vfxtodd

Still can't light a fire.

Well, it's interesting that my character can sneeze when he's cold. But, my current character is near death because I can''t light a fire. I have several pieces of chicken meat, a box of Pristine matches, and a hand drill. But, I cannot light a fire. How is it that a game that's been in development for years still can't get a simple mechanic to work. It's a survival game. If I can't light a fire to cook food, how am I supposed to survive?

I guess by the time this character dies from starvation MAYBE I will be able to light a fire with my next spawn. Maybe?

Edited by vfxtodd

Just now, vfxtodd said:

Well, it's interesting that my character can sneeze when he's cold. But, my current character is near death because I can''t light a fire. I have several pieces of chicken meat, a box of Pristine matches, and a hand drill. But, I cannot light a fire. How is it that a game that's been in development for years still can't get a simple mechanic to work. It's a survival game. If I can't light a fire to cook food, how am I supposed to survive?

I guess by the time this character dies from starvation MAYBE I will be able to light a fire with my next spawn. Maybe?

Try describing exactly what you're doing so we can see if it's something you might be missing?  I've lit a few fires since the update and hadn't noticed a change in that mechanic although that doesn't mean it's not working for some people.

Cant recall but i assume ive lit one since the patches...

Simple method. Putting it all here even the duh parts cause who knows what you are missing.

Drop a log on the ground. Grab a single rag or sheet of paper (should get option to craft fireplace or w.e by looking) craft it.

Grab said matches in hand and look at it for light fire option. Psst light fire.

What i have noticed in recent patches it seems you can only place so many logs and small braches(pre lit) and apparently not while the fire is burning anymore like i used to do.

• Beans 1

You can also try just stopping tinder like a rag, paper or bark, equipping matched in hand and then you should be able to light it.  Again, I don't think you can add sticks or logs while lit but simply lighting the tinder will create a fireplace and you can add items afterward and reignite.

Edited by Kean__1
  • Beans 1

You can add sticks and logs whilst its burning, I'm always doing it

7 hours ago, Kean__1 said:

You can also try just stopping tinder like a rag, paper or bark, equipping matched in hand and then you should be able to light it.  Again, I don't think you can add sticks or logs while lit but simply lighting the tinder will create a fireplace and you can add items afterward and reignite.

I'm able to start a fire with rags and matches. So, I guess I can add sticks and logs to that?

I just realized I watched the wrong YouTube video. I found another video that showed that I had to add a rag to my fireplace. The first video I saw, it showed that you can make a fireplace with logs and a short stick. While that's clearly possible, they left out the rag part. Now, after adding a rag to my fireplace, I had no problems. Now, I will see if the hand drill will work, too. Probably will. LOL.

• Like 1

Glad to hear you got it sorted.  

Yes, you should be able to add wood and sticks after it is lit but IME, it doesn't always let me.  .....at first.  Sometimes I have to let the fire go out.  It still exists as a campfire though so then I will add the wood / sticks and the kindling (e.g. a rag, paper or bark) and then reignite the fire with matches. 

However, I think the main takeaway from this is that you do need the fire starter which is a rag, piece of paper (which you can get from unboxing an item like a headlight bulb or ammo), bark, etc.  

^^ Yes this. I always could before patches and now sometimes lile above i can amd other times i cannot add again till its out. Yea know DayZ an all

So the simple mechanic you mention in your original post actually worked all along, when really the issue was your own lack of knowledge.

I even told you in another thread, firewood, small sticks and bark. Combine them and you have a fire. Literally takes seconds.

On 2/24/2020 at 9:54 AM, etaab said:

So the simple mechanic you mention in your original post actually worked all along, when really the issue was your own lack of knowledge.

I even told you in another thread, firewood, small sticks and bark. Combine them and you have a fire. Literally takes seconds.

No. The only thing that's worked so far is if I combine a rag with firewood. I can light it with matches without a hitch. As I said, I watched a YouTube video where someone said I just combine a short stick and a log/firewood to make a fireplace. While I can do that, I cannot light it. Once I combined a rag with the firewood, I was able to light a fire. I haven't tried the hand drill with the rag/firewood, yet. But, I'm guessing it will work. 

Can bark be combined with firewood? So far, I've only made a hand drill with a short stick and bark. But, if there are other combinations, I am open to suggestions. I've only shared my experience so far.

Edited by vfxtodd

Just like in reality, you need kindling to start a fire quickly. Logs alone take some time and heat to get lit and an established fire take place.

It doesn't surprise me you couldn't light a fire without a form of kindling.

On 2/26/2020 at 7:39 PM, vfxtodd said:

No. The only thing that's worked so far is if I combine a rag with firewood. I can light it with matches without a hitch. As I said, I watched a YouTube video where someone said I just combine a short stick and a log/firewood to make a fireplace. While I can do that, I cannot light it. Once I combined a rag with the firewood, I was able to light a fire. I haven't tried the hand drill with the rag/firewood, yet. But, I'm guessing it will work. 

Can bark be combined with firewood? So far, I've only made a hand drill with a short stick and bark. But, if there are other combinations, I am open to suggestions. I've only shared my experience so far.

In answer to your question, yes.  You can use bark as fire starter although I usually just use a rag or paper as that's what I typically have on me most times.    

• Like 1

All is good. I figured out how to properly make a fireplace. So, I've been surviving by killing chickens and cooking them. Now, finding weapons and ammo is another adventure.