Sign in to follow this  
Exiiile

[FIXED] The world has become entirely barren

EDIT: Fixed by resetting all video settings.

Hey all, got a cute little problem here. I originally installed everything correctly, no error messages, and I've played for a few hours.

Today I get on and go walking through a forest and eventually the forest stops. I keep walking through massive rolling plains that have no vegetation or trees or buildings. I keep walking.... and walking.... and walking. It starts to dawn on me that there's still no vegetation, no trees, no nothing. Just green.

I walked all the way to coast line and there's no railroad tracks, I've walked to the one island there is in the South East, and there's nothing on it, nothing around it.

Nothing is anywhere.

I've verified integrity of both ARMA 2 and OA and I've tried making new profiles but... nothing seems to work. Any ideas?

The thing is though, this all seemed to happen seamlessly. It wasn't barren in all directions when I left the forest, the forest was still there, but every other part of the game world is barren. In that way, it makes no sense that it'd be a driver error.

You might have walked off the map, as in walked off the detailed map. The map has no boarders, but the detail stops at a certain point. If you're unable to backtrack to the detailed map, you might have to considering taking the easy way out and clicking respawn.

Respawn would just kill me and, when I'd make a new character, the world would still be barren.

I did manage to fix it, however. I simply defaulted all my video settings and that seemed to do the trick! =)

Did you go a little bit too far? The Chernarus is "only" 220 or so sq.km, but once you left the boundary of the real world terrain, procedurally generated terrain starts to kick in to N and W sides (E and S is just the sea). Maybe you crossed the line into "hic sunt leones" land of nobody ;-) ? (especially if you spawned on the NE coast, running to the N would take you into the procedural land in about 30-60minutes running...). Just go back ;-) Or you might be lucky and find an oasis or something :) Nope...

Turn around you have walked off the edge of the map!

But the thing was, the coast was to my right and I was running North. I then stopped, turned West, and ran West for a very small amount of time. There's no possible way I ran off the edge of the map!

That all said though, I did fix it, so huzzah!

Welcome to the endless world.

You should try that in Takistan, its a real desert out there.