop. Between that and fishing, food should never be an issue.