Sign in to follow this  
Exxoduss

Coughing, sneezing, achy head so you can rest medicine

I never thought in 10 years that I would welcome 7 wolves that ambushed me in the middle of the forest (without making any warning howls) as much as I did a few minutes ago...  I think it kept me from tearing my own head off..  Seriously. who ever placed the coughing and sneezing occurance levels in the game, please- Smoke a joint and play the game for 3 hours sick with the cold- in the middle of black forest- without a compass- in a rain storm that does not clear up- Starving (so to make you constantly make fires and cook a resavoire of meat, but only one at a time because some asshat is hunting you with an SKS(that dont make any noise as he walks around except for the occasional shot from his rifle letting you know he is getting closer) Then the server reboots and you come back facing an unknown direction under the same weather conditions. If you think about this scenerio, you will find a very agitated player at hour 3. so from illistrating this horrible rendition of reoccurance, I have 3 bullet points-

1. Coughing and sneezing are out of proportion and might increase actual suicide rates accross the statistics of DayZ players

2. Wolves that sneak up on you (as welcome as they were in the situation) would be ok if it was an actual game mechanic.

3. Players that sneak up on you without making any footstep sound with boots securly on there feet. Please increase distance of sound traveling from traversing brush and possibly even making wildlife start like birds flying away like the chicken. 

In the end- the wolves won my life, to my greatest relief. "Dayzquil"

• Like 1

Did you know- that a bag of sun chips gives off more Decibils of sound than a NewYork subway train heading straight towards you and passing by...?  I saw this on the Today show one morning before work... was an interesting fact.  My comparison is that traversing through brush makes a tremendous amount of sound.

Well perhaps a sound meter android app will help me determine this with a few trips through some tall bushes outside before I go stating this as fact...

To be continued...

Some Noises a realy unrealistic...the constand moaning from the animels..i never heard a cow moohs constandly or an Deer. The Wolfs sometimes growlyng without some breaks and they are realy loud

Edited by eisenmaik

Imagine popping antibiotics...getting rid of the cold and cough...only to discover your helmet is infected and will re-infect you. Without any alcoholic tincture or disinfect spray, I had only one option. Popping antis, until I found new headgear. 

Those wolves spawning ontop of you without any howls truly is only bested by the recent wave of hackers in terms of un-expected deaths...

But anyone who has been in nature knows that its never that quiet to allow footsteps to be heard from a meaningful distance away. Especially so in the rain. So in that regard, the game is rather realistic. 

On 2/23/2020 at 12:29 AM, Exxoduss said:

3. Players that sneak up on you without making any footstep sound with boots securly on there feet. Please increase distance of sound traveling from traversing brush and possibly even making wildlife start like birds flying away like the chicken. 

What was the environment you were in? There is no such thing as sneaking quietly in DayZ, you always make some kind if noise. However; if it was windy, you were making noises or there were other environmental noises of course you would not hear footsteps or a player who is careful enough. 

That was my point...

And then I mentioned something about Sound not traveling far enough, If you are part of the sound team... There are some major discrepencies in the game... there are more then a healthy share of instances where I will be traveling with someone and they will hear a gunshot and I will not, Then another alittle later where I can hear an animal and he cannot.(wolves howling comes to mind)  then where he will hear footsteps and I cannot, vice versa. It is game breaking when you die because of it. Esp. after 17 hours of grinding to get where you were prior to death by such. I am trying not to offend, I am just stating some observations that need attention. 

If they are known and are being worked on then please ignore.

13 hours ago, priit mölder said:

.only to discover your helmet is infected and will re-infect you. Without any alcoholic tincture or disinfect spray, I had only one option. Popping antis, until I found new headgear. 

Is this a thing? Umm I am srry but just because someone else gets a cold does not mean I am going to get it from them. Especially if my body has already been subjected and developed an immunity to it. The human body evolves. But of course antibiotics is not going to cure a virus. Antibiotics cures infections. And this mechanic is not fair for someone trying to trouble shoot a medical condition or in any way going to be on the scope of a "cause" beside the game being buggy... The sneezing and coughing could be a great number of things and should go away in time in game, I like the feature ALOT and the sneezing and coughing is great- but after 1 or two days it should go away and have NO CURE except for maybe earlier removal of the parameter by warmth and hot food, and possibly by vitamins. As far as my limited medical education knows- Once your body developes an immunity to a virus, that virus no longer is a threat, sorta like the bubonic plague.

Edited by Exxoduss

10 minutes ago, Exxoduss said:

Is this a thing? Umm I am srry but just because someone else gets a cold does not mean I am going to get it from them. Especially if my body has already been subjected and developed an immunity to it. The human body evolves. 

Yeah, that's not how viruses work. You either take shots before to protect yourself or you treat the sickness if you are exposed to it. There is only some chance that you will not get infected without any prevention but that's it. They could add shots of vaccination to medical centers as loot so that you can inoculate yourself or other player as prevention. Still not 100% guarantee you will never get sick. You still can get cold and sick from that. It's just you probably won't get a flu. 

• Thanks 1

PS- Just because "hot food" would change the removal of a virus, should not be a indication that having a virus makes you more hungry!  Like cold weather- Cold weather DOES NOT MAKE YOU HUNGRY. In fact eating in a cold enviroment makes you even more cold because the body diverts energy to the digestion system. in my experience cold weather is an appetite supressant. Eat more sugar in the cold to keep the body warm- I worked construction for 17 years... Cold weather  is just a thing. -5 degree F. all day long... Eating will make it seem even colder then it was before, but is soon gone (10-15 minutes) after going back to work. The cold weather does not make your body digest food any faster then it already digests. Hard work will, but the cold- Not in my experience. Hot weather is the same, except you burn up water quicker because the body perspires to keep itself cool, Sugar in hot weather will make you sweat like a train, If your body starts perspiring in below freezing temps and you start sweating, you need to remove clothing to cool off quickly or risk becoming sick from a virus that found a way past the immune system because of  cold agglutinin. the immune system attacks red blood cells (cold antibody hemolytic anemia) or hyperthermia. tweeking the body rapidly between hot and cold temps is not a good thing and can also cause pneumonia... THEN you will have a good reason to take the antibiotics. SO what you guys at Dayz are looking for here is SUGAR not Food. 

Edited by Exxoduss

Im telling you- Sugar is the worst drug on the planet.

"in this corner" Weighing 1,400 grams -Hypothalamus

VS

"in the other corner" Weighing 25-30 grams- Thyroid

Edited by Exxoduss

2 hours ago, Exxoduss said:

Is this a thing? 

Common cold is infectious, jumping to near by players (wiki). So, reasonable to say it would infect gear it comes in contact with. A closed moto helmet in particular. I have been meaning to try codeine pills as a cure, but these damn hackers keep killing me before I find any.  

Catching a cold you get from being cold- by coming into contact with gear that was in a warn location for a length of time is not a logical diffusion of trouble shooting the "cause" of a symptom. In this game it should be more of sufficient to contract a living virus through close contact (living or dead) or by the cold weather without adequate warmth. to just mysterously getsick from someones helmet when they where not sick after giving it to you or by finding it in a car 10 days later should "not" be a thing.  Just my opinion.

Now if you got sick from recieving an item from a SICK person- then ok- I can buy that... then I understand what happened. BUT continouesly getting sick from the item carried after you cured the ailment on yourself is not feasable

Edited by Exxoduss

Yeah, cant write off a bug aswell. But I had the character cough/sneeze in the helmet for like IRL 1h before I found antis. In total, I had to re-take pills 5 times before I found a new helmet. After which the re-infection stopped. It was a sunny day with no rain and I was dressed warm, so no chance of getting re-infected from the environment. 

Should be a useful thing to know if it actually is a mechanic or not...

Edited by priit mölder

Wether its a mechanic or not, is a decent question. But if none of the other items recieved from sick player does NOT get you sick- Then it is BOTH.Meaning they are testing it with the helmet. Once they get it to work correctly with the helmet, then they will address it to all other items. soat the current state- it is a bug but a intentional bug- if that makes sence?  (shrug) That is my guess.